Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm finally buying a racer

• 27-02-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

From now on my hybrid is for commuting only.

Apparently I can get a some company discount at Cycle Superstore so I've had a look on their website. My budget is around €800-€900 so I'm thinking of getting this anybody have any recomendations or horror stories about the bike?

They also have this for less money. Is the more expensive one worth the extra cash?

If anybody knows of any better offers I'd look elsewhere but I'd rather go there because of the discount. I also would rather buy from a store since I'm not sure of my right size.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It would want to be a big discount.

Is this bike for training and racing on?

Both are entry level road bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah, for triathlon. I've been told (although haven't had it confirmed) that I can get about 15% off. So I could probably stretch to about 1,200 list price.

Unfortunately I can't afford to spend much more.

Would I be likely to get better value for money elsewhere?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Check out the BeOne range on www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk, the focus range on www.wiggle.co.uk and www.winstanleysbicycles.co.uk for good bikes and cheaper. Take a look at the components and wheels on each one. I think the components are in ascending order for shimano: 2200, sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, dura ace, the last two tending to be very expensive.

Try the cycling forum for more advice. There have been absolutely loads of threads on entry level road bikes since christmas:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240186
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239824
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055223595

Thanks a lot for the links.

I never realised there was quite so much money to be saved online. Looks like I'll probably spend my weekend trying out a few different frames and sizes and then buy the one I like online.

Thanks again for the advice lads.

I ended up getting a Giant SCR 1.5 from Cycle Super Store.

Couldn't find anything in my size and my budget on wiggle, nearly bought a BeOne Storm 1.0 on Chain Reaction and then bottled it when I realised I would have had to switch the brake levers around, I'll have to get the maintenance sussed out at some stage but didn't trust myself to set it up right first time out.

Took it out for a spin yesterday and loved it, can't wait for a proper long cycle at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement