Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theft/Crash/Insurance Muddle

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Bit of an odd situation here*. A friend of mine had her car taken by her partner (without her permission) and he wrote it off (crashed it into a tree). He was seen leaving the crash. Now, the Insurance are refusing to pay out, as the car was not broken into, as he had the keys. The Gardai are refusing to do anything, as they cant prove that he did not have permission, despite my friend telling them that he didnt. She was out for the whole night, and didnt know anything about it until the next day. Now, the car is totally written off (around 10ks worth) and now my friend is out of pocket. The gardai said they can only prosecute him for leaving the scene of an accident. The Insurance company said they will only pay out if the gardai report him as stealing the car.

Does anyone have any advice what to do?

*Some (non-essential) details have been left out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

tpft insurance I presume?

Dont think she's gonna get any joy from the insurance company unless shes willing to put her partner in jail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...or takes out a civil action against her partner.
    How well does she like him?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

She has fully comp on it, but he was not insured to drive it.

Shes not with him anymore (if anyone remembers a previous post I had, this is the second time).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

She should make a statement to the guards that the car and keys were stolen. She should then get a letter from the guards that the car has been reported as stole on the day in question. If the guards are awkward she should complain to the Garda Ombudsman.

The guard in question, does not like my friend, and is doing nothing about it, to screw her over. She is making an official complaint to the local seargant and if no good, then she is going to the Garda Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

antodeco wrote: »
    She has fully comp on it, but he was not insured to drive it.

Shes not with him anymore (if anyone remembers a previous post I had, this is the second time).
    Surely if the guy was not insured to drive the car then he was driving without insurance which is a crimminal offence on top of leaving the scene of an accident. Your friend needs to go in and say she wants to make a report i.e. she is reporting that the car was stolen by her boyfriend. It is not up to the gardai to question whether she is lying or not - that is up to the courts when the ex is getting prosecuted for stealing a car, driving without insurance and leaving the scene of an accident. Did your friend go into the gardai and say she wanted to report her car as having been stolen? Can a garda just say "no, I am not going to file that report for you"?

Yup Axer, thats pretty much it. Reported it as being "stolen" but the guards said that as the person who ran from the car matched her partners desription, then there is nothing they can do. Yes, this seems VERY bizarre! I dotn understand it, but the guard doesnt like them. She has reported it the Seargant this evening and made an official complaint to the Ombudsman. Unfortunatley, she is still without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't bother with going to the Sergeant, go straight to the Ombudsman, you'll get results quicker. The Garda is being completely ignorant of his/her duties, and has a legal right to investigate this theft, as that is what it is. Go into the station, make the complaint again, and if that pr1ck of a Garda won't do anything about it, DEMAND a Sergeant straight away, there and then, and make a complaint of theft, and an Ombudsman complaint against the Garda (not a local complaint).

If they ahve a description, then they can question the partner. It's that simple.

Its the fourth complaint to be made about him into the station. There was harrasment by him going on for a while.
    The complaint has gone in, so hopefully she will hear something back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

seek a personal meeting with the super, ask to make a written statment, in his presence, i believe this the correct protocol in this instance

• Advertisement

old boy wrote: »
    seek a personal meeting with the super, ask to make a written statment, in his presence, i believe this the correct protocol in this instance

Cool, thanks for that info. Ill let her know, and hopefully it can sort itself out.

Advertisement