Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges??

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Who pays the bin charges? The landlord or the tenant? Surely if I want to bin something, I have to pay regardless of being either. Is it different for a house/to an aprtment?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

are you talking about tags or fixed charges? either way I'd say the polluter pays. It's like asking your landlord to pay for your electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

hey tbh do you know which is better value? With the fixed charge you rent the bins yearly and get a certain amount of pick ups is this right?Do most tenants have to use bin tags?How do they work? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

I think fixed works better but in our small dev of 8 apartments we went with fixed commercial bins as the the two of the four renters were using the permanent residents bins as witnessed on cctv. On top of that the fixed bins were 50% cheaper than individual wheelie bins. So in our case the landlords pay through their managment fees.

Whats the difference between a fixed bin and a wheelie bin? I thought they were the same. So if you were renting out your apartment you would have to pay all the bin charges and not the tenant? Is there a way to break up the charge so the landlord pays maybe for the bin rental per year(why cant they just buy a bin), and then the tenant pays for every time they get rid of rubbish? But to my mind thats a bit like the TV, if a tenant owns the tv, they pay for the licence, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm no expert, but my understanding of the way it works in Fingal, where I live, is that you pay a fixed charge and then pay per lift (8 euro a bin). I think tho that some management companies provide a collection service and charge residents to use it. I'm not sure how the cost should be divided, but if I were a landlord - which I'm not - I would get the tenant to pay. Include the yearly charge in the rent, and then they pay for their own tags (assuming a council service). If it's a management company, factor the cost in in their rent. That's just my opinion tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does the lease say?

Legally, the landlord is responsible for making sure refuse is collected. In practice, in apartments the refuse is communal and included in the rent. If it is a house that is rented out whole, then the tenant is repsonsible.

Thanks for that Victor. Im gonna give dublin city council a ring now and find out about the tags.

Advertisement