Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupping - Does it Work??

Options
  • 27-02-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi ladies. I was wondering if any of you have heard of this new thing called Cupping. The device is called Acucups or something and apparently they get rid of stretch marks, cellulite, veins etc. Has anyone heard of these and if so do you know if they really work or are they just another gimmick. I've heard that theyr'e all the rage with celebs etc. See link below. Ideally I would like to get them to remove stretch marks from having a baby, so was just wondering if anyone knows anything about these.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3879447.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Did you know placebo's have a 20% sucess rate?

This, in my humble opinion, is a load of nonsense designed to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

ive never heard of it used for stretch marks..
    but its used for ridding ur body of spider veins.
    the practitioner actually pricks ur body over the vein & it sucks the blood out.
    my dad had it done on his legs.
    he'd recommend it to everyone who'd listen!
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I used to have a mad yoke of an acupuncturist who'd be whipping out all sorts of random things when I was lying down on her table, she did that cupping stuff to my back once. I don't know if it did any good for what I was going to her for (I can't actually remember what that was!) but it did feel nice, it kind of pulls on your back muscles and works tension out of them.

Acupuncture is great though, I don't care if it's a placebo effect. It's cured me of insanely bad migraines and stress, and it fixed my mate's tinnitus that the doctor said was incurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

i'm getting cupping done at the moment, still haven't decided if it's worth it or not!! i think it is....!! but i doesn't leave marks on my back like it did on yer one's in that pic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tofueater

Hi Pampers1

I'd usually do cupping for pain relief ie. back, sciatica, shoulder pain that sort of thing. It can be used to improve the circulation of the area being worked on. It also strenghtens and introduces a warming affect to a regular acupuncture treatment.
    I've never heard of it being used for getting rid of stretch marks but in theory at least it should work.
    With traditional bamboo cupping, a piece of burning cotton is quickly placed and withdrawn from inside the cup. This creates a vacuum which sticks the cup onto the skin. The skin is drawn up gently into the cup and this stimulation improves the circulation and the movement of Qi in the area.
    Most people enjoy the feeling of a cupping treatment, it's soothing and relaxing.

I hope this is helpful.

• Advertisement

tofueater wrote: »
    I've never heard of it being used for getting rid of stretch marks but in theory at least it should work.

I don't see how it could possibley work on stretch marks.
    Stretch marks are the scars from when your skin is stressed past it elastic limit. They are permanent.

Off topic.....how do you like your tofu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tofueater

Shallow fried with ginger and sweet chilli sauce! Mmmmm:D

Nyom! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IloveAchill

hi there, I agree with tofueater - I use cupping for things like shoulder or back pain - I never heard of it being used for vein removal - it is also deeply relaxing as the body eliminates a lot of heat ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I've been using acupuncture for knee and back pain for a while now and cupping was used for some of the time. It felt great and worked really well. That said I've never heard of it being used for stretch marks. To be honest apart from laser treatment I don't think anything actually gets rid of them once you've got them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement