Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TV] Quick RTE news snippet on bad Irish broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Noone was really blamed for it, but at least it spread the word a bit.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0226/9news_av.html?2342263

About the 4th link down on the right.

ye olde recycled answers from Ryan...
    "85% of the country has broadband availability"
    Who feeds him this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

excellent link. I enjoyed that snippet from RTE. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

What makes this even sadder is that many people are still struggling with dial-up and would be delighted to have this pathetic level of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk on about same thing right now

Mike

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Matt Cooper had Eamonn Ryan on his show this evening also. Eamon went on about how important all these "talks" are, while Matt was sticking at him about doing and not talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I heard the Matt Cooper interview, Ryan is so full of shit it's unreal. He said Ireland is now in the middle of the OECD tables. Cooper was quick to point out that OECD doesn't include 3G though, which Ryan conveniently includes in his figures. I think he said we're actually bottom, or very close to the bottom, and have barely moved in the last two years. Nearly 200,000 3G broadband customers now. It's sad that the majority of those have absolutely no other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    Ryan is so full of shit it's unreal. He said Ireland is now in the middle of the OECD tables.

Ryan is his own worst enemy, he blindly parrots what some misguided civil servant is telling him.
    He doesn't even bother to verify these bizarre assertions. He could simply look at the OECD tables for himself...
    Or even the latest ECTA tables.
    But no, we just have to believe him when he pronounces "ex cathedra" like that.
    He is behaving like the archbishops of old...I suppose if you follow the Goering model of propaganda he's doing fine, keep repeating the same lies somebody, somewhere might believe them. Meanwhile the rest of us are falling around the place laughing at him for being so gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

bealtine:

For Irish politicians (and indeed probably elsewhere) the incessant repetition tactic seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, I suspect those who see how absurd it is are in the minority. The press are really almost as useless as the politicians.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jor el wrote: »
    I think he said we're actually bottom, or very close to the bottom, and have barely moved in the last two years. Nearly 200,000 3G broadband customers now. It's sad that the majority of those have absolutely no other options.

According to the rte report we're very close to the bottom.
    Penetration - 12th out of 15 EU countries.
    Speed - 33rd out of 35 OECD countries.
    Cost - 4-5 times more than our competitors.

Absolutely ridiculous. Given the amount we are paying we should be getting a top class service.

Advertisement