Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropping out of a Maynooth course in my 4th Year

• 27-02-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I was sick for a large part of the first semester, I don't think I can pass.
    I haven't got the money to repeat in September (living costs included)

Now I reckon I have a job sorted, on a decent salary, stuff like health insurance, pension and such all taken care of.

What are my options?

Can I come back full time in a year from September?
    If I get my degree from a part time course is that as good?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Go in and talk to your department head and then to admissions/registars office. There are prob more options available to you than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Go see Peter Carr, I had the same problem last year and I saw him, and I'm repeating on medical grounds, so I didn't have to pay fees. He's very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Yes, I had the same experience. I was sick for months in my final year and didn't feel I could cope with the upcoming exams etc. Peter Carr gave me very good advice and I didn't have to pay fees to repeat. You will need medical certs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gogsy

ya, peter carr helped me out, go have a chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As the others have said, go see Peter Carr. He was once college registrar and knows the workings of the University inside out. If there is an option for you, he will find it!

Many departments allow people to defer the entire year, depending on circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Peter is a really nice guy, and will point you in the right direction about everything. did you do the exams in first semester, or miss them with a medical cert? cause you might be able to repeat in august and not lose your honours or have to pay for them. if you did them though you might not get the honours, my course did but not all do. talk to someone in dept and see what happens.

A degree part time is as good, its done to the same standard but over a longer time. im doing my masters over moodle part time and i do the exact same as anyone in the course, but i do it over 2 years instead of 1.

Remember, a degree is always good to have. depending on what you do, it can limit your career options at this stage. Put in some good time thinking about it.

Best of luck, not an easy decision.

Advertisement