Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For those of you with an E46 M3

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I'm curious to know what sort of 'real world' fuel consumption you get from the car. I know it's a beast, and one of my favourite cars on the road, though if I was to consider one I'd like to know just how many times (roughly) I'll be filling the tank on a round trip from Dublin to Cork!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

On a Dublin to Cork trip you should get about 26Mpg, round the city you should (depending on driving style of course) get about 19-21 Mpg.

I drove up to Derry a lot last year can't remember the exact milage about 280 miles round trip plus a bit of driving around up there, I had to refill the tank as soon as I got home, so about 300 or so miles per tank

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I had to drive to Limerick last week and managed about 30MPG. Only used around 3/4 of a tank.

If you're worried about fuel consumption then the M3 ain't for you mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

How many liters does the tank hold or how much would it cost to fill the tank on them? Would love one as my next car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

They take about 70 quid to fill - same as any E46 tank.

You'll get roughly 400kms out of a tank if you are lucky around Dublin. 500+kms on a cross country drive.

I know mine is not an M3 but the comsumption figures would be very similar, there's only 30 odd brake in the difference, add two turbos to that, an auto box and you're neck and neck on consumption I'd hazard a guess to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MarkN wrote: »
    They take about 70 quid to fill - same as any E46 tank.

You'll get roughly 400kms out of a tank if you are lucky around Dublin. 500+kms on a cross country drive.

I know mine is not an M3 but the comsumption figures would be very similar, there's only 30 odd brake in the difference, add two turbos to that, an auto box and you're neck and neck on consumption I'd hazard a guess to say.

41bhp less and about 5 years newer an engine... that'd make a difference, I reckon yours might be surprisingly more economical than an E46 M3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

DaveD wrote: »
    I had to drive to Limerick last week and managed about 30MPG. Only used around 3/4 of a tank.

If you're worried about fuel consumption then the M3 ain't for you mate.

Fuel consumption may only be one factor that the Op is looking at. He might be able to justify all the other expenses involved in running an M3 as long as eg he gets 25mpg (as opposed to say 15mpg)

I presume 3/4 tank was for the roundtrip to Limerick?

As a slight aside - Are there any e60 M5 owners on Boards?

Biro wrote: »
    41bhp less and about 5 years newer an engine... that'd make a difference, I reckon yours might be surprisingly more economical than an E46 M3.

From figures I've seen the M is 343 bhp and the 335 is 306 bhp. That's 37. Not sure who is right or wrong.

I spent a bit of time with an M3 in a previous life (!) back in 2006 and the figures seemed quite similar - around town, high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks for the responses. I'm ok with the other expenses (servicing, tyres, etc) but would hate to think that I'd be stopping to fill the tank multiple times on a round trip to Cork or somewhere similar! From what has been posted here it looks good good enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

From figures I've seen the M is 343 bhp and the 335 is 306 bhp. That's 37. Not sure who is right or wrong.

I spent a bit of time with an M3 in a previous life (!) back in 2006 and the figures seemed quite similar - around town, high teens.

You are right with those figures Mark.

Were you in Castleknock village on Sunday, If so sweet 335i!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I read 302 for the 335i, but you're probably right.
    I would have thought your one would be more economical.

• Advertisement

Victor_M wrote: »
    You are right with those figures Mark.

Were you in Castleknock village on Sunday, If so sweet 335i!

Trying to remember, I live nearby so it well could've been.

Advertisement