Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus broadband and phone setup

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone who has the chorus phone and broadband setup tell me how the phone is connected please?

A friend has disconnected her netgear modem and black box. She hasconnected the black box which I assumed was for the phone and the phone is not working. She says that the phone box and modem are required for the phone to work. :confused:

Can anyone confrimif this is the case or whether the phone should work without the netgear modem please.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

kleefarr wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone who has the chorus phone and broadband setup tell me how the phone is connected please?

A friend has disconnected her netgear modem and black box. She hasconnected the black box which I assumed was for the phone and the phone is not working. She says that the phone box and modem are required for the phone to work. :confused:

Can anyone confrimif this is the case or whether the phone should work without the netgear modem please.

Kevin

UPC now provide a Scientific Atlanta EMTA (Embedded multimedia terminal adaptor) - 2 X RJ-11 ports and one RJ-45.

The RJ-11 (Phone ports) are the small ones and this is where the phone connects. The RJ-45 Ethernet is for internet.

However there are some different older set ups.

If you let me know what equipment is there and maybe a photo or two I can tell you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

crawler wrote: »
    UPC now provide a Scientific Atlanta EMTA (Embedded multimedia terminal adaptor) - 2 X RJ-11 ports and one RJ-45.

The RJ-11 (Phone ports) are the small ones and this is where the phone connects. The RJ-45 Ethernet is for internet.

However there are some different older set ups.

If you let me know what equipment is there and maybe a photo or two I can tell you...

I'm doing a new OS install on her computer and have got the modem so I can install that for her. All I know is the modem is a Netgear WPN824v2, but she said to me this morning that she can't get her phone to work without the modem. :confused:

Now, on the modem I can see no socket for a normally phone jack.
    She told me that she has another small black box which we both assumed was for the phone, but she says it won't work with that box because the small black box has to be connectd to the modem for the phone and computer to work. I've not seen a Chorus set up before but thought this a big strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

crawler wrote:

Yep. That is what she has. I popped round to have a look. I saw the EMTA, checked the connections. They appeared to be fine, but there was no dial tone when the green button on the phone was pressed. The coaxial cable from the wall to the EMTA was also connected OK.

I discovered after swapping the phone line to the other RJ-11 socket that there was a dial tone, but only after you had pressed the green button twice.

Well, it works and that's how I left it. :)

Thanks for the input anyway.

Advertisement