Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a generator

• 27-02-2008 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just a quick question for you. I'm looking to rent a generator for a few days to run some battery chargers. Now I know nothing about generators so I'm looking for something idiot proof.

The chargers are for battery packs similar to the ones you would find in Radio control cars and planes etc. They take 110V in, use a standard household plug and I'd need to run about 4 of them.

Does anyone have idea of the kind of generators I should be looking at maybe a make or model?

Cheers N.O.I.P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

You should avoid using a generator to charge batteries as far as i can remember they can damage the battery cells (open to correction) but try any local plant hire shop they usually have a good selection and explain what you need it for maybe with some of the larger generators this might not be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Cheers man thats probably what I'll do. Just have to find one local to me. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

NOIP,

I have a 2 good generators and would definitely not charge anything from them, never mind running anything expensive /sensitive. As MOOSE112 said, you run the risk of damaging the battery and charger. You would need to get a generator that can supply a (relatively) pure sine wave which I'd image in expensive. I tried charging a cordless drill battery a while ago off it and it broke the charger & battery. Had to buy a new drill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yep stay away, they destroy the batteries in exit signs etc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Well that may have scuppered my plans :D Thanks again for the advice lads

*Goes off to look at solar panels*

• Advertisement
Advertisement