Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Dublin...for free!

• 27-02-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

This is a budget-inspired thread. I'm sure there are plenty of things to do in Dublin when you're broke so we might as well start a list and see what we can put together!

For starters:
    • Howth & Dun Laoghaire piers at the weekends, when the place has a bit of a buzz from the markets (it's free to look!)
    • Walking in any of the city's parks: Stephen's Green, Iveagh Park
    • The National Gallery of Ireland--admission is free and there are free tours at the weekend too
    • National Museum of Ireland. At least I think it's free. can anyone confirm?
    • Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar
    • Yeats Exhibition at the National Library
    • Grafton Street--enough to keep you amused for a little while on a weekend!

More suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Pheonix park of course.

I thought the Yeats exhibition in the library was a bit crap though. The people reading the poems were so poor they ruined them.

Is the botanical gardens free?

Watch some rugby in Trinity college, when the first team plays.

Ask some triinity student to bring you into the old library for free.

Can't think of much...

Sometimes there are free films on in Meeting House Square during the summer I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

hiya

best free thig i have been to lately was the lightwave exhibition in tinity in the science gallery...awesome!! this exhibition is extended til march 1st (hurry hurry!) but they had a load of great stuff happening round the city too. myself and some mates went to a related thing at grand canal dock for free and had loads of fun (we did bring some drink with us :p)

Also joined in, in the grafton street freeze ... theres a thread on here somewhere about it or search youtube ... their going to be doing other pranks too !

Next free bit of fun for me is going to be pearl@docklands... part of the paddys day festival weekend. (again we may bring a drop of booze to this)

It would be good if people would post details of upcoming events here, so we can all save a few euros !

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Folks, I can't believe you haven't come across this yet....

I'll copy the description from its facebook page....

Hi!

Since June 2007 the Dublin Event Guide (for Free Events) is issued once a week and lists/describes/recommends/suggests free weekend events for the coming weekend. The Event Guide is totally free and is sent by e-mail to all subscribers (usually on a Thursday evening).

Events that get mentioned are festivals, concerts, exhibitions, fairs, talks, courses, markets. Anything and everything that could be interesting to people living in or visiting Dublin and is free.

The original idea behind that Event Guide was to inform just FRIENDS about free events, but in the meantime lots more people are on the distribution list and it is growing on a daily basis. :-)

If you want to be part of the exclusive group of Dublin Event Guide readers ;-) , just send an e-mail to

dublineventguide@gmail.com.

Please note: You HAVE to send an e-mail to this address if you want to receive the Guide. Joining this group is not enough! Thanks.

I am limiting the listed events to FREE events based on the thinking that paid-for events have it easier to advertise because they have some money and usually a different organisational structure AND because it should be doubley rewarded if someone puts on FREE events.

That doesn't mean, that I think EVERYTHING should be free, and I understand that many events can not be free, but there are plenty of websites and printed event guides in Dublin that list the paid-for events. A selection of the sites are

www.entertainment.ie
    www.dublinks.ie
    www.discoverireland.ie
    www.indublin.ie
    www.eventguide.ie

The "FREE" rule for listings in my Event Guide has a few exceptions. Paid-for events can be listed if

a) I am organising the event or am directly involved in the organisation (a rather selfish reason I admit ;-) ) OR
    b) if the event organiser can make a few tickets available for free that can then be passed on to the readers of my Event Guide in the context of a competition OR
    c) if it is listed together with another free event from the same organiser.

So if you are organising an event and after reading all this you think it should be listed in the Dublin Event Guide, let me know about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It might not be everyones cup of tea but you could sit in on the Mahon Tribunal for a few hours or indeed any of the courts around the city. Again not to everyones liking but it is free.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement