Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing the Leaving

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Okay, what makes you fail the Leaving Cert? I heard to pass you need to pass two of Irish, English or Maths. Is this true?

And if so, what happens if say a person needs 300 points and gets the 300 points but say fails Irish and Maths. Does the fact that the person failed mean anything if they still get the points that they needed to get into the course they would like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody ever covered 'failing' when i was around.. but I assume if you completely bomb Math and Irish and English your chances of making it into college drop off to near zero... so yeah I'd consider that failure in an unofficial sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Usually if u fail it, the best thing to do is to repeat, as overheal mentioned.. no chances what so ever of making into college.. :(
    Make sure to pass now ;)

Failing all your subjects causes you to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Myth wrote: »
    Failing all your subjects causes you to fail.

Nope, I think only failing one or more of the main 3, Irish, English, or Maths equates to a failed LC.

The other 4 or so subjects are to make up your points, & obviously an E or F doesn't look nice on any slip, but if you've passed the main 3, have the points, but failed say French, & you want to study architecture, you would be eligible for a place. That is NOT a failed LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To answer the OP it depends on the course and college's requirements but all courses will either have an English, Irish, Math requirement or a combination of the 3. Example: You could have 500 points earned for a 100 point requirement course but if you flunked out of the Maths requirement you will not get in. Simple as.

Always prioritise your preferred course's requirements - if you want it bad enough, and they want Irish out of you, then hopefully there should be Gaeleige bleeding out of your ears :)

*Irish exemptions of course apply to non-Irish folk... like me. Unfair? Probably. But thats for another thread and you're welcome to start it up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Overheal wrote: »
    To answer the OP it depends on the course and college's requirements but all courses will either have an English, Irish, Math requirement or a combination of the 3. Example: You could have 500 points earned for a 100 point requirement course but if you flunked out of the Maths requirement you will not get in. Simple as.

Always prioritise your preferred course's requirements - if you want it bad enough, and they want Irish out of you, then hopefully there should be Gaeleige bleeding out of your ears :)

*Irish exemptions of course apply to non-Irish folk... like me. Unfair? Probably. But thats for another thread and you're welcome to start it up ;)

Thanks :D I only realised that today about the requirements when I was talking to my friend about it. I think I need a OC3. Hm... Hope I can get that... I failed Maths in my mocks. Although, not badly. I got 37%- So close!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some university courses require English, Irish, Maths so you need to pass all three. Some require English, Maths and a language (Irish or other).

IT courses require English or Irish and maths. There are a few courses that don't require maths but there aren't too many of them.

So there isn't really such a thing as failing unless you need the subject for whatever you want to do. Unless you fail everything of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As does UL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The standard (outside university entrance requirements) for passing the Leaving Certificate is having attained at least 5 D grades in Ordinary Level.

That is what is meant when someone looks for 'LC level' education.
    Generally employers will want English and Maths to be among the five.

The Department consider 5 passes at Ordinary Level to be the minimum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement