Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Off road areas

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere around dublin you can drive without a license? I have my theory test on friday, :eek: but would like to drive my friend's car to practice before tackling the roads here. As I am from the UK, I have to get used to cruddy taxis/kmph/and other things!

I know you used to be able to go on the beach on bull island, but they have put big boulders there now to stop you. my friend has got full insurance, but just need to practice before getting my license and going on the roads proper.

TIA

DJ Spider

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dont think so mate...

Would you not get the license first and then try this with your own insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Is there anywhere around dublin you can drive without a license? I have my theory test on friday, :eek: but would like to drive my friend's car to practice before tackling the roads here. As I am from the UK, I have to get used to cruddy taxis/kmph/and other things!

I know you used to be able to go on the beach on bull island, but they have put big boulders there now to stop you. my friend has got full insurance, but just need to practice before getting my license and going on the roads proper.

TIA

DJ Spider

Do your theory test and then you can practice in some quiet place. What is two days extra going to give you. Also how would Bull Island get you ready for the "cruddy taxis and kph and all that??? :confused:

I presume you havent driven before in the UK as if you had you could just transfer your licence! Also since you havent drove before (presumption) you dont have to get used to different way of driving as your learning for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Car park of your local Tesco / Dunnes / etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I haven't passed my test in the UK so don't have a licence. I can drive, I just need some practice pulling off as I tend to bring the clutch up too slowly. If I do this when on the road then I will have people honking behind me at lights etc!

Apart from that I am a fairly good driver. I took my test twice in the UK. Once I failed on 3 point turn the other time it was in Swindon where there are millions of mini roundabouts and dual carriageways!

Thanks for the advice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

just need some practice pulling off as I tend to bring the clutch up too slowly
    You could pratise that in a driveway.

DJ Spider wrote:
    in Swindon where there are millions of mini roundabouts and dual carriageways!
    Swindon! :eek: - I get weak even thinking about that roundabout!! :eek:

SwindonRoundabout-1.jpg

• Advertisement

^ not mine as it slopes! and yes that thing is a nightmare. My dad was raised in swindon and even he said he avoids it like the plague! They actually got me to come down the road from the bottom of that pic then turn right, I mean left, I mean right, I mean left.....OW my head hurts! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My dad was raised in swindon and even he said he avoids it like the plague!
    They claim that that roundabout relieved massive congestion at that junction. I think it was just a clever piece of pseudo-engineering. The congestion was relieved as most people (like your dad) simply avoided the area! :D

Each of the roundabouts there have names, when the builders were making that one, they nicknamed it the magic roundabout, and that it the official name for it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There isn't anywhere you go as you need a license to operate the vehicle. I don't think it matters where you do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I dont think you need a license to drive on private property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I dont think you need a license to drive on private property.

But you need the owners consent!

Advertisement