Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moriarty's hissy fit in the Politics forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I'm not sure where I agreed that discussion would unduly influence someone. I would however agree that discussion would provoke consideration of a topic. The topic already existed, the OP bypassed the topic to create a new thread to get exposure and to post up a couple of links which were swayed in one particular direction..

Anyshakes, I'm nay really bothered what way the wind blows on this issue. I'm away back to the nest to nurse my head cold..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Irish Wolf wrote: »

Anyshakes, I'm nay really bothered what way the wind blows on this issue. I'm away back to the nest to nurse my head cold..

Lemsip it up man!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

TelePaul wrote: »
    If this is the case I don't really see the point of a politics forum. Anyways, I'm out. I've had my say, I think every aspect of this banning is just ridiculous.
    What banning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Sherifu wrote: »
    What banning?

Damn my late-night postings!!!! Nice spot sherifu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Overheal wrote: »
    Aye being slanderous about the original poster while maintaining the same cannot be done of a politician for example, seems wrong.

Look up what slander means.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who things Moriarty was too soft? I mean, I find the original thread insulting.

mike65 wrote: »
    Good mods are like the best refs, you hardly notice thier handiwork.

Mike.
    Usually, yes. He's explained his reason for changing the thread title.
    Boston wrote: »
    Am I the only one who things Moriarty was too soft? I mean, I find the original thread insulting.
    It is misleading at best.

Dishonest.

You know, we should have a rule here that you can't actually complain unless you've done no wrong to begin with wrt the issue. Think its called the clean hands requirement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

All I would have done differently had I been mod is move the thread as opposed to locking it and changing the title followed by a PM the the OP quickly explaining why it was moved.

If I had left the thread in the forum then I probably wopuld have chosen a less insulting title as 'RabbleRabbleRabble'.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Moriarty wrote: »
    The thread was yet another attempt at undermining the Lisbon Treaty in the eyes of voters via misleading and spurious arguements.

Thanks for responding.

The thread was honestly not an attempt to undermine the Lisbon Treaty. I endeavoured to keep it free of bias. I was simply wondering how others felt about the fact that, as I understood it, the European Union had decided not to respect the Irish result.
    Moriarty wrote:
    I'm all for open debate but it's unacceptable to be making implications like you did - that the European Parliament will somehow ignore a "No" vote from Ireland and force through the lisbon treaty - when it's completely untrue and muddying the waters.

I made no implications. I actually was not clear on what the vote itself meant and was requesting feedback from others to see if a 'No' result would indeed be ignored. Hence my questions at the end of the original post.
    Moriarty wrote:
    I do not accept that you arrived at the wording of your thread title by accident - it was a deliberate attempt to let another snipet of "The EU is up to no good, the bastards" into the minds of people seeing the thread title on the main page of boards every time it was replied to and on the front page of the politics forum.

I really don't understand why you feel this way. I have not even made up my mind up on the Lisbon Treaty and haven't even posted in the Lisbon Treaty thread itself. I'm not even a regular contributor to the politics forum as you'll know yourself. The point of the thread I created was to get feedback on what I perceived to be the EU deliberately ignoring our democratic wishes. A topic I felt was worthy of discussion.

It seems from reading this thread that you have to deal with a fair few muppets on the politics forum and I appreciate you haven't an easy job there but I felt your behaviour towards me was OTT. Do you not see why I feel that way? If not, fair enough but I had hoped we could come to an understanding.
    Moriarty wrote:
    I can't prevent a lot of that despicable behaviour going on all around us, but I sure as hell can prevent it from happening on the politics forum. If it wasn't a politically loaded topic, I wouldn't have edited it. All I did edit was the thread title, your original post is otherwise entirely intact.

Come on, man. 'Despicable behaviour'? From me?
    Moriarty wrote:
    It's a non-issue. It's a completely engineered misreading of parliamentary business for the sole purpose of placing mistrust of EU institutions in the centre of peoples minds months before an important referendum. Scofflaw had explained exactly why that was the case in multiple posts in the thread. Therefore, thread closed. As I mentioned in my post, debate on the Lisbon Treaty itself is more than welcome in the main thread on the topic.

I didn't engineer anything. You'll notice the sources I provided in the thread. I trusted that these sources were correct about what they were talking about. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to do so. If they weren't correct, that is fair enough but this could have been explained to me without implying that I was deliberately trying to mislead people and without editing my thread title in a patronising fashion.

At the end of the day I'm not a bad person and I would have appreciated some more courtesy that's all. I accept that you have locked the thread now. Like I said above I'd just like for us to come to an understanding. At the end of the day it's up to you. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The thread was honestly not an attempt to undermine the Lisbon Treaty. I endeavoured to keep it free of bias. I was simply wondering how others felt about the fact that, as I understood it, the European Union had decided not to respect the Irish result.

Your understanding is incorrect. According to your own links:
    The amendment was moved by the Left group in the parliament the GEU/NGL Group, they merely sought to add the words "undertakes to respect the outcome of the referendum in Ireland?, to a resolution on "More Democratic Accountability".

THE EU does not have the power to ignore the outcome of the referendum in Ireland. The ammendment was defeated becuase a vote in favour of which would be illegal, i.e supposedly granting the EU the power to ignore the result of a referendum here.

If you did not understand what you were posting then you did not understand why your thread was deleted. Now that you have been corrected I am sure that you are most grateful to the mod for clearing up your and others "misunderstanding". Try educating yourself on the issue chicken licken beofre you go shouting that the sky is falling down

SetantaL wrote: »
    THE EU does not have the power to ignore the outcome of the referendum in Ireland. The ammendment was defeated becuase a vote in favour of which would be illegal, i.e supposedly granting the EU the power to ignore the result of a referendum here.

The EU ignored the outcome of the original Nice Treaty referendum in Ireland so surely they could do the same again if they don't get their desired result on the Lisbon Treaty?
    SetantaL wrote:
    Try educating yourself on the issue chicken licken beofre you go shouting that the sky is falling down.

It was more a case of asking whether or not the sky was falling down. Try educating yourself on the benefits of politeness before you go shouting out your snide, condescending remarks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The EU ignored the outcome of the original Nice Treaty referendum in Ireland so surely they could do the same again if they don't get their desired result on the Lisbon Treaty?
    Going to jump back in here. This is exactly the sort of misinformation we're talking about.

Plus, this isn't the forum to discuss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

As I have found to my own detriment, the politics forum is not a place where debate is allowed.

If like me and you get banned, take it on the chin.

Debate is not only allowed, but is the raison d'être of the Politics forum.

Lies and disinformation stifle debate, they don't promote it. Neither does trolling.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And no one was banned? What exactly is the problem? There was a live discussion of the topic, a new one wasnt needed.

WTF?

Did I just sit through reading 3 pages of ars€ because you had a duplicate thread locked?!

Don't discuss the referendum here, this is Feedback. This thread has 12 hours to live unless someone can tell me that the mod didnt just do a normal clean and scrub on this thread. Probably should have just been deleted imho.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Probably should have just been deleted imho.

DeV.

This way it serves as a warning to others who might try the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I am NOT a racist!

Tranny wrote: »
    I am NOT a racist!
    Shut up tranny.

DeVore wrote: »
    And no one was banned? What exactly is the problem? There was a live discussion of the topic, a new one wasnt needed.

WTF?

Did I just sit through reading 3 pages of ars€ because you had a duplicate thread locked?!

Don't discuss the referendum here, this is Feedback. This thread has 12 hours to live unless someone can tell me that the mod didnt just do a normal clean and scrub on this thread. Probably should have just been deleted imho.

DeV.

It wasn't a duplicate thread. It was a thread pertaining to a vote in the EU Parliament in which 449 members voted against the following:
    Undertakes to respect the outcome of the referendum in Ireland.

As I stated in my original post:
    Regardless of whether you support or object to the EU Constitution/Lisbon Treaty, I'd like to know what people think of the European Union effectively saying that our opinions don't matter and that they won't respect the outcome of the referendum?

It was a thread intended to discuss how people felt the EU were respecting our democratic wishes. I didn't want it to be anything to do with the Lisbon Treaty.

I understand though if you want to lock the thread, DeV. I appreciate the opportunity to air my side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's already a thread on Lisbon in the forum, and it's already full of lies and misinformation. Another thread whose sole purpose was to offer yet more misinformation on the subject was, shall we say, less than welcome.

yes what were you thinking of Mr Nice Guy the politics mods know everything they don't need the clutter of your opinion - STFU unless you want more cat pics

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Plus, this isn't the forum to discuss it.

And now you're banned you can't :)

GiantCat2E.jpg

N8 wrote: »
    yes what were you thinking of Mr Nice Guy the politics mods know everything they don't need the clutter of your opinion...
    We may not know everything, but we're pretty sure that a Yes vote to the Lisbon treaty won't lead to paedophilia being legalised in Ireland, which is what some posters would have us believe.

Like I said, lies and misinformation.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is turning into a debate on the topic. In fact is has been for some time.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement