Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want to install a trailer hitch to my VW Polo for small trailer

Options
  • 27-02-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Do I need to do any certificates, additional NCT or anything else?
    Does anyone know where can I go with my request (any garage in Dublin)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A few things to do;

Tell your insurer your going to fit a hitch.
    Get a licence to cover you to tow.
    get a hitch fitted and drive on.

co's like towfit will fit it in your driveway or wherever.
    see http://www.miw.ie/Tow-Fit/Fitting_Service/Fitting_Service.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A few things to do;

Tell your insurer your going to fit a hitch.
    Get a licence to cover you to tow.
    get a hitch fitted and drive on.

co's like towfit will fit it in your driveway or wherever.
    see http://www.miw.ie/Tow-Fit/Fitting_Service/Fitting_Service.html

They do tend to prefer a covered area for fitting, just in case it's pi$$ing it down. Need access to a power point as well.

If you are around Dublin then Towing Equipment (01 456 6780) or Malcolms (01 497 5713) will do mobile, or probably on site with them if you don't have cover. Towing equipment will probably be cheaper as they manufacture their own bars, Towing Equipment use Brinks bars and Malcolms use Witter so would be of higher quality - but probably not important if it's occasional use for a small trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

R.O.R wrote: »
    They do tend to prefer a covered area for fitting, just in case it's pi$$ing it down. Need access to a power point as well.

If you are around Dublin then Towing Equipment (01 456 6780) or Malcolms (01 497 5713) will do mobile

I'll second both of the above suggestions - both are good, but I've preference for Towing Equipment - I find them easier to deal with but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Thank you all for your help, I'll ring Towing Equipement this week, hope they're open on Saturdays.

But now I have another question:

I need to buy a small trailer (for 2 motorcycles), do I need to register it? If not what reg plates should be fit to this trailer? (motorcycles are not registered). What about lights etc? Should I also make electrical connection to the trailer?

I really appreciate your help!

Marcin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

zreba wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help, I'll ring Towing Equipement this week, hope they're open on Saturdays.

I need to buy a small trailer (for 2 motorcycles), do I need to register it? If not what reg plates should be fit to this trailer? (motorcycles are not registered). What about lights etc? Should I also make electrical connection to the trailer?

Marcin
    The tow hitch should come with an electrical socket and it should display the registration of the towing vehicle.

If the gross weight of the trailer is more than 750kgs, you will be legally obliged to have an EB licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Marcin

Get a copy of the number plate from your car for the trailer. The tow hitch fitters should also fit an electrical connector for trailer lights. You can get a trailer with lights built in or you can buy a seperate light board which you attach yourself.

all right, thanks,
    anyone knows where can I get a copy of my car's reg plate for a trailer?

all right, thanks,
    anyone knows where can I get a copy of my car's reg plate for a trailer?
    Most motor factors do them.

Just another important matter - if you have a category B Provisional Licence/Learner Permit, you are not legally permitted to tow a trailer. Hopefully it doesn't apply to you.

I have Cat B Full License, so I can drive with trailer up to 750kg as far as I'm aware.

If I want to carry motorcycles which are not insured/registered, does my car insurance cover my trailer with them? (i mean third party cover)

Thanks again for all your replies!

Marcin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I have Cat B Full License, so I can drive with trailer up to 750kg as far as I'm aware.

If I want to carry motorcycles which are not insured/registered, does my car insurance cover my trailer with them? (i mean third party cover)

Thanks again for all your replies!

Marcin

I'm not sure about this but I think if you're just carrying the bike in the trailer, it's just treated as cargo. That would mean that 3rd party wouldn't cover it as 'another road vehicle' in the event of an accident.

Get in touch with your insurance company to say you will be towing and they can tell you if you're covered in the event of your trailer hitting another vehicle. It shouldn't matter what's in the trailer as long as it's properly secured and does not bring you over any weight limits.

Advertisement