Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grating sound-407

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

When I take a left turn, there seems to be a grating noise coming from the general wheel area. I'm driving a 407.

Any ideas what this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Could be a problem with your abs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Obvious one but have you checked all the wheel nuts are tight? (all wheels)

Does it also make a tick-tick-tick sound as you turn - that would be the CV joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Moanin wrote: »
    Could be a problem with your abs?

Cheers

Would that only show up when turning left? Is there anything else that would indicate this might be the problem?

stevec wrote: »
    Obvious one but have you checked all the wheel nuts are tight? (all wheels)

Does it also make a tick-tick-tick sound as you turn - that would be the CV joint.

Didn't check the nuts but will do that this evening.

I'm not sure about the ticking. I only heard it for the first time this morning as I had the radio turned down. It sounded more like grating at the time however I cannot be 100% there wasn't a ticking sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

could also be the plastic wheel arch liner has come loose and rubs on the tyre when you turn.

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »
    could also be the plastic wheel arch liner has come loose and rubs on the tyre when you turn.

I did think about that ok but just had a quick look this morning and that didn't seem to be the problem.

I'll give it a good spin this evening and see how I get on. I have a long drive this weekend and I'll have to get it sorted prior to then.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

sounds like the cv joint is shot. usually the rubber boot surrounding the joint wears..the grease around the joint ecscapes and you get a nasty grinding sound when turning.

Advertisement