Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOL Catpicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you could restrict posting by postcount though that might prove remotely helpful. After all there is always the help desk: being judged by your peers or making meaningful suggestions in feedback feels more like something earned through experience and time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sherifu wrote: »

THAT BASTARD

see? lack of img works.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gordon wrote: »
    I don't think that would make any difference on Feedback tbh, the people that enjoy spamming lolcats do it for fun, not post count.
    Kind of agree with you on that, Gordon, but a -5 postcount for every post in Feedback might discourage a few people from posts such as:

:rolleyes:

or even ...

"your (sic) wrong"

Certainly wouldn't solve everything, but might contribute to improving the signal: noise ratio.

Mind you, I've posted far too often in Feedback myself this evening, so ...

/wanders off

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There are people that are helpful that also like their postcount though, this plan could make them think twice about popping in a quick "try pming the moderator" post, or a more informative one too.

In essence we will be charging people to post on feedback (kinda) and this is one forum where transparency is desired a great deal. To be fair to someone we have to be fair to all people. Charging people to post will remove some people's desire to post, that's all, whether or not they are helpful; who knows - coz they won't be posting for you to find out.

• Advertisement

if you want to put a label on it like charging you may as well leave it a subscribers and above forum -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are people that are helpful that also like their postcount though, this plan could make them think twice about popping in a quick "try pming the moderator" post, or a more informative one too.

In essence we will be charging people to post on feedback (kinda) and this is one forum where transparency is desired a great deal. To be fair to someone we have to be fair to all people. Charging people to post will remove some people's desire to post, that's all, whether or not they are helpful; who knows - coz they won't be posting for you to find out.
    Fair enough.
    Overheal wrote: »
    if you want to put a label on it like charging you may as well leave it a subscribers and above forum -_-
    I do realise you're not actually advocating that, but God no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pretty sure the same threads were rolled out about Gathering cards back in the day..history repeating and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I like them the first time.....not the eight or ninth time. Some of the same ones keep getting posted and they're f*cking massive as well. Resize people ffs!

They are funny but seriously overused. Maybe just tone it down. Keep the 'serious business' ones though. They're quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

BossArky wrote: »
    51823.jpg

spaceball.gif
    bahahahahaha brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i think this represents feedback quite well

blitz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ziggy wrote: »
    They are generally used when aggrieved posters use this forum to post poorly thought out crap, eg, "I want to be a mod", "Why was I banned?", "[Name of Mod] is a Nazi", "Where's my freedom of speach (sic)?", etc.

Well thought-out posts in Feedback generally don't get the lolcat treatment. There'll may be a couple thrown in to a serious thread from time to time, but it is not like every thread is peppered with them.

That said, there are a few posters who maybe see this place as a high-brow After Hours & lash in sarky comments for the hell of it. (I've been guilty of those type of posts myself in the past.) I'd see that as a more pressing issue to be addressed.

But, let's not ban the lolcats just yet. We'd just be left with...

invisibl-lolcat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

funnypicturespiratekittxq3.jpg

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

We do have a lol cat thread in AH. I thought there and here were the only places you were really allowed to post them...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I dont think this is as simple as just saying "should we ban lolcats". The poll may have been more useful if it was entitled "should the use of lolcats be more strictly moderated in feedback" or something like that. My opinion is they absolutely should, and I voted to ban them.

Many people above have argued that they do no real harm and can be useful in a thread ... hard to argue with that (and they can be sorta funny sometimes). The problem is when they are used in a fairly serious thread as a means of derailing the thread or showing extreme disrespect to the OP. I realise that people are arguing this does not happen, but have a look at a few examples from tallaght01 below (from another feedback thread) ... its difficult to argue that the cats can be tolerated in any of the cases he points out. People are also arguing that lolcats are appropriate in "fite da powah" threads ... I disagree ... If the OP is a total tossjob just lock the thread ffs.

Ziggy says it much better that I ever could ...

Very well said!
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    They are generally used when aggrieved posters use this forum to post poorly thought out crap, eg, "I want to be a mod", "Why was I banned?", "[Name of Mod] is a Nazi", "Where's my freedom of speach (sic)?", etc.

Well thought-out posts in Feedback generally don't get the lolcat treatment. There'll may be a couple thrown in to a serious thread from time to time, but it is not like every thread is peppered with them.

That said, there are a few posters who maybe see this place as a high-brow After Hours & lash in sarky comments for the hell of it. (I've been guilty of those type of posts myself in the past.) I'd see that as a more pressing issue to be addressed.

Dude, with the greatest respect there are a lot of serious threads that get the lolcat treatment. I dont think anyone is saying that "every" thread is peppered with lolcats, but have a look at the post from Tallaght01 below giving a few examples of what can happen when the cats arrive.
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    I've just had a quick look through the first 3 or 4 pages in feedback and this is what I've found. There were a couple of threads about bannings that got sorted (eg haney's, in fitness), but there were a few that weren't. Or, in those that did get sorted, the OP had to endure a lot of hassle to get a resolution.

I'm not saying these peope were all unfairly banned. That woud be a whole different issue. The issue is whether or not people are getting a hard time for posting in feedback. I think they are, though I feel it's infinitely better than it was a few months ago, in fairness,

The first page of this one is embarrassing,a s I've said a few times:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242572

In the one below, you gave him some kind of feedback in the first few posts. Then it's left open for cat pics and abuse to continue. The OP has been called an idiot who can't read and a loser with no friends.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238441

cat pics all over the shop in this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236975

The next one is a total joke:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236191

Like I said, I'm not commenting on the bans themselves. Just commenting on the fact that the way peope are treated might put peope off.

But threads like the one involving hanley and g'em, and the one where Jules banned setantaL are a real step in the right direction.

Also interesting that a few people (including an Admin) claimed vigorously that this type of thing is not allowed to happen and asked for examples. When the examples were given no one has been willing/able to respond. Deafening silence.

I think the results of this poll are interesting. But I'd love to know if the results are a fair reflection of the (real?) arguments going on here ... I might be wrong but this poll is coming from two other fairly long threads currently ongoing in feedback. The argument is not really about lolcats ... its about respect for the poster in feedback and what the feedback forum is all about.

Some suggestions I'd make (based on posts in the other threads and my own opinion);
    1. Feedback should be moderated more tightly ... along the lines of PI ... with its own dedicated mods (someone called them "fmods" ... ) and the admins.
    2. The same level of respect should be given to the OP as in PI. If the OP is a tosser, lock the thread ... dont bring out the cats.
    3. Have a new "ban appeals" forum for, well, ban appeals. Access to this would be restricted to the person appealing the ban, relevant mod(s), and the admins. The person appealing should be entitled to a fair and swift hearing, and a fairly quick decision. No lenghty discussion, and the OP may feel he has been treated in a fairer manner than the current system where someone questions a ban and the whole thing turns into an entrenched, lolcat flinging mess.
    4. Keep "helpdesk" for those seeking technical help with the website.
    5. Ziggy's idea of a "lolcat" forum is a good one. This will allow the lolcat fans to keep the cats and have all the fun they want.

I know some of this has already been suggested and refuted, but what the hell ... might be good to have the "change feedback" suggestions summarised in one post.

Just my 2c really. As someone else said, I'm sorta tired of hitting the "quote" key and I dont want to enter a long debate or personal slagging match with anyone, so I'm done on this.

Whatever changes are (or are not) to be made will now be made (or not) in the shining light of this debate. Whatever happens the world will still go on.

Peace.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    have a look at the post from Tallaght01 below giving a few examples of what can happen when the cats arrive.

Also interesting that a few people (including an Admin) claimed vigorously that this type of thing is not allowed to happen and asked for examples. When the examples were given no one has been willing/able to respond. Deafening silence.
    Now I know you're taking the piss.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55243166&postcount=94

No I'm not taking the piss. There are a good few people here who think there are problems with feedback. All I'm doing is making suggestions as to how it can potentially be improved.

Thats the problem with giving specific examples of threads ... they can always be picked apart and used to argue the opposing point of view. And to be fair to my point you quoted above, an Admin asked me directly for examples to support my case and didnt reply when I gave said examples.

Maybe a new poll should be started ... :rolleyes:
    Because this one isn't going the way you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

The reasoning behind this is the fact that people tend to spam to up their postcount, hence stopping the postcount from rising every time you post will curb the spam enthusiasm.

I don't think that would make any difference on Feedback tbh, the people that enjoy spamming lolcats do it for fun, not post count. Like that snyper kid that posted completely off-topic cat pics and increased the noise part of the signal:noise ratio; he seemed to do it for attention. And thankfully he was banned from the forum.

lol Gordo. Very subtle :D

+1 Dev's idea.

Because this one isn't going the way you want?

No, its going pretty much the way most people would have expected I'd say.

I dont feel the argument currently ongoing in feedback is reflected accurately by this current poll. But you know that dont you? Or you would know that if you had read my post carefully enough ...

/see what I mean about getting dragged into a personal point scoring match instead of a constructive debate? Sorry Sherifu, not interested ... over to you for the last word ... /

I dont feel the argument currently ongoing in feedback is reflected accurately by this current poll. But you know that dont you? Or you would know that if you had read my post carefully enough ...
    I stopped reading your post when it had inaccuracies which I posted about above. To which you didn't respond.

I stopped reading your post when it had inaccuracies which I posted about above. To which you didn't respond.

Yeah, sorta frustrating and rude when someone doesn't respond is'nt it? ;)

/ ... sorry could'nt resist one last one ... really that was my last response ... now over to sherifu to get the last word so he can be the big man around here ... /

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

No, its going pretty much the way most people would have expected I'd say.
    /

funny-pictures-civil-disobedience-cat.jpg

ps also
    atarijaguar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dude, with the greatest respect there are a lot of serious threads that get the lolcat treatment. I dont think anyone is saying that "every" thread is peppered with lolcats, but have a look at the post from Tallaght01 below giving a few examples of what can happen when the cats arrive.
    Agreed, there is too much lolcat'ing of serious Feedback threads. Also, I wasn't suggesting that every thread was peppered with them - that was actually my point.

Simply put, I think that Feedback would work a better if all posters (OPs & respondees) showed a bit more respect for each other.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Agreed, there is too much lolcat'ing of serious Feedback threads. Also, I wasn't suggesting that every thread was peppered with them - that was actually my point.

Simply put, I think that Feedback would work a better if all posters (OPs & respondees) showed a bit more respect for each other.
    I agree with you, they had got a little out of hand. Then there was a banning reminding everyone to play nice. Feedback does get a little heated at times and there is a lack of respect. I do however think that blaming the pics for that isn't the answer. They aren't the cause, just a symptom. Most posters know when to post and when not to post. The two most recent examples being:

Lolcats posted

Lolcats not posted

Notice the way the case is presented in each thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

yeah,and the examples he gave werent great and then he wouldnt back up why he thought they were good examples of a good thread being unfairly attacked (because he was tired of hitting the quote button)

as Sherifu said, it depends how the poster acts (whether they are polite or rude etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't see any justification for that, imo the poster should be infracted and/or banned for it.

Best thing to do with that would have been to report the post and an Admin may get to it and deal with it in due course.

Also he should be banned for having a really unfunny lolcat that is blatantly photoshopped.

Advertisement