Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E39 M5???

Options
  • 27-02-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Did a search but can't find any threads, despite thinking they had been discussed before.

Any opinions, I know Junkyard has one, won't be doing many miles, up to say €30k there are a couple on Carzone but fearful of running into big bills soon after purchase (are they worse for this than say a CL500???)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

One of the finest cars out there and also a pleasure to drive.
    Keep in mind though, however stunning or if one appears to be in pristine condition do not touch anything without a full service history.

Most likely you will not get one from a main BMW dealership but if you could bring the key of the one tempting you, to a main dealer they will be able to tell you it's history. If it wasn't looked after walk away no matter how tempted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have and don't think I'd ever sell it tbh, probably the best car I've ever owned. They're getting cheap enough in the UK now at this stage, if you do your home work you'll find a bargain alright. Asking prices are just that, serious offers are always worth a shot if the buyer really want to sell, the only problem is most sellers don't really want to sell as the M5 is such a great car. Good luck with it if you do get it you won't be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Going to look at the two in Dublin tomorrow, although I have noticed a few nice looking newer shape 5's for €30k-ish. Will see what happens :)

@Junkyard - What have the maintenance costs been like?

Depending on how you drive it really, tyres and oil in that order if your having fun, oh and petrol, 12 to 18 to the gallon, no mechanical problems really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

junkyard wrote: »
    12 to 18 to the gallon

Ouch

• Advertisement

mick.fr wrote: »
    Ouch

Not as bad as a 4.6 Range Rover I once had, 6 to 11 mpg on a good day. I swear the thing used to shudder passing filling stations, the guy on the pumps used to ask me to turn off the engine when refueling as he couldn't keep up with the petrol pump!:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Thinking I could bank the money I have towards a more expensive SUV (X3 3.0i or older X5) in case of issues post-warranty...very confused about my next car choice at the moment, but will get there in the end...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Not as bad as a 4.6 Range Rover I once had, 6 to 11 mpg on a good day.
    I know a lad with an ML320 that does 7mpg on a run. I reckon it's stuck in 1st or something but it's all part of the "prestige" for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know a lad with an ML320 that does 7mpg on a run. I reckon it's stuck in 1st or something but it's all part of the "prestige" for him.

Wow. Someone that actually enjoys low mpg. My eyes are getting wider to world every day.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know a lad with an ML320 that does 7mpg on a run.

He must be pushing very hard...

• Advertisement

It's like a reverse auction as to who has the heaviest car on fuel, I have a 5.3 Jag and if you fill the two tanks, leave it for 2 or 3 weeks and go back to it the tanks are nearly empty and it's not even running, I think it's a ghost in the tank or something, no petrol on the ground or anything either!:eek:

Wow. Someone that actually enjoys low mpg. My eyes are getting wider to world every day.

It's a status thing, you have to be in the golden circle ;).

It's like a reverse auction as to who has the heaviest car on fuel, I have a 5.3 Jag and if you fill the two tanks, leave it for 2 or 3 weeks and go back to it the tanks are nearly empty and it's not even running, I think it's a ghost in the tank or something, no petrol on the ground or anything either!:eek:

Liquid evaporation?

mick.fr wrote: »
    Liquid evaporation?

It's something to do with the shape of the tanks I believe, needless to say I only fill it when I'm using it now.

Advertisement