Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling guilty..

Options
  • 27-02-2008 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

:eek:Woo i dropped to pass irish today, so then i had to go and sit the pass paper as well as the honours and like omg there is no comparison between them. Its so much shorter and theres no novel, no stair na gaeilge....

I feel bad now though... Its like i put in alot of work for nothing.... Not enough for honours tho....

well that kinda a pointless thread but sure ah well.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I'm not trying to change your mind, I just want to make sure you've thought 100% about what you're doing, & the possible consequences of doing so.

Are you 1000000000% confident you never want to be a primary school teacher. Absolutely certain, as in you'd rather clean sewers than teach.
    As you've said, you've most of the work done now, prob enough to scrape a C3, or atleast with a little bit more work.
    Maybe you've thought teaching would be nice, but I'm not smart enough, only teachers children can become teachers etc.....

The only reason I say this at all is:-
    When I started secondary, I was in Honours Irish, but I dropped down (actually asked to drop down) at the start of 2nd year, so I wasn't really able for it, so no real regrets there, the decision was out of my hands.
    I did think briefly about teaching a few times, but sure I wasn't doing honours Irish, hated the subject & certainly wasn't going to put in any effort to do it.

Plus, I wasn't a super brain & sure you had to be to be a teacher!!!!
    I went & did my degree in IT & enjoyed it, but all the time still thinking about teaching, but still resigned to my thoughts above.

Roll on 11 years, after working many years in my industry. The interest in & love for my job is gone & I want out. Teaching is still niggling away at the back of my mind. In fact it's a lot more than a niggle now. I look around me & lots of people who academically were a lot weaker than me are teachers, & I'm SO sorry I didn't just refuse to move down to ordinary, slogged my guts out & got my honour. It'd make life a lot easier now.
    Now, 11 years after sitting my leaving, I'm repeating Honours Irish on my own, with a 1.5hr class most Saturdays. It's V tough, but doable & I fully expect to get my honour.

I know its easier for me as I've only 1 subject to concentrate on, but in a way it's easier for you, as it's fresh in your mind, the fact your teacher hasn't asked you to move down must mean they think you're well able to get your honour, & you've all the support of your school & Irish teacher for anything you may be getting stuck on.

It really is up to you & if you KNOW you'll never need it then fine, but if you're in any way unsure, please don't shoot yourself in the foot like I did, when you're SO close to getting it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I personally regret dropping down to ordinary irish back in 3rd year cause i know i'm well able for it just I was too lazy to study
    I dropped down to ordinary maths in 5th year with NO hesitation cause i knew I wouldn't be able for it at all
    Right now I'm currently wondering should I drop down to ordinary french because I don't need it for anything

But yeah once you know what you're doing when you drop down and have thought about it full AND discussed it with your guidance teacher then drop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    I'm not trying to change your mind, I just want to make sure you've thought 100% about what you're doing, & the possible consequences of doing so.

Are you 1000000000% confident you never want to be a primary school teacher. Absolutely certain, as in you'd rather clean sewers than teach.
    As you've said, you've most of the work done now, prob enough to scrape a C3, or atleast with a little bit more work.
    Maybe you've thought teaching would be nice, but I'm not smart enough, only teachers children can become teachers etc.....

The only reason I say this at all is:-
    When I started secondary, I was in Honours Irish, but I dropped down (actually asked to drop down) at the start of 2nd year, so I wasn't really able for it, so no real regrets there, the decision was out of my hands.
    I did think briefly about teaching a few times, but sure I wasn't doing honours Irish, hated the subject & certainly wasn't going to put in any effort to do it.

Plus, I wasn't a super brain & sure you had to be to be a teacher!!!!
    I went & did my degree in IT & enjoyed it, but all the time still thinking about teaching, but still resigned to my thoughts above.

Roll on 11 years, after working many years in my industry. The interest in & love for my job is gone & I want out. Teaching is still niggling away at the back of my mind. In fact it's a lot more than a niggle now. I look around me & lots of people who academically were a lot weaker than me are teachers, & I'm SO sorry I didn't just refuse to move down to ordinary, slogged my guts out & got my honour. It'd make life a lot easier now.
    Now, 11 years after sitting my leaving, I'm repeating Honours Irish on my own, with a 1.5hr class most Saturdays. It's V tough, but doable & I fully expect to get my honour.

I know its easier for me as I've only 1 subject to concentrate on, but in a way it's easier for you, as it's fresh in your mind, the fact your teacher hasn't asked you to move down must mean they think you're well able to get your honour, & you've all the support of your school & Irish teacher for anything you may be getting stuck on.

It really is up to you & if you KNOW you'll never need it then fine, but if you're in any way unsure, please don't shoot yourself in the foot like I did, when you're SO close to getting it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

So you never once considered taking the Irish examination again? They hold one like... annually :eek: :)

wether 19, 26 or 63 I've never heard of an age limit on the leaving cert nor have I heard of a minimum number of exams to sit - it wont get you into college all over again but it can give you that honors mark in Irish.

This never occured to you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Did you not read the part in her post where she said she's repeating honours Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Ah you're better off doing Pass anyway. The comparison is huge alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you not read the part in her post where she said she's repeating honours Irish?

whoops >_> thats what I get for parsing text.

bravo to BoozyBabe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well I've been doing pass irish since 2nd year, ya I know what your thinking probably not the greatest student but thats not really true

Its just i've always had a distaste for irish and ya in all fairness I wasnt great at it and never put in the effort.

Luckily for the fact that I'm doing 7 subjects and only need 6 in the leaving (with irish and maths being the only ordinary level subjects but Im really good at pass maths...), so i'll never need it for points, left my irish books in my locker for the pre's and still got 50%...

I dont find it hard but couldnt be bothered, so basically what im trying to say in all that waffle is that pass irish with a small bit of work you could easily get a A1, but if your like me and don't need it for points its a great class to sleep in...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Istrancis

BetsyMagoo, I'd recommend keeping on the honours Irish. There's no point in dropping it just because you feel you don't need it. Certainly you should do so if you were failing it, a good pass is better than a failed honour, but try to stick with the higher level Irish.

BoozyBabe makes a very valid point about needing it in the future. I know someone almost finished a science degree and she thinks she might have tried primary teaching if she had taken Honours Irish. Added to that the teaching course is only 1 year as a postgrad. If nothing else teaching is certainly an option, one that you close off by dropping Irish.

If you feel you could do better, why not get a grind? This would certainly help you to move your grade up, even just a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You do realise what's wrong with that comment? You dislike Irish because you're told to do it, yet if you weren't told to do it then you'd do it voluntarily anyway?

If it was optional it would still be taught the same way. Stop cutting off your nose to spite your face and do honours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dropped down to pass straight after the junior, got a c in honours but with an unproportional amount of study compared to other subjects.

I'm doing 6 other honours subjects and really couldn't be bothered distracting myself from them to kill myself learning a subject I'm not good at and will have very little baring on my future life...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I had a notion before Crimbo that I would drop down to pass, so I reduced my already very small effort. I somehow managed to pass the Crimbo test, without any work, and then decided to start working. I got 70 in my last test. Just a little anecdote I thought I would say just to show it can be done.

By the by, when I say I was considering dropping done, I really mean it, I said it to my Mam and all, and because I'm doing Applied Maths outside of school I could afford to drop down. But now I'm really happy I didn't frop down, because I was convinced I would fail the LC if I stayed at it, but now I think I could manage getting a high B. Happy days!

Advertisement