Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOL Catpicks

Options
  • 27-02-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Okay here we go. Im dying to see how the voting will turn out on this!!!! Paddy Power isnt taking anymore bets on the fact that this will end in an arguement :p

Do you feel Catpics should be banned on this forum? 189 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    22% 43 votes
    mmmm... Maybe
    77% 146 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm gonna vote no. I don't see the problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

cool. I actually hope this one stays civilised. anyone taking bets on how many pics will actually end up on this thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Catpics banned, no. Banning them would be pointless, as they will just be replaced with another meme much as the boards.ie Gathering cards were in the past.

Abusers of catpics, yes. Muppets deserve to go bye-bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

stevoman wrote: »
    cool. I actually hope this one stays civilised. anyone taking bets on how many pics will actually end up on this thread???

catpics? As in photos of Cats, or am I totally lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've said it before, just disable image tags. It's not like images are used in this forum anyway (besides from cats).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

While I have nothing against the poll I think the issue is more to do where 1 non-constructive post leads to another and another without a clear indication from staff that this doesn't help the OP resolve their issue as opposed to lolcats which if banned would

a) be replaced by something else
    b) result in feedback threads about mods restricting members "freedom to speech" etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

funny-pictures-farting-kitten.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they should only be used in the right context, like yore ma in after hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Catpics ftw. What would this forum be without them :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Everything in moderation. If they are used in threads the odd time (as long as they don't derail the thread) or when an issue has been resolved then what's the harm? If they do de-rail a thread though someone should get a slap.

One question stevoman. What's the difference between an "internet, serious business "picture (I know it's not a lolcat but bear with me) and some one just typing "Internet, serious business"? Bar of course one is an image where as the other is some text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

IMO, lolcats should only be used once the thread has decended into chaos and it is clear that there will be no constructive outcome. While this will always be subjective there is usually a time when it is clear that no more sense is to be had from the thread. Then it's lolcats all the way and I see no harm in it.

I don't like seeing people deliberately go out of their way to post lolcats when a thread is still making sense and debate is still strong but reasoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everything in moderation. If they are used in threads the odd time (as long as they don't derail the thread) or when an issue has been resolved then what's the harm? If they do de-rail a thread though someone should get a slap.

One question stevoman. What's the difference between an "internet, serious business "picture (I know it's not a lolcat but bear with me) and some one just typing "Internet, serious business"? Bar of course one is an image where as the other is some text.

It's like:

- Omg, that's a ridiculous statement;

or

- ZOMG - I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT. MOST RIDICULOUS STATEMENT EVAR!!!!!!!??????

Same message. Very different delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Progen wrote: »
    catpics? As in photos of Cats, or am I totally lost?

no you'v hit the nail on the head mate

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

We would have to get creative. We could draw pics of humans dressed up as cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can see dog fail pics being the next big thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Beruthiel wrote: »
    We would have to get creative. We could draw pics of humans dressed up as cats?

350px-MichellePfeifferCatwoman.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's like:

- Omg, that's a ridiculous statement;

or

- ZOMG - I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT. MOST RIDICULOUS STATEMENT EVAR!!!!!!!??????

Same message. Very different delivery.

They're both off topic and not very useful but at least lolcats are somewhat funny. I haven't got a problem with the odd bit of off topic nonsense as long as it doesn't derail a whole thread. When it does derail a whole thread that is when bannings or on thread warnings should get handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

They're both off topic and not very useful but at least lolcats are somewhat funny. I haven't got a problem with the odd bit of off topic nonsense as long as it doesn't derail a whole thread. When it does derail a whole thread that is when bannings or on thread warnings should get handed out.
    ;)

Sounds a bit like "I dont have a problem with speeding as long as it doesnt cause an accident, but when it does cause an accident then I have a problem with it and the driver should be fined/banned from driving". ;)

Love your logic, you funny funny man ...

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    ;)

Sounds a bit like "I dont have a problem with speeding as long as it doesnt cause an accident, but when it does cause an accident then I have a problem with it and the driver should be fined/banned from driving". ;)

Love your logic, you funny funny man ...
    Last time I checked posting off topic doesn't kill people. If it did then you may have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Last time I checked posting off topic doesn't kill people. If it did then you may have a point.
    Rarely kills threads either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

somebody please think of the cats!!!
    life is so hard for them
    778430596_7faa1f44dd_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I didnt mention killing people anywhere. If I did then you might have a point ...

And posting off topic might kill people. If it was a very dangerous post or something ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

thought this was going to be a good thread - not disappointed. Keep the cats

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I didnt mention killing people anywhere. If I did then you might have a point ...

And posting off topic might kill people. If it was a very dangerous post or something ... :D

Fine I'll rephrase. Posting off topic doesn't cause accidents that can kill or severely injure people. You could also view posting off topic like fast food. If you eat the odd bit of fat food (or a forum gets the odd bit of off topic nonsense) then no harm done. It's not healthy for you but it tastes good (just like how posting off topic isn't constructive but can be funny). If you eat fast food the whole time though your health suffers and then you should cut back (in the case of the forum ban the person who is constantly posting off topic as they are causing a problem).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If we could limit people to one post a day on feedback it would be great :)
    Think about it...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Think about it...

DeV.

I must have posted about a hundred times on feedback today so it may be an idea. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DeVore wrote: »
    Think about it...

DeV.

Yeah ! You can open as many threads as you like but one post per day in other people's threads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

There harmless.

Anyone who gets really worked up about a picutre of a cat with a tagline should be thankful thats all they to worry about.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't mind the pics myself, if they are new and fresh.
    I hate seeing the same old ones time after time.

Also don't make them too big, there are still people on here without decent broadband.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    I hate seeing the same old ones time after time.

True but I do have to admit, I do love that internet, serious business picture. It always cracks me up.

Advertisement