Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus Change Spec in Response to VRT Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AudiChris wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/hybrid-prices-slashed-on-new-lexus-1300417.html

We were collectively wondering if the manufacturers would drop the prices, increase the spec or both after 1st July. Looks like Lexus are the first to show their hand (not that they had much of a choice).

Any thoughts?

what the article doesn't say is that they have slashed the spec along with the price. Have a look at the new spec when it's available - no satnav, ventilated seats etc. All it really means is that come July, the price will go back up to what it was pre-price cut, but without the same spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As others have said, there wasn't a lot Lexus could do. The IS is due a spec cut too I reckon. An IS220d has to compete with a 320d(both have similar power), and the 320d will be in 16% VRT and €150 road tax, while the Lexus will cost nearly 3 times as much to tax every year(€430 to be exact) and also will have 24% VRT. By comparison €430 road tax and 24% VRT in a BMW 3 series buys you a 325i(manual or Auto), a 325d Auto or a 330d Manual. We know the cheapest 320d will be yours from €40,781 from July, by comparison, the cheapest IS220d will be €40,609 even if Lexus do pass on the VRT saving in full, but as I say you will be paying much higher road tax on this. The interesting here is that at the moment, the cheapest 320d is €47,800, while the cheapest IS220d is €43,790, so whereas before the Lexus was the bones of €4k cheaper, now its roughly the same.

The 530i will still be a good bit cheaper than the Lexus post July too(€71k with a slush box roughly), even after this spec cut, and still has lower emissions than the Lexus, even though it's neither a diesel or a hybrid.

By the way, I presume €74k is what you can get a GS hybrid for now, after July even with the rebate you'll be paying roughly €84k for one, 13 grand more than the 530i with an Automatic gearbox, and the same road tax etc as the BMW.

Advertisement