Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anybody a regular of this joint? If you are have you noticed lately that on Friday nights, the High St side has been taken over by a much older crowd, the kind of guys who used to frequent O'Connells and the Spanish Arch. Wouldnt mind so much every one entitled to go in, but it can be so bad with them sleazin on every young wan that passes by or through. I know one of them a pretty prominent guy about town seemingly jumped a friend's girlf in there a few weeks ago, in front of my pal, needless to say a skirmish ensued. Just leaves a nasty taste in the mouth cause i always find the bar staff in there great and the atmosphere particularly in that high street side pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Totally agree, its a great pub but it has got rather greasy in the past few weeks. Seem to be a lot of the Spanish Arch desperate old guys with the wedding ring in the back pocket populating the bunch of grapes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

its a nice pub alright but i find they wedge too many people in to it on the weekend nights to relax fully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

How older is older?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Are you worried you might be in that age group?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too jammers and "shirts and skirts" for my liking. Whenever I'm forced there I usually hang in the smoking areas. Each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

that's it exactly. wedding ring in backpocket!!!!

Total desperado central. Married guys, married women, free for all, as for age groups in the region of 50 +/- 10 years.....

Can be totally obnoxious, auctions bring them out in droves, developers, solicitors, bankers, why oh why couldnt they just stay where they were instead of turnin the place into wankerville. God knows what they say to wives or husbands when they get home, shockin altogether. Once heard the Spanish Arch described as the 1661 Club, cause the women looked 16 from behind but when they turned around they were 61....one ''''lady'''' of an age where she should no better was so pissed last friday that she could barely stand up, later saw her in the charcoal grill ordering a kebab and milk and noted that she didnt care whether it was cow's milk or human milk, your man behind the counter told her she was lucky his wife was breastfeeding.....nice :eek:

Goin to avoid the place like the plague until they mooch off somewhere else, or just head down the back but loud music and check shirts give me headaches.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Considering that it's the same bunch of people drinking in the High St side for years, you must be relatively new to the place. They just look greasier later at night because the bar opens later so they have more drink in them.

As for a "skirmish" taking place in High St a few weeks ago, oddly enough nobody I talked to in there (and I know several of the bar and door staff) who work in the place can remember anything happening in High St, and they would because very little in the way of fights happen in there!

As one person remarked, he hasn't seen a 60 year old throw a handbag in there yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

If anything, I think the place has started to draw a very young crowd and I have been going there on and off for over 5 years. The reason I liked the place to begin with was that it had a good in between age group...not too old and not too young. Now they wedge you into the place. You can't budge in there and trying to get a drink at the bar is mission impossible. The clientel have in my own humble opinion has changed for the worse. Seems to be getting a lot of the King's Head ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anybody a regular of this joint? If you are have you noticed lately that on Friday nights, the High St side has been taken over by a much older crowd, the kind of guys who used to frequent O'Connells and the Spanish Arch. Wouldnt mind so much every one entitled to go in, but it can be so bad with them sleazin on every young wan that passes by or through. I know one of them a pretty prominent guy about town seemingly jumped a friend's girlf in there a few weeks ago, in front of my pal, needless to say a skirmish ensued. Just leaves a nasty taste in the mouth cause i always find the bar staff in there great and the atmosphere particularly in that high street side pretty good.

There's always been an older crowd drinking in that part of the bar, especially after work on Fridays, anytime I'm in there I see the same old faces. There is one guy you'd notice regularly sleazing on girls, but he's the only one I've seen, apart from before Christmas when a drunk asshole about 60 was trying to grope girls walking past him.
    The 2 lads who work the bar in there are sound, but I'm not in there too often anymore cos its just too packed. Neachtains if you can get a seat is much better, or the Dew Drop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Zzippy wrote: »
    There's always been an older crowd drinking in that part of the bar, especially after work on Fridays, anytime I'm in there I see the same old faces. There is one guy you'd notice regularly sleazing on girls, but he's the only one I've seen, apart from before Christmas when a drunk asshole about 60 was trying to grope girls walking past him.
    The 2 lads who work the bar in there are sound, but I'm not in there too often anymore cos its just too packed. Neachtains if you can get a seat is much better, or the Dew Drop...

Yeah it can be jammed at weekends but it's a great place to go midweek for a pint and a bit of a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I dislike the Front Door because it is too warm. I have gone off Buskers because it is too loud.

OH MY GOD, I am turning into my parents:eek:

PS Spanish Arch Bar is known as Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

t Once heard the Spanish Arch described as the 1661 Club, cause the women looked 16 from behind but when they turned around they were 61....one

Ha ha, best one ive heard about the place yet. Im a trainee solicitor and a lot of the (family law) clients tell me that its the 'place to be' for divorcees on a Thursday night. Had the serious misfortune of being in there on a Thurs night recently (not my choice!) and it was sleaze central. A load of aul wans sucking the faces off each other - havent seen the likes since the bish disco!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

was in there for a couple of pints last night and didn't see any middle aged sleaze merchants now i have to say!! must be the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Fey! wrote: »
    Considering that it's the same bunch of people drinking in the High St side for years, you must be relatively new to the place. They just look greasier later at night because the bar opens later so they have more drink in them.

Fey! has drop kicked the correct - the clientèle hasn't changed in the Front Door in all the time I worked there, older, local Galway crowd who usually head off to the Arch later on on the Saturday night but tend to stick it out on the Fridays. Stick to the Cross St. side and the crowd is far prettier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Jeez tell you what Galvian why not get the bouncers to check the id of anyone over 30 and tell them they are too old to come in there! So you have noticed that these old guys are sleazing at the young uns, so doesn't that meant that you are watching them? couldn't that come across as you giving them the eye then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

If I wanted to be crammed into a pub like a cow waiting to be milked (of my money) I would go to the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

i am so going there next time i'm home. drunk auld wans? yup im there

Advertisement