Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Baby Food price increase

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just noticed yesterday that a 900g tin of SMA gold baby formula had jumped from 10.35 to 12.85 in Tesco and that all other SMA and Cow and Gate etc. products had similarly large increases?

I queried this and the staff member said it was not a Tesco price increase but mandated by someone else (manufacturer, Government).

Anyone else noticed this in other supermarkets? it's been at about 10.35 for a few years now but still a 23% hike seems extortionate.

Thanks,

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Morkin wrote: »
    it's been at about 10.35 for a few years now but still a 23% hike seems extortionate.

M.

Tesco / Supermarkets seem to do this a lot. they take the inflationary cost hit a few years in a row, keeping the price static and then increase it in a jump.

Would you rather it had gone up ~5% a year for the last number of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Yeah, i buy it by the box (twins) glad their almost a year now!

Amazing jump imo. Still though, if they charged €30 a tin would we not still buy it? I couldint breast feed so no matter the cost you buy. Just one of those things.

Strange though the way they are all priced virtually the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

TBH I'd prefer a smaller annual rise esp. as children move off after a year or so.

So we reckon it's the supermarket putting up the price rather than any external source? Seems like a lot of extra work for them recording when prices last went up, what have been the incremental increases in the intervening periods and what to set the less frequent large jump to.

Anyone from any of the big supermarkets know?

Also baby formula hardly a luxury item and perhaps should be VAT reduced though such a request would probably prompt a tax on breast milk!

Thanks,

M.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Milk has increased in price a lot in the last year which would drive the price. The increase on milk in turn is based on higher cost for feeding material for cows as many farmers converted to biofuels which reduced the available material and area for the cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Morkin wrote: »
    TBH I'd prefer a smaller annual rise esp. as children move off after a year or so.

So we reckon it's the supermarket putting up the price rather than any external source? Seems like a lot of extra work for them recording when prices last went up, what have been the incremental increases in the intervening periods and what to set the less frequent large jump to.

Anyone from any of the big supermarkets know?

Also baby formula hardly a luxury item and perhaps should be VAT reduced though such a request would probably prompt a tax on breast milk!

Thanks,

M.

There is no VAT on Baby Milk/Food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

Thanks Musha - so the increase is either the supermarket or producer or both I guess. Same difference I guess.

Anyone care to remind me again why I stay in Ireland?

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

why do you live in ireland? well from what i hear....

in poland you earn about €10 a week

in holland, you pay 42% tax on everything you earn, you have to insure your kids

in australia you will look older then your parents after a few years (unless the come with you)

in america you have to listen to americans

I think every where has their own unique bad points, the people who come back from a years working abroad only tell about the good things to show off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nody wrote: »
    Milk has increased in price a lot in the last year which would drive the price. The increase on milk in turn is based on higher cost for feeding material for cows as many farmers converted to biofuels which reduced the available material and area for the cows.

Milk, and most other foods also. You will really start to see price increases over the course of this year on most food items as supermarkets start to pass on the increase costs.

Advertisement