Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Webster-The new Bosman?

• 27-02-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Following Andy Webster's contract arbitration result (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Webster) it is possible that Cristiano Ronaldo (for example) could buy out his contract in two years time for the remainder of it (£12million) and leave to join another club. It's something that's entirely possible according to this month's edition of World Soccer magazine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

wasnt there rumours that Lampard was going to do this at Chelsea before? This can be done I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Trilla wrote: »
    wasnt there rumours that Lampard was going to do this at Chelsea before? This can be done I believe

Yep. I'll continue to use Ronaldo as an example. His current 5 year contract with United began in the summer of 2007 when he was 22. So in theory, he could break it in summer 2010 and join a new club, if United were paid compensation of £12m, the equivalent of his remaining 2 years wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh its been possible since last summer.

Ronaldo can buy out his contract in 2 years if I'm not mistaken (which is why United are trying to tie him down for another extension this summer)

Heinze could have used it last year but didn't. Lampard can use it this year.

I'm very hopeful this will have a deflationary effect on the transfer market. As such, a really high profile example of this would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

It gives more power to the players and their agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flyswatter wrote: »
    It gives more power to the players and their agents.

Good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good.

Why? They allready do as they please at a whim. It's ridiculous. I dotn know why clubs bother with contracts at all, they arent worth **** all at this stage. The players dont have to honour contracts, if they dotn like something or want to leave they just kick up, yet if the club tries to do anything the player doesnt like, as part of the contract or not, there is uproar and the player gets his way.

The only ones that have to honour contracts are the clubs.

It also gives more power to rich clubs, as they will be able to poach players a lot easier. It's going to drive up wages, which will ultimately result in fans getting screwed over even more than they are currently. That said, go free market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A few players took advantage of this law before Webster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eirebhoy wrote: »
    A few players took advantage of this law before Webster.

Like who? Any house hold names?

Nah. Some guy in La Liga did it anyway. Impossible to google something like that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

any time i've seen this mentioned, the papers have said it can only happen if the player is above a certain age, 27 i believe?

edit: that can't be right though as Webster's seems to have been only 23 or 24 when he invoked the loophole... that's weird, because i definitely read something about age being a condition.

This is only from recently but:
    Alex McLeish has denied moving for free agent Lamine Diatta after the Besiktas veteran bought himself out of his contract: 'I'm looking at him,' says the Birmingham boss, 'But I haven't done anything.'
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2255448,00.html

Even Hearts signed a player, Ruben Palazuelos, who bought himself out of his contract with his old club.

There's a particular one I remember reading on the Sky Sports website and it mentions the 15 days notice. Maybe it's just Webster's was the first case to be challenged. Isn't it an EU law anyway?
    any time i've seen this mentioned, the papers have said it can only happen if the player is above a certain age, 27 i believe?

edit: that can't be right though as Webster's seems to have been only 23 or 24 when he invoked the loophole... that's weird, because i definitely read something about age being a condition.
    You can buy yourself out of a contract after 3 years once under 28. Over 28 you just need to serve 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would imagine G14 agreed not to do this to each other, doubt any high profile players would do it. The image rights are lost seemingly and you owe the club that plus the remaining contract.

kdjac

All the articles on the internet seem to say that Webster's the first player to take advantage of the rule. Maybe I'm wrong so.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Would imagine G14 agreed not to do this to each other, doubt any high profile players would do it. The image rights are lost seemingly and you owe the club that plus the remaining contract.

kdjac

Image rights are a big deal. This is to allow people to move to prevent restraint of trade. It's not to allow the players to get whatever the **** they want and dammed the contracts.

Advertisement