Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got n95 8gb

• 27-02-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Received this phone yesterday. its a genuine o2 branded model which I got off an ebay seller...sim free. The phone works perfectly.

How do I got about updating to the latest firmware? I've installed the cd that came with the phone, so whats the next move: :rolleyes:

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The Nokia PC Suite has a software updater. Plug in your phone via USB and make sure that it is set to the general profile.

Run the updater and follow the insttructions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I seem to have a problem...i followed what you said but get the following msg:

"Unable to find phone.

1. Please check that the phone is switched on and connected to your pc.

2. some phone models require that you select the correct connection type from the phone, in this case make sure you have selected the pc suite mode.

if the problem persists, it means the nokia updater sofware does not support your phone model."

I've done and checked this 3 times....what do I do now? What could be wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

On your phone did you check to see if the USB connection type is PC Suite.

Is it the software updater or the PC Suite that is not recognising your phone

Ginger wrote: »
    On your phone did you check to see if the USB connection type is PC Suite.

Is it the software updater or the PC Suite that is not recognising your phone

yeah i checked and its connected to the pc suite on phone. its the software updater that gives me that msg after trying to update the phone :(

got it sorted...but it says that the phone is already up to date with the latest version....11.0.026 i thought there was a version 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Received this phone yesterday. its a genuine o2 branded model which I got off an ebay seller...sim free. The phone works perfectly.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

If its an o2 branded model it will have a type o2 firmware, and, while its unlocked to accept other sim's, its not genuinly "sim free" in the truest sense of the word.
    The o2 firmware, like vodafones 8GB firmware, is subtle but its there nonetheless.
    Just look at the pre configured APN's or web shortcuts on your handset to see if there is any o2 related items there. If there is, you'll have to wait for the firmware upgrade for that firmware, and, don't hold your breath, carrier firmwares are quite slow and sporadic to appear, if at all.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

got it for €420 total including shipping costs. Reasonable I thought.

quintron wrote: »
    If its an o2 branded model it will have a type o2 firmware, and, while its unlocked to accept other sim's, its not genuinly "sim free" in the truest sense of the word.
    The o2 firmware, like vodafones 8GB firmware, is subtle but its there nonetheless.
    Just look at the pre configured APN's or web shortcuts on your handset to see if there is any o2 related items there. If there is, you'll have to wait for the firmware upgrade for that firmware, and, don't hold your breath, carrier firmwares are quite slow and sporadic to appear, if at all.

If I got this unbranded(i've a mate who's well up on this sort of stuff) would that make a difference? I'd prefere to have an unbranded model tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

If I got this unbranded(i've a mate who's well up on this sort of stuff) would that make a difference? I'd prefere to have an unbranded model tbh.

yeah, it would... Generic firmware update's different to o2's fw!
    Btw, your prob could also be that it's not an irish O2 phone...or is it? But anyways: if you can get it unbranded, do it!

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    yeah, it would... Generic firmware update's different to o2's fw!
    Btw, your prob could also be that it's not an irish O2 phone...or is it? But anyways: if you can get it unbranded, do it!

the ebay seller was from antrim...so its uk o2 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Nokia phones with carrier branded firmware are assigned slightly different product codes to the generic / unbranded / SIM-free versions of the same handsets. The product code is what the Nokia software updater looks at when you attempt to upgrade your firmware. If your product code is for an o2 branded handset and the o2 firmware hasn't caught up with the latest Nokia firmware, the software updated will tell you you're up to date.

It's possible to change this product code to a generic one and to update with the latest generic firmware (although this may be considered voiding your warranty), and plenty of people appear to have done it successfully. There's a guide to doing it here: http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

Advertisement