Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Licence Farce !

Options
  • 27-02-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

A friend of mine went to the barracks yesterday to apply for a licence on a single barrel shotgun.He had all his paperwork filled out ready to go .
    He owns a good bit of land around here and put his own name on the permission slips that accompanied his application.
    He arrives at the station ,hands in the whole lot and low and behold he is shot down at the first hurdle .
    The garda on duty told him he can't use his own name on permission slips even though he owns in the region of 120 acres but it's ok for him to give permission to others to use the land .:confused::confused:
    So how about that for a load of bull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Shocking:(, there appears to be a misunderstanding ask to speak to the seargent in charge. He tends to be the guy who looks after licensing and he forwards it to the Superintendent

Straight from the NARGC pamphlet:
    3. Can a Garda at the front desk in the Garda Station refuse to accept my application?
    The answer to this question is a definite NO! The Garda receiving your application has no function or authority other than to facilitate your application and pass it on to the Superintendent for decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 expressway

foxhunter wrote: »
    A friend of mine went to the barracks yesterday to apply for a licence on a single barrel shotgun.He had all his paperwork filled out ready to go .
    He owns a good bit of land around here and put his own name on the permission slips that accompanied his application.
    He arrives at the station ,hands in the whole lot and low and behold he is shot down at the first hurdle .
    The garda on duty told him he can't use his own name on permission slips even though he owns in the region of 120 acres but it's ok for him to give permission to others to use the land .:confused::confused:
    So how about that for a load of bull.

Hmmm...

What's he interested in using the gun for?

If it's just for using on his own land he could have ticked the "limited" box I think.

Not an expert on this by the way, just applied for my license on Monday and the Garda (very helpful) explained the intricacies of the different sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Could it just be a case of the Guard not believing your friend owned the land?
    Your friend could go back and reapply and include a letter from the land registry office stating he is the owner of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's a new one allright. You have to laugh sometimes, you really do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Could it just be a case of the Guard not believing your friend owned the land?
    Your friend could go back and reapply and include a letter from the land registry office stating he is the owner of the land.

This guy is a well known buisness man in the area and he already holds a couple of certs .I think the garda just didn't want the hassle of processing the application.
    The local FO has recently retired and this may be the beginning of things to come i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Ah right, well hopefully he'll get the license through eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

when he goes for in he should bring in his folio numbers for his lands,its the quickest way to get it done,and he doesnt have to write any permission slips,because all it take is one phone call from whoever is processing it to duchas and it proves its his ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

I know a farmer that also had same problem had to get written permissions
    off his neighbours(got the cert in the end)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For what it's worth a lot of gun clubs/game associations give free membership to farmers who hunt and allow their land to be hunted on. They just pay the insurance go to the local committee and get a membership card jobs done then. Proof of land bank and more importantly insurance cover:)

Advertisement