Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modding my mk golf

Options
  • 27-02-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.. Some of ye might rememeber me talking here before about modding my mk4 but wit some major set backs ( broke my arm so couldnt work). Im now on my way of doin it up. So far iv bought a Golf Mk4 25th anniversary full body kit. Which is in the post at da mo. Thinking of getting a badge less grill for the front. 17inch mk5 vw r32 alloys. New front fog lights. il prob have to lower it. Put a sports back box on. and maybe a hid light kit if i go all out :D.. So what ye guys think?? Anymore ideas for me? il post a pic now of how it looks at the mo abd will update with more pics when i have stuff done..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Hey vain sweet car and the plans sound good,there might be an issue with fog lights blocking the air flow to the intercooler though,i think you have a sdie monted inter cooler i.e its in behind the drivers side lower bumper vent.

I would go with 18"s all the way to finish the look,also a HID kit sounds sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is it a real GTI or is it a badge? It just got me thinking will 17inch mk5 vw r32 alloys fit that golf?:confused: Sounds like a nice project, keep posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 link.chris

smooth it lower it, angel eyes, tint the back three windows! thats what im doing to mine, so far i have the back box an alloys on, tints an lowering next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

i've one myself, black angel eyes, smoked rear lights, 17" OZ's, mesh grill. I wanna make it very euro-like. So the plan is to debadge it, get a set of deep dish BBS' and lower it a bit. But time and money are the issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Don't like the rear lights tbh, I think the original GTI smoked ones look much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

sorry guys thats an old pic of the car when i got it.. the gti badge is long gone as its not a gti:(. and ya the mk5 r32 alloys will fit alright. i also am goin for a euro

link.chris wrote: »
    smooth it lower it, angel eyes, tint the back three windows! thats what im doing to mine, so far i have the back box an alloys on, tints an lowering next

Can you post any pics of yours so i can see how it looks?

KidCapree wrote: »
    i've one myself, black angel eyes, smoked rear lights, 17" OZ's, mesh grill. I wanna make it very euro-like. So the plan is to debadge it, get a set of deep dish BBS' and lower it a bit. But time and money are the issues

Any chance of you posting a pic of yours up 2?

Vain wrote: »
    sorry guys thats an old pic of the car when i got it.. the gti badge is long gone as its not a gti:(. and ya the mk5 r32 alloys will fit alright. i also am goin for a euro

Mk5 alloys wont fit the will have to be replicas.

tossy wrote: »
    Mk5 alloys wont fit the will have to be replicas.

i know ya. the ones im getting are going to be replicas. I know people are goin to say they are very heavy but speed doesnt bother me as long as my car looks mint. i can always put a bigger engine in some other time

• Advertisement

Well just got the gti 25th anniversary kit today.. Looks good to me anyway.. I tryed on the front splitter part and if i say so myself it looks good:D also tryed the skirts and spoiler all seem to be fitting well.. Il post pics of the kit hard to take pics of them btw.. So anyone got any idea how much il be expecting to pay to spary it?? Total cost of kit 305.00

looks good, best of luck with it.

looks good, best of luck with it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Hey, plans going good so far. Whered you get the kit from? Is it fiberglass or ABS?

Hey, plans going good so far. Whered you get the kit from? Is it fiberglass or ABS?

its grp (glass reinforced plastic) prob not the best but will do :D got it off ebay

Ya plan going good now prob will slow down now a bit as da alloys will be costly

are u fitting it soon or what? how much are u paying to get it painted? oh and what kinda alloys u going for? (sorry for all the questions.. fellow mk4 person here)

are u fitting it soon or what? how much are u paying to get it painted? oh and what kinda alloys u going for? (sorry for all the questions.. fellow mk4 person here)

Ya asp.. Duno yet about costs have two guys asked so must wait for them to get back to me.. As for alloys id love to get a set of 17inch bbs but very costly.. Prob end up going for a set of mk5 17inch r32 replicas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

Vain wrote: »
    its grp (glass reinforced plastic) prob not the best but will do :D got it off ebay

Ya plan going good now prob will slow down now a bit as da alloys will be costly

GRP is fibre glass, i asked that question some time back here on boards, but sure generally all bodykits unless there an OEM are fibreglass.
    Id go for the r32 mk4 alloys, i have em on mine, had them (18") on a 1.4 golf before but put way to much torque on the engine when going up an incline so id go for 17"'s

GRP is fibre glass, i asked that question some time back here on boards, but sure generally all bodykits unless there an OEM are fibreglass.
    Id go for the r32 mk4 alloys, i have em on mine, had them (18") on a 1.4 golf before but put way to much torque on the engine when going up an incline so id go for 17"'s

Dont suppose u have a pic of them on the car do ya?

MK4 R32's:
    14940_a.jpg

I've 18" deep dish BBS's on mine

• Advertisement

Which BBS ones you have?

MK4 R32's:
    14940_a.jpg

I've 18" deep dish BBS's on mine

Ya there nice alright still kinda think the mk5s are nicer

Got a quote of 250 euro to spray the kit. And id have to fit it myself.. As i havnt dones this before is this price on the dear side or good? Im waiting on a price from another guy 2 so must see who comes in the cheapest.

Cheers

Something like this i wouldnt go with the cheapest just to save-try get a look at some of their previous work esp a job they did maybe a year ago.

Colour matching and fitting a body kit well is not something every panel beater can do.

Which BBS ones you have?

LM's, got them the other day

Something like this i wouldnt go with the cheapest just to save-try get a look at some of their previous work esp a job they did maybe a year ago.

Colour matching and fitting a body kit well is not something every panel beater can do.

Ya thats true the guy im waiting for the price on is good he has his own mk2 golf and done it him self and its mint now. He got it outa a field and had grass growing in it.. You should see it now tho its unreal.. Will prob get him to do it.. Will take time tho as i say his busy but will prob be worth it

LM's, got them the other day

Nice choice one of my favourite BBS wheels(possibly my second fav :D )

Did you go for 18"s? do you mind me asking how much oyu paid for them?

Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MasterModds

Are you gona be doing anything in relation to the engine. This is just me but i would rather get the engine tuned first.
    But in my opinion the exhaust system is the main thing to begin with, mainly because you want to make more horsepower and torque in your engine. By doing this you want to get rid of exhaust gases. These effect the overall performance of your car.

The idea behind a good exhaust system is to get the least amount of backpressure as is possible once you are past the headers. In relation to exhaust headers, they should be selected that are tuned for maximum performance.

After this you should take in consideration the induction, hotter air from inside the engine is less dense than the air that is outside the engine. Which then means the less of oxygen getting this means the less power you then recieve.

I agree that modifying the car, yes it looks great but many petrol heads will want you to pop that bonnet up and check out your engine, the not so petrol heads will walk around the car and just smile, lol.

Good luck with the car and when you get it done, if you dont mind throwing up some pics of it, cheers.

Are you gona be doing anything in relation to the engine. This is just me but i would rather get the engine tuned first.
    But in my opinion the exhaust system is the main thing to begin with, mainly because you want to make more horsepower and torque in your engine. By doing this you want to get rid of exhaust gases. These effect the overall performance of your car.

The idea behind a good exhaust system is to get the least amount of backpressure as is possible once you are past the headers. In relation to exhaust headers, they should be selected that are tuned for maximum performance.

After this you should take in consideration the induction, hotter air from inside the engine is less dense than the air that is outside the engine. Which then means the less of oxygen getting this means the less power you then recieve.

I agree that modifying the car, yes it looks great but many petrol heads will want you to pop that bonnet up and check out your engine, the not so petrol heads will walk around the car and just smile, lol.

Good luck with the car and when you get it done, if you dont mind throwing up some pics of it, cheers.

Yes i do plan on putting a 1.8 gti engine into it next year when iv more no clams built up and on a better wage.

Cheers for the interest will keep up dated

• Advertisement

Nice choice one of my favourite BBS wheels(possibly my second fav :D )

Did you go for 18"s? do you mind me asking how much oyu paid for them?

Shane.

lets just say they werent cheap :p Nah i paid 1100 with tyres. Trade discount

Advertisement