Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Conan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I imagine the all out pvp wont hinder on the game too much since the 1 - 20 area is exclusively for people at those lvls. So you wont have loads of max lvl players slaughtering noobs for the laugh.

Ahh memories. I used to do that in DAOC's pvp server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

So what kinda server do yeas think your gonna go for? (those that are gonna get it)

PVP, RP (cough, nerds) or PVE (cough, pussies)

<_<

>_>

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

it seems a lot of ppl are relying on the PVP being exceptional -for the limited time i have played PVP stuff i cant see it causing much of a fuss in the community - i dont see any great innovation at all - (keep in mind most of the pvp content has been quite limited in the beta - they could have something interesting in higher levels / large guilds but i havent had a chance to test)

the PvE is very generic questing/grinding -
    tbh, in their current state i cant see either being very popular - i can see large chunks of the gaming audience going back to WoW expansions or starting another MMO instead of AoC

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's an interesting little hands-on preview here

combat tutorial vid : http://www.computerandvideogames.com/player.php?mode=article&id=1598

is that an irish accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just got an email that I'd thought I'd post up to rub it in to those not in the beta and to show others in the beta who didn't get the mail:
    Dear Age of Conan beta tester

We hope you are merrily chopping off Pict heads in the Age of Conan Open Beta, and that your journey in Hyboria has been a memorable one so far. You have only seen the beginning though, as we prepare an EPIC ending to your Open Beta experience.

On the 10th of May we are transforming the entire Open Beta into PvP MAYHEM, while at the same time giving you access to all which Hyboria as to offer! That is right, as we take down our servers for a short period we are at the same time changing the entire server rule-set to Free For All PvP carnage! Your servers will ALL become PvP! Participate if you dare, or make a new character and stay in the safety of Tortage!

Details:

* All servers become PvP servers. You can kill each other – no level restrictions on killing or getting killed, but you cannot PvP in the major cities.
    * All level 13 characters becomes level 20. Their inventory is wiped, but they have “tons” of money and really nice equipment suitable for level 20’s. Shopping bonanza!
    * You have access to ALL zones and ALL levels after level 20!
    * You will be zoned to your Race’s Hub (Cimmerians – Conarch Village, Aquilonians – Old Tarantia and Stygians – Khemi)

This means bye bye Tortage! Welcome Hyboria at large, and what a blast you will have. It all starts at level 20, and then it’s up to you, but you can be sure your fellow players will do their best to stop you!

We will get back with detailed information on the exact time it starts on the official Open Beta forums at IGN, as well as on the Age of Conan forums and community site.

You may ask, why skip levels 14-20? The reason is simple – the story. We take it seriously, and we would like for you to experience it at launch.

We urge you to join us for some epic PvP mayhem on the 10th of May, and we hope you will leave Hyboria with a bloodied smile on your face.

Heads will roll!

Sincerely
    The Age of Conan development team

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Bastage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Maximilian wrote: »
    Bastage.
    qft

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AOC Devs wrote:
    Default Registration now opened and new Early Access date for the EU servers
    Registration for customers with pre-order keys has now opened on http://register.ageofconan.com. Registering with a valid pre-order key (such as the Rhino or Mammoth key) is the unique way to be eligible to purchase Early Access for 5€/5$. This fee includes 10 days of game-time as well as the digital download of the client. Hurry though, because the Early Access is only available while supply lasts!

Note that pre-order items such as the Rhino and Mammoth is not available on Early Access accounts. Once an Early Access account is upgraded with the retail key, the virtual item can be claimed. The originally planned level capping of the Early Access has been removed.

The launch date for early access in Europe has been moved forward! Both the US and EU servers open on the 17th of May (5pm GMT). This date used to be the 20th for the EU servers, thus European players are now getting 6 days of early access until the regular launch on May 23rd!

Sweet, bring on the 64bit client and my mammoth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

is game in ireland doing that offer or is it just game uk?

• Advertisement

is game in ireland doing that offer or is it just game uk?

I believe it has to be game.co.uk, play.com or amazon preorders who get the early playing time. I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Hi,

regarding Server types:

-PVP
    -RP-PVP
    -PVE

as far as i know, but it might change or im wrong. :D

Sources: PVP Details

and

official conan site

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

afaik its only the online retailers which are offering the mounts, early access.
    Bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Game are aswell..

So, who played the Beta and what did ye think?

I was really enjoying it. I'm not sure if they're going to change the XP rewards, but you level incredibly fast (probably done because it's a Beta and they wanted to cut the grinding), which was a good thing because you got to see the first 13 levels of what the characters can do.

The character creation is fairly cool. There's a lot you can customize, especially the face (you can pretty much create your own face if you wanted to. The only problem is, I doubt anyone will ever get a good look at your face, anyway. There's a good selection of classes. There's 12, I think. And 3 races (all human). Only certain classes are available to each race, though.

The game looks incredible. Even on low settings it's pretty. I did have trouble when a new area loaded where, at one point, it took about 2 minutes for everything to appear on screen. It was also quite jumpy at times, especially in the starting town. This in particular pissed me off many a time when I'd press forward, freeze and suddenly appear in the middle of a large group of pirates who'd proceed to kick seven shades of ****e out of me. The load times of areas was also annoying, so hopefully this will be cleared up by launch.

In the beta you had a fair bit of freedom to bum about doing your own thing. The quests were the standard "Collect x amount of y" or "kill x amount of z" and the ever popular "feck off to the other side of the map and pick up something pointless and I'll reward you with something that really won't make it worth your while". Nothing too exciting, but to be honest, I expect these from MMORPG's.

I don't know anything about the world of Conan, except from the two films and even then I only really know of Conan and James Earl Jones and his snakes. So I was wondering if I'd be drawn into the game world at all. I did find myself really liking it though. It goes back to the graphics, I suppose, as well as the sound (when you start off in the Jungle, the sound is amazing, but then again I'm easily amused). The area at the start was fairly linear (apparently the game opens up when you finish the first section), but I didn't mind too much as it seems to be really well crafted. The characters are interesting and more gritty than in other games (there's a lot of prostitution and people with missing limbs, and in general it's got a more mature feel to it).

The game play was pretty good, but a lot of the time I hadn't a clue what I was doing. The combat is very good. Rather than the usual auto-attack and macros that a lot of other games use, this has a more beat-em-up feel to it. You have three main attacks (left swipe, right swipe and straight ahead) and then as you level you get more attacks. I was playing a melee character so all my attacks were close up attacks. With these extra attacks, you press the button and then have to press the associated attack direction. Your opponent rather set their defence to either side or above them, so you have to decide where to strike most effectively, giving combat a more strategic nature and as a result is much more rewarding.

Sadly, I didn't get to try the PVP part of the game. Last Saturday, they boosted everyone up to lvl 20 with kick ass armour and a load of money to spend and sent them off to their starting cities. But once here, if I moved at all, the game just crashed. :( Hopefully this will be fixed by launch. And actually, because of it, I'm a little weary of getting it. I might give it a month or two to let them iron out all the bugs.

I know this wasn't the best review/preview ever and probably won't make much sense to anybody who hasn't played the game (or to anyone who has!), so sorry :o

Thanks for that. Sounds promising.

Regarding the bugs though - I read that the reason the beta has been so buggy was due to the fact that an older beta client was been used. Is that still the case or did they switch to a newer version during the beta?

Either way, I'm sure all the bugs will be ironed out for launch. Not put off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm pretty sure they're still using an old closed beta client as the current open beta client. This is the response they give to people who say that the game isn't ready due to stability etc.

Cheers for the post Max, good to read a decent user preview of the game.
    Give more impressions!

Give more impressions!

You mean Humanji ;)

Maximilian wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Sounds promising.

Regarding the bugs though - I read that the reason the beta has been so buggy was due to the fact that an older beta client was been used. Is that still the case or did they switch to a newer version during the beta?

Either way, I'm sure all the bugs will be ironed out for launch. Not put off at all.

I think it was the same, but with a load of patches to it. I assumed most of the bugs will be sorted out, but I thought that about Vanguard. :D Actually, another reason I'm thinking of leaving it a month or so is to so that there will be less people in the start areas hogging all the named-monsters. Although that probably won't help at all.
    Give more impressions!

:(

humanji wrote: »
    :(

Sorry Max :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

gagging to play this, preordering today hopefully(US version though!)... watched a load of the pvp videos on youtube and it looks pretty sweet.

one thing that worries me though is how my pc will perform, it's above the minimum specs but not by a massive amount. maybe someone in the beta would be able to tell if i'll be okay with:

P4 3.4ghz
    2gigs of RAM
    Radeon X800 XT

Funky wrote: »
    gagging to play this, preordering today hopefully(US version though!)... watched a load of the pvp videos on youtube and it looks pretty sweet.

one thing that worries me though is how my pc will perform, it's above the minimum specs but not by a massive amount. maybe someone in the beta would be able to tell if i'll be okay with:

P4 3.4ghz
    2gigs of RAM
    Radeon X800 XT
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

P4 3.4ghz
    2gigs of RAM
    Radeon X800 XT

The games a bit of a killer, but you should be able to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

nice little site, cheers man.

yea from the looks of things most components are mid way between minimum and recommended, video card is only just below recommended so hopefully it'll be okay. mass pvp is probably gonna kill me though 8(

found this kinky talent calculator on cursegaming, dunno how much use its gonna be when the game is finally released, but its all good for hype eh?

http://feats.goonheim.com/

nice little site, cheers man.

yea from the looks of things most components are mid way between minimum and recommended, video card is only just below recommended so hopefully it'll be okay. mass pvp is probably gonna kill me though 8(

Tis a good site but be warned it can be a bit random too. For example it seriously over estimates my Laptops graphics card (8600m GT) and seems to think its up there with a 8800GTX/Ultra when its closer to a 7800GTX or even more so a 6800GT.

btw just saw this trailer http://media.funcom.com/aoc/video/FemmeFatale/ACHA_Femme_fatale_2008_web.wmv

wtf another irish accent?

Did they hire a lot of Irish voice actors for the game?

interesting, she has an irish twang on some words, like 'soul' for instance, but for the rest i cannot place the accent.

whoever she is, and where-ever she's from, i liked the narration.

It's deffo an Irish accent all right and the voice acting wasn't the best imo. It's one of those neutral accents similar to what news casters put on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Online Game Retailers Delivery on Release?
    Hi i was just wondering does anyone have any experience from ordering games from either play.com or game.co.uk i want to pre order Age of Conan

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/RolePlaying...an-Adventures/

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3310...s/Product.html

Anybody know which is quicker or do they dispatch before release?

Thanks,

Advertisement