Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebar tape, any tips?

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Well, the new bike arrived today. It looks feckin nice :)

I got it delivered to work, and have to head out this evening, so I'll get it up and running tomorrow. The bars came untaped- just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of as I tape them. Doing this for the first time, and I've had a look online at how to do it, and am picking up the Zinn book on the way home, but there's nothing like the experience of people who've tried it and cocked up to point out things to avoid :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I put some new tape on my bars the other week. It's easy enough. If you have another bike to reference then that is handy. Make sure to leave enough overlap at the bottom so you can tuck it into the hole. I haven't quite mastered that bit yet. Remember to wrap in the right direction. I can't remember exactly which way I did it. Keep it nice and tight. I had a couple of attempts with mine before I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Buy tape that's not adhesive, then you can mess it up as many times as you like till you get used to it -that's what I found helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I put on the Specialized bar phat tape (or whatever it's called). It has an adhesive strip running down the middle of the length of the tape so I was able to peal it off a few times with out damaging anything :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's one of those things that gets easier once you've done it a few times. Getting it around the shifters neatly is the only tricky bit. I found watching someone else do it was the best way to learn, diagrams never seemed to explain it as well. This girl's video is a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Cheers all- good idea on the few trial runs first. The tape that came with the bike isn't adhesive, so I'll try it a few times with that. I'll also check out the vid, definitely easier to grasp when you see someone do it for real.

Popped the bars and saddle on this morning before work. Just need to stick on the front wheel and pedals and inflate the tyres and she's ready for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Advertisement