Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting eircoms attention by petition

Options
  • 27-02-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭

the local area where i live has done a petition about getting eircom to upgrade the exchange

a local T.D. is helping the area in getting broadband

with thanks to him we've got 200 names on a petition with address and phone numbers

so no bogus signatures

200 names with more to come

and my local poliction is writting to eircom to ask them in the light of the level of interest shown in the petition, as well as economic and social factors, could they bring forward the proposed upgrade of the telephone lines.

so would 200 names and level of interest in my area get eircoms attention ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

the local area where i live has done a petition about getting eircom to upgrade the exchange

a local T.D. is helping the area in getting broadband

with thanks to him we've got 200 names on a petition with address and phone numbers

so no bogus signatures

200 names with more to come

and my local poliction is writting to eircom to ask them in the light of the level of interest shown in the petition, as well as economic and social factors, could they bring forward the proposed upgrade of the telephone lines.

so would 200 names and level of interest in my area get eircoms attention ???

No! you should wait like eveyone else. You have managed to live without it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

200 names is only relevant if 200 people can get broadband, if they can't (which I suspect) then eircom will ignore the petition on the basis of upgrading not making financial sense.

because they're a private company instead of state owned and run everything they do is based on commercial return, we're unlikely to ever see full broadband rollout as a result. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Do all 200 names have an phone line installed, yoru at nothing if they don;t,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my area isnt even on the list to be done anytime soon

and all the names have a phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd need about 1,500 names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its not going to hurt doing it, but any help that it will do toward getting your exchange upgraded will be very small if any.

Its not going to hurt doing it, but any help that it will do toward getting your exchange upgraded will be very small if any.

suppose it better than doing nothing

and 1,500 names wow:eek:

how many villages have 1,500 people

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's why the "trigger program" wasn't much good..
    My village the trigger level was more than number of households and only those on eircom account could sign "petition", i.e. if you where on CPS you couldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

once eircom hear a wireless operator has been promised 200 customers they will be there in jig time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That 1500 figure is now completely irrelevant. There are exchanges which have as few as 500 lines connected which have been enabled for over a year.

I think the current management of eircom will take an interest, but with talk of a National Broadband Scheme, why would eircom pay for something which the government is going to provide in the next 2 years anyway?

Dominic Hannigan of Labour got the exchange of Stamullen enabled with a similar campaign, so you might want to get in touch with him about that (assuming your T.D. isn't Labour).

Sponge Bob's point is also pretty relevant. A wireless operator, as well as providing broadband to most in the area, will get eircom's notice. But is your area the sort of area where people take a panic attack at anything resembling GSM towers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    once eircom hear a wireless operator has been promised 200 customers they will be there in jig time :p

Have to agree with this, eircom were very quick to unbundle the exchange in my home town when a wireless provider starting offering services and got a fair amount of customers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cabaal wrote: »
    Have to agree with this, eircom were very quick to unbundle the exchange in my home town when a wireless provider starting offering services and got a fair amount of customers

[pedantry] eircom do not unbundle their own exchanges rather do they enable them [/pedantry]

but the clear and present danger of losing juicy line rentals + €20 a month wholesale dsl cost guaranteed ( total €40 x 200 in this case) does tend to focus their minds.

we cant get wireless in my area because my village is like its in a valley
    it's very low down

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

If it wasnt so sad it would be funny, ppl begging a private company... Here is our money, come and we will pay you, you dont even have to advertise, We want it please...

I think the way it works in Ireland is you need to give a Politican a 'Dig out' and then something will get done...

Pity we dont have a Chavez here to nationalise that copper again....

Advertisement