Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the days of the back street panel beater over?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was down at my local factors inquiring about 2 pack spray paint for touching up my van. I was told that all these acrylic and cellulose paints are now banned and cannot be sold over the counter. The alternative is a water based paint that involves sofisticated ovens or favourible climate conditions to dry effectivly ie it takes ages to dry. Is this the end of the back street panel beater who cant afford the right equipment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

As far as I know, all spray shops will soon have to meet EU Health and Safety standards, meaning appropraite ventilation etc. This could spell the end of a lot of such shops in certain areas where it will become uneconomical to maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

These regs were introduced by the EPA and came into effect in January 2007. I doubt there are many painters who dont have an oven nowdays and if there are I wouldn't use them !

Having said that my guy says there isn't a huge difference in the way it all works !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I got a bonnet sprayed lately by a "back street panel beater". And my god, i stood outside and looked in a the cloud of paint, fumes etc. in the air. I daren't walk within 5 feet of the entrance, i can't understand how people work in these conditions. Then, i was in a up market paint shop, the difference, it was astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Then, i was in a up market paint shop, the difference, it was astonishing.
    So was the price, the running cost of a spraybooth between diesel and electricity is staggering, if we were farmers we'd be grant aided.

junkyard wrote: »
    So was the price, the running cost of a spraybooth between diesel and electricity is staggering, if we were farmers we'd be grant aided.

Funnyily enough he's cheaper:o...

• Advertisement

He must be running it as a front for some other business so because mine is costing me a fortune since waterbased paints have come in.

Well i know this fella through the trade... It's alot cheaper than what i've priced around... Costly past time though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Waterbase paint is not as bad as it sounds, requires heat and air to dry properly, main diff is that w/b requires laquer coat for all colours so no more single coat finishes ie 2k. w/b wont dry in reasonable timeframe if you dont have heat so dont bother even trying. If you have a spaceheater/ infrared lamp can be done no probs. Send me pm for details

2K paint is still available, it's being branded as for industrial use instead of for cars etc., Solid colours are still available from most motor factors who know about the loop hole. I have to say though that waterbased paints still have a long way to go, colour matching isn't great, colour covering isn't great either and I always seem to be buying tinters. And as usual we're still used as guineapigs for the paint companies development.

Advertisement