Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic gestures

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

There was a discussion over the valentines period relating to just buying flowers on valentines when we should be treating the one we love regardless what date of the year it is.

So I like to think of myself as a bit of an "aul romantic" but after so many years together the imagination is having a hard time to come with new ways to blow her away.

So what small rosemantic gestures do you enjoy most? what are the small things your man does that sweeps you off your feet OR that you wish he did!

Do you prefer the odd *BIG* romantic gesture or lots of small ones throughout the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I prefer the smaller gestures during the year, tbh.

Things like my bf bought me a little meerkat teddy online as a surprise cos I'd love a pet meerkat, he took a day off from work to look after me when I was sick and didn't let me move to get anything for myself and someone he works with was selling some PC games she didn't need. One of them was an expansion pack for a game I love, he knew without asking it was the one expnasion pack I didn't have and bought it for me as a surprise.

That means a lot more for me than flowers on Valentine's day. I get flowers during the year out of the blue too which is much nicer.

i think it needs to work both ways. I do nice spontaneous things for him too, it shouldn't just be for girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

I prefer loads of little ones too, eddie rockets is my fav food...the other day i had a bad day in work and i came home and he got a take away of all my fav stuff layed it all out and rented a few chick flicks which he hates and had the sofa full of pillows and blankets....my jammies heating up on the rad,socks, my makeup wipes and a hair bobbin all ready for me totally to flake out and pig out... we had such a fun night and i forgot all about work.... so simple but thoughtfull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Big gestures are lovely, but the little things are what make me feel special and I make a concious effort to do the little things for him on regular basis.
    Favourite packets of biccies to have with a cup of tea, favourite pick a mix sweets, a dvd that was mentioned in passing. I bought him flowers once too, but he wasn't too impressed :)
    For me, one of the best things was when he bought me an MP3 player for Christmas, and had already filled it with all my favourite music. That's thoughtful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

macbarbie wrote: »
    I prefer loads of little ones too, eddie rockets is my fav food...the other day i had a bad day in work and i came home and he got a take away of all my fav stuff layed it all out and rented a few chick flicks which he hates and had the sofa full of pillows and blankets....my jammies heating up on the rad,socks, my makeup wipes and a hair bobbin all ready for me totally to flake out and pig out... we had such a fun night and i forgot all about work.... so simple but thoughtfull!!

aww, how sweet!!!your guy sounds lovely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

my jaw actually dropped at that! my god where did you find a man like that? they dont seem to live anywhere near my planet :D

edit: to answer the OP, I was 'seeing' a guy for just a couple of weeks, I had a cough and we were meeting for lunch one day and he brought me cough syrup, it was super thoughtful in fairness...then later he stole money off me, not so thoughtful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

Cathooo wrote: »
    my jaw actually dropped at that! my god where did you find a man like that? they dont seem to live anywhere near my planet :D!

haha... well i suppose it works both ways... he was startin a new job and was broke and had nothin to wear, on the morning of his first day. He woke up and i had a new suit layed out and a shirt and tie in his fav colour and tea and toast and a card and a teddy saying good luck.

haha... well i suppose it works both ways... he was startin a new job and was broke and had nothin to wear, on the morning of his first day. He woke up and i had a new suit layed out and a shirt and tie in his fav colour and tea and toast and a card and a teddy saying good luck.

wow you bought him a suit? very impressive :D you're both very lucky to have each other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

in fairness...then later he stole money off me, not so thoughtful!

thats made me lol!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

my jaw actually dropped at that! my god where did you find a man like that? they dont seem to live anywhere near my planet :D

edit: to answer the OP, I was 'seeing' a guy for just a couple of weeks, I had a cough and we were meeting for lunch one day and he brought me cough syrup, it was super thoughtful in fairness...then later he stole money off me, not so thoughtful!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

And macbarbie, that is one lovely guy you have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I like the little ones, I went out with a guy who use to bring me up a box of chocolates or a card telling me how much he liked m or I'd get flowers sent for know reason......he was very sweet and thoughtful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I like the little ones, I went out with a guy who use to bring me up a box of chocolates or a card telling me how much he liked m or I'd get flowers sent for know reason......he was very sweet and thoughtful :)

I got strange butterflies reading this post .... Why did you two split up then?
    My boyfriend is great really great and really thoughtful we live counties apart but he makes up for it in little ways and big ways .. but i prefer the little things any day!!! I think i've found my perfect man ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya i like all the little things during the year. like him turning up to surprise me when i had yet another kidney infection. or teh little picnic he had planned the day before my summer exams. he went all out for our second valentines this year which i loved but ive never had that kinda money spent on me. found it a tad over whelming at times.

Mine neither!

I imagine would like to be drip feed smaller romantic gestures.
    Its just a theory though because I have an mo for dating clueless self centred oafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I'm all for the little gestures as well.

So what little things do ye all do for your men to make them feel special? (I foolishly asked this question in BGRH. The answer I got was food. And head.)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Went to Oz a few years back for 6 weeks with friends. Only going out with Himself for 3 months before I left. We were in Singapore first for a few days and when I called him he said he missed me yada yada yada. Got onto our flight to Melbourne an walking down the aisles, there was some red rose leaves leading down the aisle. Sweet i thought!! Then, sitting beside my seat was Himself holding 12 red roses and a massive ''I Missed You'' teddy!!!!

Best holiday EVER!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I don't like this thread... it makes me feel very jealous of some of you ladies :(

What do I do for him... i like to send him little timed webtexts for when he's heading into work in the morning to tell him i love him or just something nice to make him smile. If i've done something wrong and I know I have i'll continually apologise and try to make it all better. I annoyed him this week so I sent him an apology mms msg when he would've been heading into work & then i'd a "i've been a complete ass" ecard in his inbox for him. Tonight... I am giving him a full body massage (feet - face/head), with candles, music, essential oils, massage bed up, heated towels etc. Just because I decided last week he needs it and I want to do it for him.

I dunno, I don't really get romantic gestures anymore :( He brought me out for dinner on valentines night & bought me a heart shaped cookie with sprinkles on it.. I would like the random I love you's etc again!! Although he did make me a gram for my igoogle homepage last week that cheered me up a little coz I was feeling :( I love the little gestures... or random flowers! i like random flowers....better give a damn good massage tonight now :P

That story about the guy buying the cough syrup then stealing money... hilarious!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

supermouse wrote: »
    Went to Oz a few years back for 6 weeks with friends. Only going out with Himself for 3 months before I left. We were in Singapore first for a few days and when I called him he said he missed me yada yada yada. Got onto our flight to Melbourne an walking down the aisles, there was some red rose leaves leading down the aisle. Sweet i thought!! Then, sitting beside my seat was Himself holding 12 red roses and a massive ''I Missed You'' teddy!!!!

Best holiday EVER!!!

Wow! That is seriously romantic!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Little gestures ftw. Definitely.

An ex of mine was brilliant for them, leaving me post-its because we'd both been working funny hours and didn't see each other, getting a keyring with my name on it for his keys and vice versa, making me dinner, collecting me from a party because I was too hungover to get the bus and not minding that he had to pull into the side of the road so I could be sick, texts in the morning to wake me up, texts at night, calls during the day because he saw something that he knew i'd like. Big hugs when i was feeling blue. Embarrassing himself stupid buying girly stuff for me and not caring. Coming to see chick flicks and cartoons in the cinema with me because he knew i loved them.

List is endless. Great guy. Definitely little gestures! :D

And Cath WTF with that guy stealing money????! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was in the UK and got ill. We had split up seven years before, but I rang him and he came and got me, he took a week off work and minded me.

We're not split up anymore. :).

When the chips were down I knew I could depend on him. Weird...

supermouse wrote: »

Best holiday EVER!!!

Aww that so sweet!

• Advertisement

maple wrote: »
    Little gestures ftw. Definitely.

An ex of mine was brilliant for them, leaving me post-its because we'd both been working funny hours and didn't see each other, getting a keyring with my name on it for his keys and vice versa, making me dinner, collecting me from a party because I was too hungover to get the bus and not minding that he had to pull into the side of the road so I could be sick, texts in the morning to wake me up, texts at night, calls during the day because he saw something that he knew i'd like. Big hugs when i was feeling blue. Embarrassing himself stupid buying girly stuff for me and not caring. Coming to see chick flicks and cartoons in the cinema with me because he knew i loved them.

List is endless. Great guy. Definitely little gestures! :D

Why is he an ex! Actually nevermind...is he single? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

She Devil wrote: »
    I got strange butterflies reading this post .... Why did you two split up then?

He said there was something missing between us, I did kind of agree but I would have been willing to try a little longer to see if things improved not that things were bad, we got on and always had a good time with eachother....I don't know just one of those things I suppose:(

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Yeah but were in the middle of a massive fight right now so its no longer romantic, its stalkerish till i forgive him again !!! :):):):):)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Why is he an ex! Actually nevermind...is he single? ;)

I know! Its cracked. But just one of those things. Worked on so many levels but overall was a bust. Mind you it did take 10years for it to finally be over. Wonderful man, even now I could call on him and he'd be there in a flash. We don't talk often because with that much feeling and history it would get confusing but there's a lot of respect there. Its a nice way to feel about an ex. He's the only one I have any time for actually.

And Cath WTF with that guy stealing money????! :eek:

don't get me started, I was stupid to lend him money, silly knacker never gave it back even though I hounded him for a year :rolleyes: at least I'm well rid of him!!

don't get me started, I was stupid to lend him money, silly knacker never gave it back even though I hounded him for a year :rolleyes: at least I'm well rid of him!!

:eek: Wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I think these days (im only in my mid 20's) couples give up too easy!
    If you have a decent guy who you really like never give up!!!
    Everyone goes through times with doubts ... it saddens me you girls had great guys and now you dont! :( Cos we all know there are enough Wnks out there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

:eek: Wanker.

+1 scabbiness/stinginess is the worst quality in a man. Puts me right off. So does dishonesty..... do you want to get the BGRH strike force after him?!

She Devil wrote: »
    I think these days (im only in my mid 20's) couples give up too easy!
    If you have a decent guy who you really like never give up!!!
    Everyone goes through times with doubts ... it saddens me you girls had great guys and now you dont! :( Cos we all know there are enough Wnks out there! :D

I think 10 years personally is enough time to know if something is going to work or not. I certainly didn't throw in the towel because of fleeting doubts. In my situation it was a lifestyle choice, one that I wouldn't compromise on that I ended the relationship for. Bear in mind you're hearing the romantic gestures, not the nitty gritty bad details.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    +1 scabbiness/stinginess is the worst quality in a man. Puts me right off. So does dishonesty..... do you want to get the BGRH strike force after him?!

I think so. I think Cath would appreciate it. We can get his address off her.
    If she's minding the bar, then she'll have a watertight alibi. :D

Advertisement