Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for quick car sale

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A Quck sale is a rare thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Good price, how long have you had it up?

Out it in adverts.ie, in the papers, buy and sell, notices in shopping centres, sign on the window, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddybryan

i put it up before xmas but i dropped the price recently. im heading away in 3wks and i want to move it on. i got some over seas interest, but i dont trust them. could be scams. have a few garages that said they would take a look and make an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A Quck sale is a rare thing these days.

I advertised a car last sunday week, had a buyer by last wedensday and money by last friday. There's been lot's of people here talking about a slow market but it seems that if you're selling at the right price, it will sell.
    To the OP, I'm not an alfa basher, I have one myself, but that's overpriced. Advertise for €3,995 and be prepared to let it go for between €3,600 and €3,700.

cheers, i reduced that price, and im willing to listen to serious interest anyway. i havent bothered getting it NCTed but i think i'll get it moved on at least at my lowest value.

• Advertisement

Also, when was the timing belt last done and when were the spark plugs last changed? Two costly but vital pieces of servicing.

when i bought the car the gave me a list of items they had worked on, that was in january last year that i bough it. they did the "wishbone" i think its called too.

Then say in the add the the timing belt, wishbones, etc... were done at whatever mileage you bought it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Also, when was the timing belt last done and when were the spark plugs last changed? Two costly but vital pieces of servicing.

Spark Plugs costly? On my Saab the OEM NGK ones costed 4 quids each, and took less than 10 mins to replace. Is it different for Alfas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Spark Plugs costly? On my Saab the OEM NGK ones costed 4 quids each, and took less than 10 mins to replace. Is it different for Alfas?

There are two spark plugs per cylinder, but don't know if they are that much more expensive to begin with.

• Advertisement

MuffinsDa wrote: »

NGK Platinum plugs and there's 8 of them as Eoin said. They're pricey but they're long life, 60k miles.

i have some time off next week, so on monday i'll bring it down for some1 to take a look off.

Seems very little interest in alfa's. I only get ppl emailing from abroad on the website adverts, which im wary of trusting when they cant see the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

forget about all those emails you are getting from abroad.
    If someone is interested, they will call you

I think you might struggle to get 3995 for it.

I have just sold a '00 156 with same mileage as yours, however, mine has the full sport pack 3 kit with leather interior, 1 owner from new with all the belts, water pump recently done, full service book of stamps with receipts to back up everything. I also had the NCT done so it was good for 2 years and it had 400 euro of tax on it. It sold for 4400 within a week. I had 2 serious contenders that both wanted the car but one got there before the other.

I hope at your mileage the plugs have been done and you have documentation to back it up as it will cost over €300 to replace them plus labour. Also to get the timing belt done on your 2litre, you are looking at about €600 from TI Autos.
    Also, hows your suspension looking & sounding? Again, another pitfall in the 156 if not kept up to scratch and ammo for a buyer to knock more off

im not a mechanic so i dont hear much noise, maybe a slight squeek on some of the rough ramps in my area, but i can get a mechanic to look at it monday, i'll try getting the NCT done on it then in the next week or 2. if i could get that done it gives a little more security for some1 buying it. i have the report from the garage i bought it off in the car with all they have done, and any paperwork they had from before, so there is some if not all the service work history.

anyone know someone thats particulary good with alfa's that might take a look at it for me?

anyone know a way of getting an NCT quickly?

just got a booking for the NCT in Kells on Monday, so i can head there, get the NCT done, then if it needs some work, i can get a mechanic to do all those things asap.

paddybryan wrote: »

anyone know someone thats particulary good with alfa's that might take a look at it for me?

Yeah, but not near Kells. A lot of Alfa owners here will recommend Gerry in TI autos. Never been to him myself, but he had a great rep, but you need to book early. I used Alasta Autos (now a full Alfa dealer again) as they were down the road from my old office, and found them good - if a little dear.

it doesnt need to be near kells, i just got a place there for the NCT as i asked for something very soon and they gave me monday at 2.50 in kells so accepted that.

where is TI Autos?

paddybryan wrote: »
    it doesnt need to be near kells, i just got a place there for the NCT as i asked for something very soon and they gave me monday at 2.50 in kells so accepted that.

where is TI Autos?
    Going by the first google result:

Gerry Campbell, TI autos, Cowper street, Dublin 01 8386567

cheers,

i'll see how the NCT goes on monday, and then i'll get Gerry to have a look if i need him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

so.. did it pass the NCT? Can I ask when you're heading away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ShayK1 wrote: »
    so.. did it pass the NCT?

+1

failed the NCT on the following,

Dim lights too high,
    Rear brake light,
    Registration Lighting,
    Front Drivers side window wiper spray,
    Rear suspension brush worn,
    And Tyres

Got an estimate from my mechanic for everything bar tyres of €250 maximum, mainly cos of labour on it.

Rang around and have an offer of tyres for €220 from Cassidys in Nobber.

Have a tentitave offer of €3000 for car without doing the work.

If you can make that a firm offer of €3k, take it rather than spending €470 in the hope of coming out with an extra €200 or €300, especially when you're travelling soon.

yeah im hoping to firm up that offer, cos it would suit me to just get the cash from the car. im away next monday for the week and then back friday but i head off then the following monday semi-permanently so i'd be hoping to sell it on before the 17th.

Advertisement