Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blockage in toilet outlet

Options
  • 27-02-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I have a partially blocked toilet and want to try going at it with a good plunger before spending €100 or more on getting it cleaned out professionally. Anyone know where I would find a plunger with something like this?

Also, where can I get a drain snake for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Hamiltron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

you could use a black plastic bag over your arm. to try and unblock it.
    people dont like it cause of the thought of what is down there.
    but you can always wash your hands after.
    (of course this will only work if the blockage is in the first bend!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

John mac wrote: »
    (of course this will only work if the blockage is in the first bend!)

Unfortunately, I am guessing that the blockage is further down... When we were away for a couple of days, we came back to an unsavoury smell from the region of the sewer cover outside the house (gone now that we are back and flushing again).

I might give that a try tonight anyway if I can't get the required implement. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know where I can find the items mentioned (plunger with flange, and drain snake)?

Oh, and I know I can get them online, but I don't want to wait for the best part of a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I got one in either Homebase or Atlantic Homecare at the Royal Liver site. Naas Road / Kylemore road

About €56

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Drain snakes occasionally come up in lidl/aldi.

A hosepipe may be worth a try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

My dad sometimes got away using a mop with a plastic bag over the top of it and plunge away....Its easy enough to unscrew toilet pan and pull away from mulitwick, then check out the 4inch waste, or there should be a cleaning eye on the outside of the waste, you can insert a rod down it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

you can buy a set of sewerage pipes in any builders merchants for about €40 to €50 they come with different head attachments and will reach upto 10m something handy to have around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Be careful if you use rods ('sewerage pipes') on a toilet. Could scratch the bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Many thanks to all for the advice.

I had had trouble finding the items in the more run-of-the-mill hardware stores (Atlantic, Woodies), so a builders providers for the rods and extend my search for the plunger sounds good to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

i doubt you'll get rods around the u bend in a toilet , ya might try some drain unblocker , youll get it in most diy stores , its like acid and will get through any blockage.

Advertisement