Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 Saloon Focus

Options
  • 27-02-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Anyone own one of these?

Thinking of purchasing a 06 model. Just not sure if the engine is too small especially for petrol consumption. Is the car too big (weight wise) for a 1.4 engine. Basically what i mean is will it consume more petrol pulling the car?

I can go 1.6 no problem but the car i like happens to be a 1.4.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Too small. I drove a car recently with similar 0-100 km/h times to the 1.4 Focus and it even feels slow at 50 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Drove a hatchback 1.4 focus a few times last year and they are really underpowered. Saloon is a bit larger so I presume even worse.

You'll be working the engine so hard that fuel consumption will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭scanner

I had an '06 Focus 1.4saloon, extremely sluggish i changed it to a 1.6 '07 model ,the difference is amazing even though it is only .2 bigger. the 1.6 is the way to go - excellent car

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

will forget aout the 1.4 saloon then..tanx guys

looking at the following now:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/LX/915947/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

1.6 diesel was fine. Had a hire one for a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

steps_3314 wrote: »
    will forget aout the 1.4 saloon then..tanx guys

looking at the following now:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/LX/915947/

Try and find a 1.6 Ghia or Titanium model. They have 115bhp and use variable valve timing. LX and Zetec 1.6 litre petrols are ok but only have 100bhp which is not great these days.

Also the LX model in your link above has pretty basic standard equipment. I would be aiming for at least the Zetec with the Connection Pack which has nice toys such as climate controlled air conditioning and keyless entry. LX models are not very desirable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

bazz26 wrote: »
    Try and find a 1.6 Ghia or Titanium model. They have 115bhp and use variable valve timing. LX and Zetec 1.6 litre petrols are ok but only have 100bhp which is not great these days.

Also the LX model in your link above has pretty basic standard equipment. I would be aiming for at least the Zetec with the Connection Pack which has nice toys such as climate controlled air conditioning and keyless entry. LX models are not very desirable either.

Oh rite, now the guy we usually deal with at this garage says that this LX has a few other features than the normal LX wouldnt have like fog lights. I dont really mind it not havin climate controlled AC or keyless entry. But in saying that if we can get a better car for the same price i will look.

The only thing is were trading in our own focus and tbh the garage is giving us more than the other garages we have went to for our car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Oh rite, now the guy we usually deal with at this garage says that this LX has a few other features than the normal LX wouldnt have like fog lights. I dont really mind it not havin climate controlled AC or keyless entry. But in saying that if we can get a better car for the same price i will look.

The only thing is were trading in our own focus and tbh the garage is giving us more than the other garages we have went to for our car.

That one looks like the LX with possibly the Conneciton pack. I would still try and hold out for the Zetec though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    That one looks like the LX with possibly the Conneciton pack. I would still try and hold out for the Zetec though.

Think that is actuall the LX pack - was Alloys & Fogs for about €350. Makes a big difference to the looks of the car, but no difference to the specification (still no A/C).

Driven 1.6 Focus's a few times as hire cars and they are OK. Still not going to blow you mind but more than enough to keep up with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

1.8TD is very very fast!

Very enjoyable drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Drove one for 2 weeks when on overtime for a rural station.

Hated it, had to work the engine very hard, no power or flexibility in the engine.

For €16,000, I'd go for a 2.0i Mondeo Ghia if possible. 1000x more enjoyable to drive.

You can get this wagon for €16,300, lovely diesel, great car to drive. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/TDCI-Ghia/886457/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭scanner

although the mondeo is a nice car i wouldnt touch it, that model ( barring the odd facelift )has been out since 2001 and it is far too dated compared to the new model and will depreciate very poorly over the next couple of years

Advertisement