Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEST Company Law Textbook!

• 27-02-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

What would you reckon to be the best textbook on Irish Company Law? Not the best in a 'Company Law For Dummies' kind of way, but the best in the sense that Kelly is the best Constitutional Law textbook.

Thank you kindly for any help :D

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Forde is pretty good, well the latest edition.
    Keane is alright as well.

Stephen Dowling's The Commercial Court is also very good.

In terms of a tome, it's a drains up between Forde and Keane.

Just my opinion.

Tom

PS: Of course I have all 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Tom Young wrote: »
    PS: Of course I have all 3.

I really hope not. That would be far too much wealth tied up in legal tomes! (Seriously, how do they get away with charging so much for them?!)

Actually I was telling the truth. The difficulty with Company Law is that its rather vast. Most of the books go out of date and pretty quickly. The area moves along at a steady pace, whether considering UK or purely Irish developments.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I quite liked Keane's book way back when, mainly because its not the size of a house unlike some books. Of course that has its disadvantages too. No idea how up-to-date it is now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

I find The Law of Private Companies, by Courtney to be a very good practitioner text - I think it is 2002 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I have both Keane and Courtney's book. I really preferred Keane when doing my undergrad; mainly because it was shorter. In saying that, Courtney's book is full on info and is good for a more in-depth knowledge. It depends on what you're looking for.

Would agree. I forgot about Courtney.

I used the Griffith manual on Company when it came to exam focus.

Keane and Forde are most up-to date as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I think Courtney is best in terms of its analysis of actual real life scenarios as seen in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fowler100

Companies Act 1963-2006 by Courtney and Lyndonn McCann SC-excellent book-there has been a lot of change in company law since 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I liked Courtney when I used it in College a few years ago. I found it to be accurately and clearly written but again, it could be slightly outdated at this stage (DCC etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

So it seems as though Keane is the best choice for me as an undergrad then. I've had a few encounters with Courtney, and its vastness depresses me slightly, but I imagine it'd be very good for reference for a practitioner.

I agree about the wide scope of Company law, though. I get the impression that I could do all the reading (heh) and learn everything I could about it this year, and it'd still only be a drop in the ocean.

Thanks folks, you're all great...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think Courtney is better suited to practicioners.

Advertisement