Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All 08 cars may have road tax done on emissions.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Riskymove wrote: »

but if you import an 08 (presumably july 08!) or later car you are on new Motor tax system.

That's true. Everyone bear in mind though that we're talking about a car registered in the UK (for example) in 2008 and then imported here - that will get an '08 plate.
    If it was first registered in the UK in 2007 and is brought in here after July it'll still get an '07 Irish plate and will be subject to this confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

FXXking Irish Politicians in bed with the SIMI again.:mad:

Thats It, i'm off to Poland to buy my next car!

or sit tight, drive away in the car you have until you can afford to buy a 08 model SecondHand

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

see above, we dont know for sure yet...

some consolation....if it is true then you could import an 08 next year instead to be on the new system!!

No good to me model changed in 2007 Skoda Fabia VRS liked the idea of an economical fun car that did'nt have a huge impact on the environment.
    Ah well just have to keep going with my gas guzzling petrol car thanks Simi John.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Flankerb wrote: »
    No good to me model changed in 2007 Skoda Fabia VRS liked the idea of an economical fun car that did'nt have a huge impact on the environment.
    Ah well just have to keep going with my gas guzzling petrol car thanks Simi John.:(

why is it no good for you??

just wait til next year and then do it

why is it no good for you??

just wait til next year and then do it

that model ended in 2007. Skoda wont be doing a Fabia VRS in diesel, petrol only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

It's being discussed on the Last Word now with a dude from SIMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There will be a vRS Fabia in both diesel and petrol guises in time. The old shape Fabias are nice cars to drive, pity there is no feedback through the steering wheel(though it is very accurate and the pedals are super light)though. And the 1.2 is slower than walking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you bring in a '06 car from the UK it'll be taxed on the CC based road tax EVEN IF IT'S IMPORTED AFTER JULY

That's the complete opposite of what was proposed before. I'd like to see this confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

holy **** - wtf is going on? :mad: :mad:

I bought a 93 968 in the UK yesterday, and hoped to get it in the next 10 days.

Being that old, there is no C02 cert.

So, where the F do I stand, now? :confused::confused:

Old VRT or New VRT. ??
    Old Tax or New Tax. ??

This is un****ingbelievable.......:mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

demac wrote: »
    It's being discussed on the Last Word now with a dude from SIMI
    A 3 minute piece that didn't mention what will happen to any cars (imports or otherwise) pre-08.

A shame, because I mailed them this afternoon, explaining on who stands to lose out.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    There will be a vRS Fabia in both diesel and petrol guises in time. The old shape Fabias are nice cars to drive, pity there is no feedback through the steering wheel(though it is very accurate and the pedals are super light)though. And the 1.2 is slower than walking too.

I think we will be waiting a quite a while for the Fabia VRS Mk2 2009/10 anyway I would prefer the old shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I think someof it is a good idea especially if you already own a lower emission vehicle - I have an 06 BMW 530d, so under the original proposal a similar car imported from the UK after July would only pay 600 euro road tax, while I would pay twice that. So my cars second hand value would fall considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

In fairness this is what's not clear at present. we have no definite position!!

Quite right. With the history of this goverments decisions it's quite possible they could make any decision that suits them. Just like they have done with the provisional licence nonsense.

It seems to me also that the Greens are pushing the FF into all this situation as their eye is totally off the ball with the whole BertieGate saga.
    Under the announcment in December ALL imports, regardless of age, after July were to be on the new VRT and new Motor Tax rates based on emmissions

Ahh, December while Bertie was running around trying to pay off a 14 year loan/mortgage/gift that he lent to the moth .. the Greens were plotting the end of all cars with more Co2 emissions than Miss Larkins hairdryer.

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Fair enough if he's letting Pre July 08 buyers get it at a lower rate should the rate be lower in Julys prices but I think it's completely wrong to not bring in as originally promised CO2 based taxation for Pre 08 imports from July onwards, this makes a complete mess of any type of Green principles and stinks even more the current cartel of protectionism between SIMI and the Irish government.

Most likely he will use the excuse that pre 08 cars will have a problem in getting CO2 certs, this is despite the fact that such details have been issued on all cars officially imported in the the EU since the start of the decade.

sonners wrote: »
    Lads, fair play to ye for explaining all this as simply as possible. Finally starting to get my head around it. Just one question though:

I have a '99 car which is over 225g/km (hence why I'm watching this topic closely!), I understand that as I have the car over a year I will continue to tax it under the old system ~€500 pa. When I sell my car next year will the new owner be taxing it under the old system ~€500 or the new system €2000??? I ask because this will obviously affect the ease of resale considerably.

Any ideas?

The truth is nobody knows. I have a friend in your position (Alfa 166 2.0 230g/kg) and he was bricking it after he heard a radio interview the other night with a Green TD.

He only caught the end of it but I would say you'll be taxed at the old system for two or three years and then it'll be road tax under Co2 emissions for all cars new and old.

I'd say also (just my opinion) that they will only go my manufacturers official Co2 figure for a set number of years when they will then go by your Co2 emissions produced when you do you NCT test.

I like this idea as if you use BioDiesel in your TDi come July you will still paying the same road tax as someone using diesel yet you'll be producing less Co2. It'd be nice if they had a system where you could send in your BioDiesel receipts at the end of the year and get a some of your road tax back :)

Nico

stevec wrote: »
    The NCT measures the %CO2 at idle and high idle - this is not an indicator of g/km.

I thought that it did. Doh! :)

Nico

Yep looks like your thread came a day early.
    The irony of it all.....

Let us know if your mate has any more precictions - I'll be off to paddy powers!

Well he just caught the tail end of an interview on the radio and if I'm correct I think that is exactly how they leaked the whole provisional licence thing on us.

They are a clever lot. You never hear them announce anything like this on Prime Time -- it's always some interview with the Leitrim Observer or 105.2 FM and then word of mouth spreads and suddenly we have Willie O' shotgun Dea saying when quized about some new rule or other "Sure the dogs on street know that for God's sake - are ya kidding me".

I'll give it the Greens they sure picked up FF's dirty tricks very quick. When they are interviewed know it makes me sick as there is none of the niceness that they had pre-election, now they are so bloody cocky.

Hey, I'm all for rewarding people driving greener cars and even make gas guzzlers (petrol just went up to $107 a barrel today) but why make it such a bloody mess. Can we not do anything right in this country.

I was gonna hang onto my Audi as it's a 1.6 Auto but now I've no idea what to do as it's 194g/kg which will be 1000 euro if they decide to stick the Co2 based road tax rates on used cars reg'd pre July 2008.

Imagine selling it. The first question you'd get would be 'How much is the road tax?' -- you'd never sell it.

How stupid are these guys though? You know i'd say that it was consumers complaing over the past few months that have alerted the Gov to these glaring loopholes.

Like if you bought a used 2004 Audi A3 1.9TDi here in July the road tax would be 580 Euro but pop over the border and buy it and the tax would only be 100 euro. Imagine creating a system where road tax is cheaper if you import the same car.

Not to mention the fact that car would be cheaper in the first place as it would only be 14% Vrt as it's 119g/kg.

Nico

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I think you are still wrong, at least based on the latest news:
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0227/1203619486051.html

I hope so - I really do as it'll be be a nightmare if most 2.0 Petrol cars have to pay 2000 Euro road tax anytime in the next few years let alone 1.6's paying a grand.

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'm in the same position as you Nico, I have a 00 Alfa 156 and the emmisions are over 190g/km. I pay under 500E a year now, if they decide to backdate the co2 thing anytime in the future it'll cost me a grand to tax!:( I think I may have to "avoid" roadtax if thats the case! Think I'm moving to the UK next year anyway so it'll only be 300 pounds to tax a year when re-registered! The greens can't backdate this to earlier cars, you are punishing people for buying decisions made under the old tax system. This was their rationale for not backdating in the first place. If my road tax doubles there'll be war!:D

astraboy wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as you Nico, I have a 00 Alfa 156 and the emmisions are over 190g/km. I pay under 500E a year now, if they decide to backdate the co2 thing anytime in the future it'll cost me a grand to tax!:( I think I may have to "avoid" roadtax if thats the case! Think I'm moving to the UK next year anyway so it'll only be 300 pounds to tax a year when re-registered! The greens can't backdate this to earlier cars, you are punishing people for buying decisions made under the old tax system. This was their rationale for not backdating in the first place. If my road tax doubles there'll be war!:D

Either that or get one of those little MGF cars and i'd say you'd outrun any cop car -- nip nip :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    No. READ! You'll get CC Tax and current VRT rate in both cases.

Christ! Just asking a question! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Minister Gormley can be emailed at this address: minister@environ.ie

I would urge anyone with an opinion on this to make it known now before it becomes law.

The government seem to be easily influenced!

Personally speaking I feel low emissions cars imported post July 08 should be taxed and vrt'd under new system regardless of their age or else it makes a mockery of the policy's original rationale. This was the way it was supposed to work.

Conversely any polluting cars were to be left as is until they were eventually phased out and post July 08 models punished for being high CO2 emitters.

seemed the fairest - then enter SIMI! sinister!

astraboy wrote: »

Lads, read the thread.

The basic premise is that if you bought an '08 car that will be cheaper to tax after July, you get to avail of the advantage at your next taxing date.
    If you bought an '08 car that should be in the higher bracket after July, you'll be left alone.
    If you bought a car in '07 or previously, you'll be under the old system.

The changes are in recognition of the fact that:
    1) If you bought a car in '07 or earlier, you were happy with the price you paid and with the annual road tax bill, so you get to stay in that system
    2) If you bought a gas-guzzler since the budget, hoping that you'd get it on the road before 1st July to keep it in the cc based taxation system, you get to stay there - you don't get penalised for trying to get it on the road before the hammer falls
    3) If you bought a green car since the budget (or if you ordered pre-budget but received the car post-budget) that should qualify for lower road tax rates, you can avail of these rates next time you tax the car. You don't get penalised for making a green choice pre-July

In my book that's called win-win-win. I don't think you understand the proposals fully....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I understand them, my fear is that in 2/3 years the Government decide to backdate the CO2 taxation to say 01 or 00 cars, effecting people that bought their cars under the previous CC taxation system, unfair and all as it is. I think the new proposals are ok, but one point. How do they know if a second hand import is over 225G/km of CO2? Or will this only effect cars back to 01 when emission certs were first produced?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In my book that's called win-win-win. I don't think you understand the proposals fully....

I think is more a case of don't believe rather than don't understand given the current government's attitude towards the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Lads, read the thread.

The basic premise is that if you bought an '08 car that will be cheaper to tax after July, you get to avail of the advantage at your next taxing date.
    If you bought an '08 car that should be in the higher bracket after July, you'll be left alone.
    If you bought a car in '07 or previously, you'll be under the old system.

The changes are in recognition of the fact that:
    1) If you bought a car in '07 or earlier, you were happy with the price you paid and with the annual road tax bill, so you get to stay in that system
    2) If you bought a gas-guzzler since the budget, hoping that you'd get it on the road before 1st July to keep it in the cc based taxation system, you get to stay there - you don't get penalised for trying to get it on the road before the hammer falls
    3) If you bought a green car since the budget (or if you ordered pre-budget but received the car post-budget) that should qualify for lower road tax rates, you can avail of these rates next time you tax the car. You don't get penalised for making a green choice pre-July

I think the SIMI/cars dealers are still in trouble because there still going to be left with a garage full of pre-08 cars from now on, as all people will want to buy is 08 onward cars in the future. And now because of the confusion and no insentive to buy before july anymore, people will wait 1 or 2 years before trading-in, thats what i will be doing.

I think is more a case of don't believe rather than don't understand given the current government's attitude towards the motorist.

Fair 'nuff :)

Advertisement