Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is 130k miles an awful lot for a car

Options
  • 27-02-2008 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

My neighbour used to have an old renault in the 80's. Really looked after it and changed the oil every 3000 miles. He got rid of it when it was still going stong at close to 300,000 miles. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I personally dont think so but it depends on the type of car whether it is a diesel or petrol car, whether it has a large engine or small engine.

If you look after your car your car will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

My neighbour used to have an old renault in the 80's. Really looked after it and changed the oil every 3000 miles. He got rid of it when it was still going stong at close to 300,000 miles. :eek:

oh but I thought renaults are really really crap and only fit for a junkyard?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

130k could be a little or a lot. 130k on your neibhbours car, as i turns out, wouldnt have ben a lot (assuming you had kept up his car record) where s 130k on a car that was driven hard and neglected could well mean the car is end of life.

One of the joys of buying new for me is that you know no one else has been driving your car and you know it hasnt been thrashed.

Some people love their cars and look after them really well, these are the people to buy 2nd hand form if you know one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I really want to upgrade now but most of the cars I would be looking at would be high mileage. It's a pity there is no way to really know how a car has been looked after.

I want to pick up an older BMW but don't know anyone selling them. It looks like I would have to take a shot in the dark with my hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're getting a high mileage car then you'd be better off in a marque that has a rep for reliability - old Toyotas, Volvos and such. They are "tractors" but will start and run a long time.

Also if you look at owner history, tow bar, worn engine components they'll give you a hint as how the car have been driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was around the west coast on sunday, and i saw this 95 Toyota Landcruiser, one of these off road jobs. Raised, big wheels, snorkel etc etc and as i was just going i said i'd have a look at the mileage... 313,000!

Also a fella traded in a 02 E220 d new model Mercedes with 400,000kilometers on it, and it was, no word of a lie, immaculate, sold within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I want to pick up an older BMW but don't know anyone selling them. It looks like I would have to take a shot in the dark with my hard earned cash.
    Service history, service history, service history.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anan1 wrote: »
    Service history, service history, service history.;)

+1

Lately a friend of mine bought a Skoda Octavia 2001 with 120k on it. It came with a bible of service history from the main dealer. No worries:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Have an 03 TDI which I purchased with 94k on the clock. Had been recently serviced but other than that not much history ;) - uk import by a garage and 1 owner since. I know some ppl have a fit over full service history but I did the various check and it drove well plus was a good price.

I sometimes think that looking for a full service history is over the top and is scaring people into getting dealer servicing rather than sorting it themselves or with an Indy. If in doubt get a mechanic or the AA to do a check before buying but dont be put off just because of a lack of service history.

voxpop wrote: »
    Have an 03 TDI which I purchased with 94k on the clock. Had been recently serviced but other than that not much history ;) - uk import by a garage and 1 owner since. I know some ppl have a fit over full service history but I did the various check and it drove well plus was a good price.

I sometimes think that looking for a full service history is over the top and is scaring people into getting dealer servicing rather than sorting it themselves or with an Indy. If in doubt get a mechanic or the AA to do a check before buying but dont be put off just because of a lack of service history.

If you get proper service history with it though does that mean you can be sure it's not clocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If you get proper service history with it though does that mean you can be sure it's not clocked?

if you check the mileage properly and if it has any nct check the mileage checks on that too

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

130k miles is no problem to most engines these days as long as they have been maintained properly. However it is the other components that you need to watch out for. Components like gearbox, clutch, brakes, suspension are all less durable than the engine itself.

I recently ran a petrol car for 160k miles from new and had it serviced on time everytime, only other things I had to spend money on were brake pads, shock absorbers and suspension bushings (thanks to Irish roads). My father has the car now and it's still flying it.

Probably a silly question here and not really to the point as I would need to take much more into consideration than the engine mileage but if you rebuild an engine and you effectively resetting the mileage or starting form scratch again?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

130k miles is nothing on a well built, well maintained car. I was in a late 90s merc last week with nearly a million kilometers on it and it felt like a nearly new one
    I want to pick up an older BMW but don't know anyone selling them

See my sig ;)

Utterly reliable - full service history since new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Buy a car with a reputation for reliability, look after it well(service on time, don't use cheap non standard parts etc, and just treat it nicely overall) and it will do 200k miles in it's sleep. 130k is nothing on a well maintained car, especially a car that spent a lot of time on a Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

130k is nothing particularly on a large diesel.

My car has 160,000 miles on it and a full service history and all receipts etc. from new. It barely run in yet. :D

(I was in a Scania truck recently with 2,500,000 miles!)

unkel wrote: »
    130k miles is nothing on a well built, well maintained car. I was in a late 90s merc last week with nearly a million kilometers on it and it felt like a nearly new one

See my sig ;)

Utterly reliable - full service history since new

I was looking at that already. It's a feckin unreal car but I would not be spending over 5K. I would be looking for a E34 5 series 2.5i.

I would like to get a 7 series in the future some time but I'm not sure I would like automatic so much. Why do bigger engined cars all have auto gearboxes?

130k is nothing particularly on a large diesel.

My car has 160,000 miles on it and a full service history and all receipts etc. from new. It barely run in yet. :D

AFAIK they do change the engines in trucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never really heard of truck engines being changes! :confused:

I am reminded of another vehcicle that I know. It is 5 years old and has 450,000 kms on it. Nothing spectacular about that you may think and I'd agree but then - 99.9% of the time it doesn't travel more that 2 miles from it's base!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

but I'm not sure I would like automatic so much

Are you in your late 20s / early 30s? I was exactly like that back then! Skeptical and liking manuals, but in Dublin area traffic, modern autos are great. I've loved them ever since and even my classic 22 year old Porsche I bought last month has an automatic gearbox :)
    I would be looking for a E34 5 series 2.5i.

My previous car was an E34 5-series (530i 3.0 V8 petrol and yes my first automatic :) )
    I would not be spending over 5K

There's spending and spending. Some people buy a car for 7k and only suffer running costs and consumables for many years. Others spend 3k and spend 3k every year to keep the thing going. My point is that I firmly believe my car is in the former category

Don't take my word for it though. Ask the experts online!

My late grandfather was an international truck driver. I'm not too sure about the details, but he was invited over to Sweden at some point (I believe in the 50s or maybe early 60s) by Volvo to celebrate him passing the 5 million kilometer mark on the truck. From what I remember, it wasn't a world record or something, just a treat for any driver that made that mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

see my sig - manual, history 112k. Bought it's replacement today - 139k miles, history.........and automatic.

Auto's are just, just, so..............civilised !! :D

Isn't that right Junkyard ?;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hello again,
    I was in taxi in Galway about 3 weeks ago or so. He drives a E220 TD for big o taxis I think (that place on dominic street). It was a 94 and had 415,000 miles on the clock. He changes the oil every 6000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think a modern engine will last almost indefinately if it is cared for properly.

Have mondeo at home with 200k on the clock. Goes just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I have seen taxis with up to 400,000 miles. I would be surprised to see over half a mil...

Advertisement