Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Half Full

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking back over the last 20 years or so.
    I think this is the most positive I have ever been about Spurs and our prospects for the future.

I was fairly confident in 87, 90 and 95. We were great entertainers in 86/87 with nothing to show for it, then Hoddle (peace be upon him) and Gough left. We finished 3rd in 1990 and we were the home of gazzamania, although we won the cup in 91 I thought our squad was fairly average. In 95 God only knows what we could have acheived if Klinsmann, Barmby and Popescu had stayed. Once they left we were back to square 1 again.

Now, looking at our current squad, the manager, his asistant, the money constantly being spent on improving the suqad, The fact that we have just beeten Chelsea at Wembley, last 16 of UEFA, the hammering of arsenal, Outplayed Man Utd the other week. 3 seasons in a row in Europe.

Everything points to a very bright future and not another false dawn. I think that the sleeping giant has finally awoken.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I hope to God your right fella. CL is the next big step I would have thought. Id love to be watching us in Europe on a Tuesday or Wedensday instead of a Thursday over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i remember after the league cup win against leicester just thinking "yay, we won a cup" but not that we had a team that was going places or anything. THIS team though... bale could be great, woodgate and king (if they both stay fit) could/should be the england duo, and i really REALLY REEEEEALLLLLY rate alan hutton. Lennon has been the best winger in the prem for two years (bar that fella at manyoo) and jenas seems to be turning into the player he was meant to be... keane and berb, awesome. robinson if he gets back to his best is fine in my book, huddlestone is another with buckets of potential, i have alot of time for steed on the left, but he aint gonna win you leagues... a centre mid and left mid is where i'd be looking to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I hope to God your right fella. CL is the next big step I would have thought. Id love to be watching us in Europe on a Tuesday or Wedensday instead of a Thursday over the coming years.

Yes indeed, and if we can keep this squad of players together this summer and keep the manager I think the likes of Liverpool will be looking over their shoulder worringly.

I had convinced myself a long time ago that Berbatov is as good as gone.
    However now, I'm happy to say I'm not too sure about that any more. Time will tell.

Bale to come back too, new keeper in the summer and you can probabally add one or 2 big money signings also.

I'm very excited mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

ditpoker wrote: »
    i remember after the league cup win against leicester just thinking "yay, we won a cup" but not that we had a team that was going places or anything. THIS team though... bale could be great, woodgate and king (if they both stay fit) could/should be the england duo, and i really REALLY REEEEEALLLLLY rate alan hutton. Lennon has been the best winger in the prem for two years (bar that fella at manyoo) and jenas seems to be turning into the player he was meant to be... keane and berb, awesome. robinson if he gets back to his best is fine in my book, huddlestone is another with buckets of potential, i have alot of time for steed on the left, but he aint gonna win you leagues... a centre mid and left mid is where i'd be looking to improve

Great call on Hutton - the boy's a winner, has the quality too and gives it everything. Very very happy with him - hope he stays for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yes indeed, and if we can keep this squad of players together this summer and keep the manager I think the likes of Liverpool will be looking over their shoulder worringly.

I had convinced myself a long time ago that Berbatov is as good as gone.
    However now, I'm happy to say I'm not too sure about that any more. Time will tell.

Bale to come back too, new keeper in the summer and you can probabally add one or 2 big money signings also.

I'm very excited mate.

As far as Bale is concerend, Im mad about the young fella. We only got to see him for a few weeks, and when we did see him, he was our best player in several of those games, ie at Old Trafford. He will be like a new signing again next season, and its refreshing to know that we will have a cultured left foot in the side next season, and the fact that he can slot in either left full or outside left is great. He certainly could be a star in the making, afterall, Sir Alex was mad to get him if you believe the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

ditpoker wrote: »
    i have alot of time for steed on the left, but he aint gonna win you leagues...

I think Steed has been our most improved player this season - a real pro and never whinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed,what a legend a tireless worker with great feet he should definately be part of our future plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

We have some great players, and some good ones, but unfortunately still a good few average players. We need to translate this positive momentum into signings - we need a team like, dare I say it, The ARSEnal, a team capable of putting out a second searing team with confidence, Man U and Chelsea also have that strength in depth.

I think this is our next level - I am confident and hopeful we can achieve big things next season, but we will need to improve the squad still to get there.

Advertisement