Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Sales Rep - Is he lying?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I had a sales rep from Eircom call in my area last week. They are doing a campaign to try and win back customers (good luck to them). My exchange is not BB enabled but he told me within 2 weeks it would be, in fact they were working on it that day... This sounds a bit too good to be true.

I phoned Eircom sales up and they didn't have a clue. They werent even aware there was a roll out plan and basically I could have got more information talking to the answering machine they have.

The exchange in question is Newtownforbes in Co. Longford.

Anyone have any contacts in Eircom that can verify deny this? The sales rep is going to call back today, Id like to know.

Thanks,
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Xcellor wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone have any contacts in Eircom that can verify deny this? The sales rep is going to call back today, Id like to know.

Thanks,
    X

Drop a mail to the eircom press office. I've found them helpful in this regard in the past. It may take a few days to get a reply but they generallly do.

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like sales rep fibs... anything to rack up a few sales and hit their targets! [/Cynicism]

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I've no idea if it's true or not, but just be aware that if your exchange is enabled you don't have to buy an eircom package to get bb from it. Any of the bitstream providers will be able to provide bb off of the exchange once it's enabled.

Just letting you know in case someone tries to feed you a line just to get your business. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like the sales rep trying anything to get the sale, contact Eircom press office or try posting in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95197

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ntl told me they'd have service in my area in february. that was i think 4 years ago. i wouldn't sign up to any telco based on a promise like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ask him to give it to you in writing, and see what he says. Eircom have been doing this for years but normally they would give an answer like its getting upgraded in 3 months time or something more vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

It might be true :) Eircom are known for telling their field agents if the exchange is going live before everyone else.

As already stated earlier in the thread you do not have to be with Eircom to get bb on your live any reseller will be able to provide it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

admol wrote: »
    It might be true :) Eircom are known for telling their field agents if the exchange is going live before everyone else.

As already stated earlier in the thread you do not have to be with Eircom to get bb on your live any reseller will be able to provide it :p

I've also heard of exchanges being enabled & not telling anyone till their sales team have called door to door, gives them a headstart on BT & Perlico etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have also heard of sales reps promising you the stars to get your business. I would wait until it is enabled to be safe.

People here have posted the upgrade lists before so if anyone has that you could check. I think they're on the website but I'm not going to look. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doodlbug18

It's very unlikely the sales rep is lying. These guys are normally paid by commission, and he won't get his commission if the sale isn't completed. I don't know about eircom - but most companies only pay sales bonuses for term contracts after the customer has been retained for a period - 3 - 6 months.

If I were you, I would sign up immediately. There is likely to be a rush on lines after your village gets enabled, and there may not be enough lines to serve everyone with Broadband. You could end up on a split line and never be able to get Broadband...worse still the value of your house could be dramatically lower if you try to re-sell it...just go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

doodlbug18 wrote: »
    You could end up on a split line and never be able to get Broadband
    Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrong &
    worse still the value of your house could be dramatically lower if you try to re-sell it...just go for it.

Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's very unlikely the sales rep is lying. These guys are normally paid by commission, and he won't get his commission if the sale isn't completed. I don't know about eircom - but most companies only pay sales bonuses for term contracts after the customer has been retained for a period - 3 - 6 months.

If I were you, I would sign up immediately. There is likely to be a rush on lines after your village gets enabled, and there may not be enough lines to serve everyone with Broadband. You could end up on a split line and never be able to get Broadband...worse still the value of your house could be dramatically lower if you try to re-sell it...just go for it.
    Rubbish. I have personally been lied to by Eircom sales reps on a dozen or more occasions in the last few years as to when broadband will be enabled on my exchange. Yes they are on commission, if they get you to sign up for a line they get money. It doesn't matter to them if they are lying because they aren't going to be held accountable for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's highly LIKELY the rep is lying. He just wants the customer to put the voice business back eircom's way, this will go through without any mention of broadband, and he'll likely just tell the customer to order broadband in a few weeks when the exchange is enabled (which it more than likely won't be).

What a crock. I think there is a high degree of probabilty that you are the eircom weasel being discussed here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jor el wrote: »
    It's highly LIKELY the rep is lying.

It's highly LIKELY the rep is lying. (outright if the line rental and or calls are with another carrier AT PRESENT ...that is ) .

Otherwise its highly likely that they are mopping up BB customers on a 12 month contract in a bundle because they were told in advance when the exchange would go live for BB .

Would you not if you were eircom, Perlico and Imagine certainly ring around .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

worse still the value of your house could be dramatically lower if you try to re-sell it...just go for it.

What are you talking about since when has the value of anyones house ever been affected by having a phone line. Never mind dramatically its not even a factor.

The rep is likly making this up he wont get his commission off bb he will get it off the line once its back with eircom and once you get onto eircom your stuck with it till your contract runs out. Id make a complaint to eircom about pushy sales like this the guy is counting on the fact that no one will ever pull him up on this till its too late. I used to work for eircom I know how the sales people can be if they can get away with a lie they will.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In my horrendous experience of dealing with Eircom, the telesales agents lie, the field agents lie, (I have recordings) the team leaders lie, nobody knows what is actually going on, nothing ever happens until about 6 months after you stopped caring, and they will charge you for all of this misery until you roar at 15 people who will all not leave notes on your account so you have to continually re-explain yourself, because at Eircom, the buck stops with us, the customer, and they just dont care about you or helping you out. They really need to completely change their customer service orientation. The only time I have ever worked anything out satisfactorily with them is because I went into an Eircom office and laid into them with all the evidence I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Jeepers, Newtownforbes still doesn't have broadband? You gotta be ****ing kidding! But in this country anythings possible :(

As for the Eircon sales rep, who may well be telling tall stories, I would say believe it when you see it, and no sooner.

If it were me, I would call up that salesman back, and ask him exactly what date the broadband at the Newtownforbes exchange is due to be switched on, if he didn't give you a date already. Then, the day after, use one of the online line checkers to test your line (or a neighbours line if you're not paying Eircon line rental). If it passes, go ahead and get it (from BT), if not, you will know that the Eircon sales rep was talking out of his backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Just got rumours from BT that the exchange is getting upgraded presently... Thats from two sources...

Prob is I have a contract with o2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

SeanW wrote: »

If it were me, I would call up that salesman back, and ask him exactly what date the broadband at the Newtownforbes exchange is due to be switched on, if he didn't give you a date already. Then, the day after, use one of the online line checkers to test your line (or a neighbours line if you're not paying Eircon line rental). If it passes, go ahead and get it (from BT), if not, you will know that the Eircon sales rep was talking out of his backside.

Just to mention: those linechecks arent in realtime. Far as I know they get updated about once a month-so often when you test it, it will fail even tho the exchange has been done-same goes for new lines. So even if the exchange has just been done it will definitely read as unsuitable until the checker is updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Eh - folks, I think doodlbug18 was being ironic a few posts back there.

Anyway - I can confirm from my reliable sources that Newtownforbes is definitely on the list of sites to be enabled for DSL in the next few months - BUT - that's as much as I can confirm. It almost certainly is not going to be enabled at least until April or May at the earliest. There are some issues with getting the necessary transmission capacity into the site and this is delaying the launch.

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Heya Grommet

Wondering if you have any updates on if this is still on schedule.

Cheers,
    X

Advertisement