Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunken Garden

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,
    I'm investigating creating a sunken garden at the back of my house.
    I would ideally like to also incorporate a small shed into the design.
    Basically trying to make a relatively small space bigger without looking into neighbour or vice versa.
    I can't seem to find any references to such an idea (maybe thats a sign!!!:D) but would welcome any help.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi
    First time trying to post to Boards but ill try :-) i love this site, gives me loads of ideas

http://www.kilgraney.com/Customers%20ideas,%20photos%20and%20projects.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi there,
    I'm investigating creating a sunken garden at the back of my house.
    I would ideally like to also incorporate a small shed into the design.
    Basically trying to make a relatively small space bigger without looking into neighbour or vice versa.
    I can't seem to find any references to such an idea (maybe thats a sign!!!:D) but would welcome any help.
    Many thanks.

Requires retention walls for longer term stability, better finish and blockwork can be clad with natural stone for a more aesthetic finish. Railway sleepers would be resemble a cow pen IMO. Another aspect to consider is installing a system for taking surface water away, again straightforward, an dth eonly logistics to be really considered are access for mechanical digger to do the additional excavation work. On design side do not underestimate the spoace requirements otherwise you run risk of being 'too enclosed'. Site aspects, if there are mnearby deciduous trees, sunken terrace/patio can quickly resemble a litter pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

In the Dec / Jan issue of Diarmuid Gavin's garden designs magazine, their was a sunken seating area feature showing step by step photos. OK it was a big space, but it could give you a few ideas, it had mass concrete walls clad in stone.

Good link gaz wac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Happy Chappy

Requires retention walls for longer term stability, better finish and blockwork can be clad with natural stone for a more aesthetic finish. Railway sleepers would be resemble a cow pen IMO. Another aspect to consider is installing a system for taking surface water away, again straightforward, an dth eonly logistics to be really considered are access for mechanical digger to do the additional excavation work. On design side do not underestimate the spoace requirements otherwise you run risk of being 'too enclosed'. Site aspects, if there are mnearby deciduous trees, sunken terrace/patio can quickly resemble a litter pit.

Thanks for the feedback.
    You mention surface water and this was my primary concern.
    Just how easy is it to manage?
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Happy Chappy

gaz wac wrote: »
    Hi
    First time trying to post to Boards but ill try :-) i love this site, gives me loads of ideas

http://www.kilgraney.com/Customers%20ideas,%20photos%20and%20projects.htm

Hi Gaz Wac,
    I've just spent the last hour trawling through this site.
    Really great help.
    This is defintely one for sharing.
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi Happy Chappy,

Glad to help :D it sounds like your doing this yourself but if you need a landscaper let me know, i just got my garden done and i swear he was brill !! Timekeeping, keeping the place clean, doing excatly what i wanted and for the cost I wanted to spend, he ticked all the boxes! I did ALOT of research beforhand and he came out tops! (attaching a few pix but i dont know how to do it :()

cid:Yx3hTREAVBcid:9YSP5SOxIrcid:Yx3hTREAVB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks for the feedback.
    You mention surface water and this was my primary concern.
    Just how easy is it to manage?
    Thanks again

Realtively straightforward, solution will depend on your view of surface water, ie drain to soak pit or divert to planted areas or harvest for later use.

You should also consider wall treatments otherwise you'll get that constant damp staining on walls which is unsightly. All you need do is place a DP membrane/tank retaining walls on inside.

Advertisement