Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car taxing in Derry...

• 27-02-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have recently moved from Dublin to Derry and have switched my quinn insurance on my car from south to north. How do i now tax my car up here? Online if possible but i cant find anything on dvani.gov.uk.

Any info appreciated!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is your car still ROI regged? Or is it a NI car?
    NI http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514
    ROI, as per usual, just pop down over the border (I would think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Its still dublin registered, so i still tax it down south even though i do live in the north and am insured from the north?
    biko wrote: »
    Is your car still ROI regged? Or is it a NI car?
    NI http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514
    ROI, as per usual, just pop down over the border (I would think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's a tricky one. If you went over to England I'd say you'd have to re-register car to UK plates and all but NI is a halfway house so to speak.
    Try Motor forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

/edit
    Doh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Not sure if you have got sorted by now but if not heres some info.

To reg your car in NI is not as easy as it seems. You must get a certificate from a main dealer or the manufacturer Its a certificate of conformity and usually will cost you. You then must get it MOT'd before they will register it and the NCT doesn't count. On the brightside there is no VRT and just a fee for registration. Should you sell your car back into the south later it should be VRT emempt as you have already paid it on purchase. The Certificate of conformity is not standard issue in the Republic and as I say can take some work to get, in some cases it has to come from the manufacturer. They will require the chasis number etc to issue. Once you have registered it you';ll be issued with a plate and can tax.

If you are not moving long term then you might be able to keep the irish reg depending on your insurance company.

It might be worth looking at selling your car and buying a NI one anyway as they are cheaper and usually better spec. You will find some explaining when in the south with a northern reg if you come down often especially if you keep your Irish License so carry proof of residence when back home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement