Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

back on ere for a few days until i get banned for good!!!

so, des, what is the update, has everybody paid by now?maybe a name and shame is in order?:pac: and it would also give us an idea of the squad.

we defo need 2 or 3 players, CB and MF i think to move from a decent team to a league winning one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I still haven't paid yet. Queue in bank was mental friday. I'll transfer it online but for each new account they've to send you a pin now so I've to wait til that comes so it'll be the end of the week

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I still haven't paid yet. Queue in bank was mental friday. I'll transfer it online but for each new account they've to send you a pin now so I've to wait til that comes so it'll be the end of the week

how did you pay last time? are u aib? its not a new pin, its a card. tut tut martin, thats slack man!!!

No, I'm BOI. They've changed the system now so that everytime you register a new account for lodgement they send you an activation code for that account. I paid in the bank the last time. I wont be near a bank this week as I've exams so it'll have to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I wont have the $$$ until 01-04-08. is this ok ? It will be transferred on the day.

• Advertisement

I wont have the $$$ until 01-04-08. is this ok ? It will be transferred on the day.

u taking the piss mr louthman?!:eek: i thought we had to have this paid this week? its not looking good lads, des, how are we sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm also not paid up, what can I say, times are hard...

Savman wrote: »
    I'm also not paid up, what can I say, times are hard...

do some busking up grafton street mate, they will love you! you on the banjo, shay on the spoons. ye wont be long gathering the €120 each.:D:D

What can I say...its a good thing Cheltenham is only once a year:eek:

Im good for it

how is our squad looking this year? i think we are 1 or 2 players away from a league winning team. as we showed last year, if we have everybody, then we can match and beat anybody. we also proved this the season before, to a lesser extent. however, if we are missing 3 or 4 players, we can struggle bigtime. this is what happened at the end of the season, holidays/work/injuries cost us and we dropped 14 points in the last 6 games after picking up 16 from 18.

so, anybody left?
    anybody joined? jules, wat about that mate for CM that you were on about, played for ibm or some other team?

i have a mate mark that is interested in playing, a cb. he has played for boards before and was one of our best players on the night.he is injured at the moment however. hopefully he can join and will become a great asset if he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

Hey lads!
    I didn't post before coz this is a sh!tty decision for me. I think I'll have to give this a miss for a season but I'll be back to play in the rain with yis again in a few months if ye'll have me.
    I came back too soon (even though it was after 3 months) from a foot injury last season and I feel I've been off the pace since. Its still well sore so I'm going to be 'sensible' and make sure it gets healed properly.
    I think I would probly miss about the first half of the season so theres no point me taking a place that can go to someone who can play every week.
    I guess I'll just have to be a fan for a season and watch ye win the league!
    Joe

sorry to hear that joe. hope to see you at a few games, u never know, it may heal quicker than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Lads, I posted on here last week asking for interest in a friendly or at least a 5-a-side at the weekend. Think I got one taker - (I'm aware some are away and some have genuine reasons but from 20 players, that's) simply not good enough.

We've lost momentum from the end of last season and fallen right back into making the same mistake as before last season. At the last match we asked for a friendly or training session to happen the very next week to keep things ticking, that, and nothing since, has happened - I don't know why, maybe Des does.

For the past 2 or 3 seasons I've put my credit card forward to take the €1800 provisional liability to secure our place. Not sure there's too many here that would be prepared to stump up and take that liability and at this stage I need to see details on numbers that have paid before I cut it off to limit my exposure.

Here's the problem: we need to add 3 or 4 quality players to the squad and that involves replacing a few players, and lads know that - why would people pay when they're not sure if they'll be replaced? That was the whole point of trying to get early friendlies and training going - so that new players can give a chance to show what they can do and then we could have finalised a squad list before the payment was due. What do we do now - ask current squad to pay, hold off while we try add a few more players?

In terms of organising a game or training what is needed is just set something up and tell players to be there, if it's a friendly and we don't get the numbers we should be able to find bodies from somewhere, likewise for a 5-a-side. We should have at least a 5-a-side this weekend and next Tuesday, and again the following week, though friendlies are obviously preferred, but we need to get something going or we will start the season rusty and without the opportunity to have improved the squad that little bit we need.

Whatever about the direction we're trying to work towards, we don't currently have a full club setup so imo it's a bit rich for lads to give out about nothing being organised and at the same time say they're not prepared to help with organisation. If Des can't make it to 5-a-sides or just wants a break, we should be able to take care of it amongst ourselves.

Another problem is we're depending on this forum as the main means of communication but it's clear it doesn't reach many of our squad. Texts should be used as the primary means of communicating for availability going forward. I remember hearing about some site on the web that lets you sign up a group to a texting mailing list and anyone on that list can send a text to the whole group with one text. Can't remember the name but will look for it - used right that could be handy for us.

Here's what I think are those that do and don't access this forum:

Carl - No, text only
    Martin - Yes
    Darran - yes, where is he?
    Ed - Yes
    Dan - yes, (Ed has been able to update on behalf of)
    Michael - yes, where is he?
    Geoff - yes, where is he?
    Simon - yes, has posted a few times
    Cathal - rarely posts on boards
    Shay - yes, has posted a couple of times
    Colm Larkin - yes, has posted once or twice
    Gav - no - text only
    Sav - yes
    Larry - no, text only
    Dave - think he's posted once
    Darragh - yes, where is he?
    Kenny - no, text only
    Lepo - yes, where is he?

Joe - unfortunately will miss next season due to injury - sorry to hear that Joe and good luck and you're right to give it time to heal fully.
    Jules – Yes
    Art - Yes, posted once or twice though Ed can update on behalf of
    Fran - no, text only

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

Dave - think he's posted once

Or 76 times!

I've been trying to set a date with Des for that friendly against the college team I played with and Wednesday 2nd of April was thrown out there. Thoughts?

Good for me

Sorry Dave - was confused about usernames...come to think of it we should probably sort out a list of usernames and real names so everyone can tell whos who.

Fair play about the friendly. 2nd April suits me though I'd say if we could do it the Tuesday 1st instead we should be sure to get numbers cos our league matches are on Tuesdays so lads should be available.

Let us know how they're fixed - once we know they're available we should just book a pitch and let our squad work to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I should be available either the 1st or the 2nd for a friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fatmag

I'd be able to make the 1st, not sure about the 2nd

ok, seem to be making progress, cheers dave. good news at last. im not back in dublin until the 6th so i wont make it.i aint tested my injury in 6 weeks, its not totally right but defo way better than what it was and i should be ok.

jules, will you text me when you get a chance please? just wanna run something by you.

and des, you know we all love you ( :D ) so please start posting again and get things back on the road. we have 3 or 4 players interested in playing, we need games for them to show their worth, 1 or 2 aint enough for them. also, we need games ourselves to get a roll.

and lads......its no big drama that alot dont post, i would say 14 of our 20 or so players have access, so thats 6 people down for every game, discussion. and im a firm believer that everything should happen on the pitch and be talked about as a whole on the pitch after the games (persaonlly i would like that after match discussions are taken away from the forum i.e. match report and general comments only, no big long winded comments, myself included)

but for discussions like friendlies and pre match and payment and anything, no offence, shay, mikie, darran, darragh, colm, art, dan, simon, lads, an old reply to show your still with us would be nice!!!!!!!!!

lets get the boardeaux show on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm still interested in trying out. Just need a time and date :)

I also offered Des a friendly a while ago against the folks i play with. I assume Des is taking a break/busy at the moment so i'll make the offer here as well.
    I'd need a couple of weeks notice though to talk to the guy who arranges our games.

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    I'm still interested in trying out. Just need a time and date :)

I also offered Des a friendly a while ago against the folks i play with. I assume Des is taking a break/busy at the moment so i'll make the offer here as well.
    I'd need a couple of weeks notice though to talk to the guy who arranges our games.

good stuff, these things always take time to get kicked off, but once the season starts, our organisation, due to des, is always top notch for games.

keep an eye on this thread as there should be updates daily now as the season is 2 weeks away.

but for discussions like friendlies and pre match and payment and anything, no offence, shay, mikie, darran, darragh, colm, art, dan, simon, lads, an old reply to show your still with us would be nice!!!!!!!!!

Ive posted on some thread, dont know if this one or not that im 100% paying, but simply dont have it until next monday. Payment will be made then.

Can play any friendlies arranged also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

friendlies sound like a good idea and I should be around for either 1st or 2nd april and most likely any time on the weekends.

This is Colm btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Whatever about the direction we're trying to work towards, we don't currently have a full club setup so imo it's a bit rich for lads to give out about nothing being organised and at the same time say they're not prepared to help with organisation. If Des can't make it to 5-a-sides or just wants a break, we should be able to take care of it amongst ourselves.
    I presume that's directed at me because I said what seems to be true for the whole team. I still stand by it though, I'm all for the footballing stuff but I've no real passion for the other side of it. Maybe that's selfish but call it what you will.

I don't remember "giving out" about nothing being organised, I'm actually well aware that I would be in no position to criticise anybody for not doing a job I wouldn't fancy myself especially when its voluntary.

As some lads already know, I tried getting a friendly in motion but I ended up being expected -by both sides admittedly- to arrange the whole darn thing. Not really into that tbh.

sav, fair play on getting this up and running. you put out a genuine query and now everybody has responded.

anyway, now that we seem to be making progress, lets get this in gear and move up another few notches.

my motto for this season though remains, lets do our talking on the pitch. WE ARE GOING TO LOOSE GAMES, WE ARE GOING TO PLAY ****E more than once or 2 times, so thing is, can we deal with it and learn from it. will be good to get some new blood in, i hope they are decent players, but they deserve more than one chance to proove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hey lads,

I declared my interest in joining up a couple of weeks ago through PM's to Des

I am available for friendlies/training etc Mon-Thurs. I'm usually not in Dublin on the weekends.

I'll keep my eye out on this forum...I usually log in on a daily basis.

1st does not suit me for a friendly. I have an exam that day and the next day

Just transferred money there. Apolgies for the delay

Yeh fair play Sav for getting the discussion going, again we the reality is not all players access the forum so we just need to be aware of that cos there's a chunk of the squad missing this conversation but at least it gets to the majority.

Sav, that point was directed at anyone that wants things organised but isn't prepared to help out organising it - don't take it the wrong way, it's just I feel if you're gonna highlight a problem its better if you're gonna be part of the solution, but at least you're honest and open about your position on it.

I don't think any of us are particularly interested in organising stuff cos we just want to get on with playing football, but it's a necessary evil in order to make it happen. I've done a fair bit of it behind the scenes over the past few seasons and it just highlights to me the great effort Des has put in to make things happen. Des is entitled to a break every now and then and so we should be able to keep things going by organising it ourselves. If that effort is spread across the squad with different people taking turns, it works. If its left to the same people all the time, it doesn't. Simon stepping in to organise the 5-a-side is a good example.

Now we have a 5-a-side session let's use that to get momentum back and have a look at a few players and take it from there.....it's defo not too late for us to hit the ground running at the start of the next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Howya lads, I've PM'd Des a few times about getting involved with the team again this season, I dont want to haunt the chap with PM's and completely piss him off so I'll express my interest here again.

Let me know what the craic is, I'm around Dublin whenever there is a friendly or kickabout or whatever. I am happy to sign up if there is a place in the squad for me.

Advertisement