Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hairy hand

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

hmmm.

heres my problem.
    i broke my wrist and after the cast came off to my horror,
    my hand & arm had sprouted dark hairy... well.. hairs..

im quite fair & this is really horrible.

its starting to affect my self esteem now,
    yes i know people probably dont even notice the hairy hand,
    but i know its there,
    i feel like a fella... :(

so my question is... has this happened to anyone else?

should i shave it? wax it? immac it? :confused:

please help, cos the last thing i want is for it to grow back darker & coarser...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i wouldnt remove it because it would probably only keep growing back.
    maybe try Bleaching it?? is it very long??

what an unusual place for hair to grow... doesit normally happen wherever people have a cast?? anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Niamho! wrote: »
    what an unusual place for hair to grow... doesit normally happen wherever people have a cast?? anyone know?
    Yep.
    Hair growth is generally inhibited in areas of "high traffic", that is areas which tend to rub off clothing or experience a lot of "wear". When you remove this wear, the hair will grow.
    I broke my knee when I was a kid and had my whole leg in a cast. When the cast came off I had hair on the back off my knee, just under my knee at the shin, on my calves, etc. Now I don't.

OP, if you shave it off, it probably won't come back. Or you could wait and it should come off naturally. Despite what any magazine tells you, shaving hair does not cause it to grow back quicker, thicker or in more areas.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL, same happened to my arm, dont worry about it, it goes back to normal after a month

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

thanks everyone, im feeling slightly better now...
    only the casts been off since end nov & im still as hairy.
    the hair even grew (very fine mind) on the back of my wrist! that really freaked me out.
    my little nephew called me a werewolf. sensitive little bloke, hes starting early at 4! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Mrs doyle was fond of jacks hairy hands :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Cant really offer any advice but dont shave it cause it will go really prickly on you. good luck hope it goes away soon for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Movershaker

Wax it off and be done with it. Hopefully the hair that grows back will be the usual fair, downy kind. Don't shave it or Immac it as then it'll be stubbly. If you wax it you're removing the entire hair from the root.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm picturing your face when the cast came off :eek: !!

Just bleach it for now, then it will eventually wear away. Poor thing, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

seamus wrote: »
    Despite what any magazine tells you, shaving hair does not cause it to grow back quicker, thicker or in more areas.

I disagree. Before I started shaving my legs the har was very fine and blonde (shouldn't have started in the first place, damn teenage descisions) whereas now it grows back darker, rougher and very quickly. The first time I shaved it took the hair about two weeks to grow back, but now I'd give it a day and I'll have horrible stubble all over 'em.

Hairs grow thicker at the base than at the tip, so when you shave off the fine tips of the hair what's going to come through the skin will be the thicker base. I'd imagine that if you stopped shaving for an amount of time all the thicker hairs would eventually naturally fall out and be replaced by normal hair again.

On topic: I'd be very wary of shaving hairs from my arms or hands. Maybe try waxing a small patch and see how it goes.

Advertisement