Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress Codes?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

on a night out i was out for a match and i dressed in a rugby top and casual runners and a pair of my navy canties and was refused from 3 pubs in the City as they said they had a dress code seemingly no runners or tracksuit pants which i find ridiculous when you consider the price of even a pair of Canterbury Pants is as much as a night out for some, now i will say these pubs had and are known to have a VERY relaxed attitude all round and brilliant pubs but i was refused despite me not being drunk or anything just out to have a few with friends, needless to say this did ruin my night but i got over it.

Just wondering has the friendly pub secne in galway gone a bit ott and top heavy on rules such as dress code in places that are supposedly relaxed and well known for their friendly attitude in Galway?

And for the record ive seen worse go in and be kicked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Did you not flasht he receipt to the bouncer to further your case?

Why should you get in just because you forked out a ridiculous price for a pair of bottoms? If that's the case then let Anto in with his Lacoste cotton bottoms. They cost roughly the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

depends on the pub i'd say. we all know which pubs are too far up their arses, i wont name any for the sake of slander and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Hi all,

on a night out i was out for a match and i dressed in a rugby top and casual runners and a pair of my navy canties and was refused from 3 pubs in the City as they said they had a dress code seemingly no runners or tracksuit pants which i find ridiculous when you consider the price of even a pair of Canterbury Pants is as much as a night out for some, now i will say these pubs had and are known to have a VERY relaxed attitude all round and brilliant pubs but i was refused despite me not being drunk or anything just out to have a few with friends, needless to say this did ruin my night but i got over it.

Just wondering has the friendly pub secne in galway gone a bit ott and top heavy on rules such as dress code in places that are supposedly relaxed and well known for their friendly attitude in Galway?

And for the record ive seen worse go in and be kicked out.

I feel like bouncers often consider athletic wear = trouble, doubly so if there's a pack of ya dressed the same (ie they thought ya might start **** if the match didn't go yer way). The only times I've ever had bouncers question me on entry was when I'm wearing a hoodie (esp. if the hood is up). Should note that I don't go to nightclubs at all, so don't know about their dress codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I'm in my late 20s and it's been a while now since I've had any issues myself with admission to various establishments around Galway (or beyond). I think if I did though and I felt I was being treated unfairly I would probably stand my ground. I know that management have the right to refuse admission, but I would probably take my business elsewhere and make a recorded phone call to speak with management the following day. In understand that pubs / clubs get a lot of crap and bouncers often have enough on their plate, but if the offense is something minor in relation to an undefined dress code or "refused without justification", then I would take action. It can be embarrasing being singled out amongst a queue of strangers and group of mates, and if the reason isn't good enough then I don't think any of us should allow it happen. I don't respect bouncers on power trips and I know too many of them exist, as does others who are very good at their job. There is nothing elite or even different about any pubs/clubs in Galway. I've lived here all my life. Most places that you find 20 somethings on a given weekend night out will pretty much have the same thing to offer its punters. So I think it's well funny that some bouncers are instructed to behave like there is something magical behind the "velvet rope". I think if they as businesses wanted to create a better image of themselves, then focusing on their customers as opposed to trying to make their customers feel privileged to do business with them is in order. You cant create that sort of stature in any other business, you have to earn it.

That's my rant ;)

My younger brother, who had met up with mates in town recently and had no drink on him was refused entry to a well known club because he had "white shoe laces". He was wearing a jeans, jacket and shirt. He's an intelligent, upstanding young man and was quite annoyed, but he reserved his dignity and just said "No problem" and left (with his mates right behind him ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

I was refused entry to a pub in town a few years ago, one which isnt known for the quality of its patrons.

Appartent the shoes I were wearing where runners, when clearly they weren't.

Refused entry...

Didn't particularly like the place in the first instance but my friends were already inside.

I popped around the corner to a mate and changed into a different pair I had in a rucksack.

Went back to pub 5 mins later.

"Are you trying to be funny" is the answer I got.

Refused entry.

In hindsight, it was only 8pm-ish, so I should have gotten a phone book and rang the pub and asked for the duty manager and politely threatened them for the behaviour.

No alcohol was consumed in the course of making this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Maybe you were refused because you had a rucksack.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gufcfan wrote: »
    In hindsight, it was only 8pm-ish, so I should have gotten a phone book and rang the pub and asked for the duty manager and politely threatened them for the behaviour..

Threatened them with what?

If they're discriminating because of your age (with one obvious exception :D), gender, ethnicity, disability, religious beliefs, marital status, ... one or two others? ... or membership of the Traveller community, then they're out of line.

But if they're discriminating 'cos they don't like the team you support, your attitude, dress or rucksack, that's perfectly legal. And now that we all have mobiles, it's no problem to text your mates and get them to meet you somewhere else. If they like, they can even tell the bouncer why they're leaving (politely, of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there are some places which have a dress code that's only enforced when the proprietor is on the premises. you might have just been unlucky. the same can also happen when there is a change of management. it also just depends on the night that's in it (i.e. busy night, only let the ones in who look like they'll spend).

having said that most places with the dress codes have had them for years. it's nothing new.

and more than likely you probably just looked like a sham. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its simple - if you want to get in to a pub, don't dress like a scobie.

'cptr

I got refused entry to the Hole in the Wall on New Years Eve. I was wearing a pair of white runners (nice ones, not knacker ones), and they refused point blank. Luckily enough I live close by and went and got some shoes. I've no comfortable dress-shoes and can't afford to buy a pair, but just found it surprising though, but as the bouncer had told me, it was just for that night.

Not mad, it's perfectly understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its simple - if you want to get in to a pub, don't dress like a scobie.

'cptr

Haha, I mean honestly, that's the only good advice here isn't it?

Advertisement