Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short stories/ essays

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey
    Does anyone know any sites with short stories/essays??

www.fictionpress.com has loads but its hard to find "A standard" essays.

Anyone have any links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There are these buildings called libraries. You can find square heavy things called books which contain stories.

Plagiarism is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=382 you can post your essays in there and have them critiqued. Though theres is a conflict of interest between the keyboard and the biro: you'll want to do a lot of paper practice before june.

And yes: Plagarism is bad; highly illegal; and will result in expulsion from any educational body you are caught performing it in. So don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

fack!!!

What about if you use a sample short story a teacher gave you?

Did you write it? No.
    Did someone else write it? Yes.
    Are you pretending it's your own work? Yes.

Plagiarism.

........:eek: Suppose when ya put it like that!

It wasn't copied exactly word for word if that makes any difference!!? I did encorporate some of my own stuff into it! Modifying it if you will!;)

Still, hope i's not picked up on!! I'll try not to do it again Purple!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Did you write it? No.
    Did someone else write it? Yes.
    Are you pretending it's your own work? Yes.

Plagiarism.

"I got an A1 in English because I knew exactly what was required in each question. I learned off the sample answers provided by the examiners and I knew how much information was required and in what format in every section of the paper. That's how you do well in these exams."

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/parents.asp?id=3674

Plagiarism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Plagiarism is bad.

Inspiration/increasing vocabulary isn't

And as for getting thrown out.......Our teacher gives us sample essays for poetry and comparitive - he says if we can reproduce it OR rewrite or own version of it we will get an A.
    He had 6 A's last year and he's a prients so it can't be that bad!

If the examiner gets 10 answers that are exactly the same but of A standard, they all get A's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

eoghan h wrote: »

And as for getting thrown out.......Our teacher gives us sample essays for poetry and comparitive - he says if we can reproduce it OR rewrite or own version of it we will get an A.

If the examiner gets 10 answers that are exactly the same but of A standard, they all get A's

I agree.
    From the sounds of this thread, it would seem that even learning off theoroms in maths is considered plagiarism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Hey
    Does anyone know any sites with short stories/essays??

www.fictionpress.com has loads but its hard to find "A standard" essays.

Anyone have any links?

If you plan on getting an A in English, being able to write your own friggin' essays is probably a useful skill to have.

I mean that probably sounded really cúntish but ffs. :/

The Chief Examiner's reports have exemplars of standard. Look at them and you'll know what's required from an 'A' answer.

Then all you can do is read a lot and write a lot and hope to meet the neccessary standard by June.

If they were asking you to come up with your own proof for whatever conjecture, then yes, reproducing a theorem that someone else wrote would be plagiarism. However, that is not the case. They're asking you for something they know you haven't produced yourself, merely learned.
    "I got an A1 in English because I knew exactly what was required in each question. I learned off the sample answers provided by the examiners and I knew how much information was required and in what format in every section of the paper. That's how you do well in these exams."

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/parents.asp?id=3674

Plagiarism?
    Yup. In my personal opinion, anyone who learns off information given to them and reproduces it deserves to get a mediocre mark at best. However, as clearly demonstrated, that's not how the examination system works. People can get away with learning stuff off and be rewarded. Alas.
    Increasing your vocabulary is grand. Vague inspiration is also grand (it's impossible to say that what anyone writes is purely original, we are all influenced by things around us, some of which may be other literary works!). The problem is learning off a story which you didn't write, or have any input into. Where is the creativity there? Where is the ability to use English (the subject in which you are being examined, bizarrely enough!) to express ideas/scenarios/atmosphere?
    To me, giving your english class a sample essay (especially for poetry, how can someone else tell you what you think of a poem?) is bad teaching. Yes, it may get people good grades in the leaving cert, but there's more to education than getting a good grade in what is, very clearly, little more than a test of your memory.
    Perhaps. I'm not an examiner so I can't say for certain, but I'd like to hope that when it's clear what the student has written isn't their own work, something would be done. Maybe not. Even still, it would be easy for me to say, "punish these students terribly!" but if a teacher is telling their class that this is acceptable, I think the students should not suffer for taking such advice. (Though I'd like to think most people would realise that reproducing somebody else's answer for a personal response question is a dubious thing to do, I can't blame somebody for trusting in their teacher's words.)

Hm, that got a bit long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

the education system is clearly flawed......the teacher wants us to get the best grade possible...

As i said he's a priest so it can't be that immoral

I changed the poetry answer alot to suit my opinions of the poem so I don't think it's plagarism

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I had an idea for an essay awhile ago, basing it on the story in a song by Sonata Arctica.

Would this be plagerism, considering all the dialogue etc would be my own work?

Not that I plan on relying on this or anything, was just a thought :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

the education system is clearly flawed......the teacher wants us to get the best grade possible...
    The education system is flawed because getting it's possible to get the "best grade possible" (as your teacher is showing you to do) without having any true understanding/skill with the language. So you get a good grade, saying you're good at English, and you can't even write your own essay.
    That's of course, taking the worst case scenario of a person having absolutely no input at all in anything they write. I imagine the situation isn't that bad.

And, well, the line between plagiarism and inspiration is a bit of a fuzzy one. I mean, one could argue that there's only... so many (what is it, 7?) purely original stories, and that every other story is a variant of one of them, so it's impossible not to plagiarise in that way.
    I shouldn't really point it out as it's still a bit morally wrong, but if your story is just inspired (not a complete rip off or anything) by something obscure, there's a fair chance the examiner wont have any idea it might be plagiarism...

Though I'd look up this thread................................:cool:

I got an A1 in my English Exam;)

Advertisement