Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Write Off?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

A colleague in work here had accident and wrote her car off last week. She's just had a call from the insurance company to offer her (what I consider an undervalued payment). Anyway, has anyone ever appealed that amount offered and how do you go about it??

What I thought was even weirder was that they told her to ring a certain scrap yard and tell them she accepts their offer of €400 for the car (bearing in mind she never had any dealings with these guys or sent the car to them) - is this normal practice ?? I thought the insurance company were supposed to settle with you for the value of the car and then dispose with it as they felt fit - not sell it on your behalf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When my first car was deemed "not economical to repair" (after a woman in an S40 pulled out from a junction in front of me on the N3 one morning), her company tried offering me the book value of the car + scrappage - in this case about 1500 less than I'd paid not 6 months earlier.

Needless to say I didn't accept this. My whole position was their client was at fault, had accepted responsibility, and therefore it was their responsibility to get me back on the road in the position I was in before the accident - which didn't include a written off car or being 1500 quid out of pocket! As far as I was concerned, they could recoup the cost from their client.

Took a bit of "venting" and escalating (and links to similar cars on carzone that were in fact older, more mileage, and more expensive than mine) but having done this I managed to get the full price I'd paid back from them - and in under 3 weeks too!

Moral of the story.. if you think it's undervalued (and do some checking for prices on similar cars) then tell them so, and don't be afraid to ask for management the instant they say no.. most of the time they just don't have the authority to agree/conceed - keep escalating until you get to someone who has.

(EDIT: I WAS surprised though at how my own insurer didn't want to have anything to do with it once they were satisfied it wasn't my fault/they wouldn't be paying it out. I had to do all the chasing of the other person's company myself which I must admit, I wasn't impressed with. I would've thought that your own insurer should help here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

When I insured my car I said the value was 4000 euro, which is what I paid for it. 6 months later they tell me they reckon its prob worth 1500. My car was stolen. Thought I would never get it back, and then be 2500 out of pocket, and no-claims bonus scrapped.

They are chancers.

I have just recently, yesterday, recovered my car which is not too bad, I hope. no superficial damage, save for a bent door, popped barrel and broken ignition. I informed Insurance man, who saidhe was pleased I got it back, and then said, "Ahh, ye won't be claiming will ye?" Course I will, isn't that why I'm insured. I have third party fire and theft. Obviously I must be covered.

Also, my car was in storage in Irish Towing Services for 7 days. Ony told 2 days ago?? Cost of tow to storage from where recovered is 170, storage is 35/day, and tow to my house is 102. You do the math.

Guy in ITS was friendly and said he would charge the GARDAI, and only charge me the 102.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone else had dealing with Quinn Directafter car stolen??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Kaiser's right, establish the pre-accident value first - either from carzone or with a note from their dealer. At least then she'll have a position from which to argue with them,

Advertisement