Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest grocery price comparisons

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Was it a fair comparison? That would be my question. Having never actually eaten any Lidl/Aldi food I don't actually know, that's why I'm asking.

Like is the quality and taste of the food comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Good shopping at Lidl is a learning curve and most Irish consumers are lazy, preferring to stick with the trusted and tried more expensive brands that they've bought over the years . You have to seek out the things that are good quality in Lidl and that means buying a few duds until you find your feet.

Off the top of my head, the pepperoni frozen pizzas which are less than half the price of their equivalent elsewhere are the best I've ever tasted. And once yoiu try the huge frozen curries packed with chicken and flavour at some ridiculous price (2.50 I think), you'll think twice about ordering a takeaway on a Friday night. Vegetables can't be beaten for value (Lidl is where cheapo tomatoes still taste like tomatoes) and the free range eggs and great too.

I still do shopping at Tesco's for staples such as beans, altho recently I even found a good coffee at Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tazz T wrote: »
    And once yoiu try the huge frozen curries packed with chicken and flavour at some ridiculous price (2.50 I think), you'll think twice about ordering a takeaway on a Friday night.

I bought one of them, enough to feed two for 2.50. Can't argue with that, 6 free-range eggs 1.40.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

bmaxi wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with Lidl / Aldi and have always found the staff to be very civil. My question is, did you leave it at that? If I had an experience such as you describe, in any shop, I would demand to see the Manager and ask him if this was typical of the training his staff received, I very much doubt it. Should I feel I was being fobbed off by the Manager, I would ask for the name and 'phone no. of the Area Manager, this would be readily available from Head office and the Manager would know this. People are too ready to accept this sort of behaviour and then seethe about it to themselves or come on to Boards and moan, I know, it's a way of blowing off steam.
    You say you work hard for your money and don't deserve to be treated like that, I say you do deserve to be treated like that because you allowed yourself to be treated like that. If it should happen again, in any store, just leave your shopping on the belt and go and seek out the Manager, if he/she is not available walk out of the shop and console yourself with the chaos you've left behind for the cashier to sort out and explain to his/her boss. Then, next opportunity get on to Head office and complain.

You know what, you're dead right. I really felt like walking out and leaving the lot there but i guess i was so shocked if you know what i mean. It was late, and i dont particularly like confrontation. My mother was with me and even she was stunned at the service. I will try it again next week and see if it's any better. Probably just got someone on a really really bad day. The shop itself, as i said was very nice. It was just the service at the end. I'm a big girls blouse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its not fare to compare supermarket prices with some of their own spurious products. Lidl and Aldi Ice-cream is woeful. I would pay quadruple the price for quality Ice-cream. Same goes for some of their biscuits, cereals and some of their desert puddings etc. Branded goods that are commonly sold in all contesting supermarkets should only be compared such as milk, KP Peanuts, brand name cereals, vegetables, cheeses, meats etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Comparing Lidl and Aldi to Tesco isn't really a very fair comparison.

Lidl/Aldi store are very basic and depressing. The food is quite generic, they don't accept credit cards and they don't have a loyalty scheme

Tesco shops are nicely decorated and warm, there is a far bigger choice of food and they are far more welcoming places than Aldi / Lidl.

If you look at the price of the Tesco Value stuff, it's around the same price, if not cheaper, than Aldi / Lidl. The normal Tesco own-brand stuff is also very good value.

Comparing a major brand name item such as Coca Cola to a generic cola from Aldi / Lidl isn't fair as the generic cola doesn't actually taste anything like "the real thing" and Tesco also do a Value bottle of cola for around 30c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lidl do laser/switch and it was warm enough last Saturday at 9 am. They are Ryanair to Tescos AerLingus.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mike65 wrote: »
    Lidl do laser/switch and it was warm enough last Saturday at 9 am. They are Ryanair to Tescos AerLingus.

Mike.
    I think Lidl and Ryanair are related :)

lidl.gif

RyanAirInFlight.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I actually shop in Aldi, Dunnes and Tesco every week..... They each have an advantage over the other for what i need.
    Aldi- apples, water, cheese, youghurt, Kidney beans, spices, Freshly queezed OJ, lettuce(99 cents in Aldi compared with 1.49 from Dunnes and Tesco)
    Dunnes- Soup, bananas, cookies, sweet corn,
    Tesco-mixed veg, prawns, milk, permesan cheese, mango, avocado

I live by myself so in a week i spend €40 in all three shops this includes lunch as well...

Advertisement