Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toneport UX2 for vocals

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I recently got a Toneport UX2, and have found it reasonably useful for guitars.

However I record vocals with it using an SM58 and there seems to be alot of room noise. I've eliminated as much outside noise as I can - I'm recording in a small room, and using blankets and such.

Is the Toneport just 'noisy'? I was under the impression I'd be able to get relatively professional-level sound out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

However I record vocals with it using an SM58 and there seems to be alot of room noise. I've eliminated as much outside noise as I can - I'm recording in a small room, and using blankets and such.

Is the Toneport just 'noisy'? I was under the impression I'd be able to get relatively professional-level sound out of it.

I'm not sure how good or bad the toneport is... maybe you could render a 5 second clip showing the noise and post it up to www.box.net so we can have a listen?

Make sure phantom power is switched off, although I don't think that'd make much of a difference. The quality of your mic cable is also a factor, and bear in mind that the while the 58 is a great mic it will not give you results as crystal clear as a good condenser mic.

Edit: some quick googling revealed this - it might be unrelated to your problem but its worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

How were you recording the guitars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Off the top of my head that sounds like the signal is going through some sort of guitar signal chain with either lots of compression of some sort of cabinet or room simulator on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

cornbb wrote: »
    I

Make sure phantom power is switched off, although I don't think that'd make much of a difference. The quality of your mic cable is also a factor,

Edit: some quick googling revealed this - it might be unrelated to your problem but its worth a read.

Phantom won't make any difference, it's OK for dynamic moving coil microphones, but it's good practice to leave it off unless you are using a mic that needs it. In case you plug in something else you shouldn't like a ribbon mic.
    A microphonic cable could also be the problem.

Advertisement