Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopping for customs dipping diesel

Options
  • 27-02-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just looking to know if a motorist has to stop for the customs checking the colour of diesel if there is no garda present with them. If members dont know could you please inform me of specific places to look for this detailed information. have looked on the Revenue.ie site but dont see much. Also what powers do such officers have.

regards
    Elstemed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Customs officers are one of the authorities which you are legally obliged to stop for on the road, just like the Gardai. Don't know about the dipping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

AFAIK they have more power than the garda.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

They don't have the Guards with them and have similar power to the guards!
    they can seize a car there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Is there something you need to tell us.............?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Yes you do you are required to stop for customs, if you look at the customs or vat acts itll be contained somewhere there

Found this during a google search

"Revenue officers engaged in Customs or Excise duties may request
    a driver to bring a motor vehicle (and this includes a container or
    trailer) to a halt, where it is reasonably believed that smuggled
    goods or excisable products are being carried. They may also
    request a vehicle to stop in order to check payment of Vehicle
    Registration Tax. Normally, a vehicle will be stopped by uniformed
    officers and clearly visible signs will be placed at appropriate
    intervals at the roadside. Inspection of the vehicle and goods will be
    carried out as quickly as possible. Officers may also request that
    Statement of Practice SP- Gen/1/94 (Revised February 2006)
    boats, vessels, and other conveyances be brought to a halt for
    examination."

• Advertisement

fabsoul wrote: »
    AFAIK they have more power than the garda.

True and un true, guards have a wider range of laws to enforce, but customs have certain benfits like not having to prove the onus of guilt in certain cases

EG its up to you to prove that suitcase of cigarettes are for personal use, customs dont have to prove theyre not all for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Revenue are trying to grab every penny at the moment since the economy has stalled so expect plenty witchhunts from now on :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In your driving test then ask 4 groups of people you have to stop for.
    Customs are definitly allowed to stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Elstemed

friend of mine drove through a customs check point earlier this week. they were no signs present to say it was a customs check point and only a individual at a crossroads. he was fairly suspect about the individual and decide for his safety it was better to keep moving. the customs tracked him down and took diesel samples a few days later and sent them off for inspection. he feels that the samples have no reason but to come back as negative but then feels they will persue him for driving off. this is like a
    Fr Ted story of a friend of a friend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junkyard wrote: »
    Revenue are trying to grab every penny at the moment since the economy has stalled so expect plenty witchhunts from now on :(.

How is stopping people doing something illegal a witchhunt?

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    In your driving test then ask 4 groups of people you have to stop for.
    Customs are definitly allowed to stop you.

who besides the guards and customs do you have to stop for???

army??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think you have to obey workers operating a stop/go system. Maybe they count that?

Persons in control of animals and school crossing wardens

The stop go thing is you stop for the stop sign not the operator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Call me ignorant if you must but why in the name of god would they stop you to check your diesel? Does it change color when you have a few hundred grams of coke in your belly or something?

ha ha. the reason for customs dipping diesel is to check that the vehicle is running on white diesel and not Marked Gas Oil (kerosene or ag diesel). its a stupid system that should be done away with and replaced with a rebate system for current legal users of MGO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thought they didn't dip any more, they stick a sensor into the exhaust and can tell from that??

I reckon I'd be a bit cautious if I saw someone alone at a crossroads with no signs up.

Still dip, need a physical sample to send to state lab for anaylisis, the sensor is hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Reminds me of a good story of a friend of mine who is in the coastguard -

A few months ago he was driving in his own Land Rover - I think it's an '83 model with a split windscreen - very like the modern defender model - - anyway he comes to a revenue checkpoint around Youghal bridge in Co.Cork and this very officious young customs officer comes to him and tells him she's going to dip his tank to check for red diesel - he being very nice and polite tells her no she is not and to stop wasting his time .. Anyway she's insisting and then giving way to ordering him to turn off his engine and pull over to the side of the road ... she gets frustrated and calls over her superior and he arrives on the scene and she explains the situation - he comes over looks at the Land Rover and then apologies to my friend and tells him to move on ....

now my friend never heard the conversation between the two revenue people .. but it must have been a shock to the young officer to discover that not every Land Rover is a diesel.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Be some craic when they stop me. Biodiesel with duty paid on it. It's piss yellow, that's probably a color the don't come accross to regularly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

my mate got stopped in his classic mini and got dipped... it pains me to think this is where my tax is going :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Do they have to ask your permission to dip your tank? Or have reasonible grounds? Maybe I've seen to many CSI programs but by dipping your tank are they not performing a search on something that is not in plain sight?

Now if they put a sensor in the exhaust and it lights up then they have grounds for suspision and dipping, but going straight to dipping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

You see the customs checkpoint you funcking stop.
    Customs can do almost anything so you just shut up and and do what they ask you to do.

You use an illegal petrol, assume your stupidity and pay the price.
    We are not gonna cry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

I've read up a fair bit on the revenue website before about customs checkpoints and it states that you can only be stopped by a customs officer if they are wearing their full uniform including hat.You may laugh at this but its true.I'll try and find the section/act where it is stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Found it:

http://www.revenue.ie/services/foi/s16_2001/min_pt4.pdf

Check Part 4 MOTOR VEHICLE FUEL, Section 3 POWERS OF OFFICERS.Around page 21/22.
    Elstemed, I wouldn't be too inclined to stop for a lad wearing a hi viz vest standing in the road either

Hope this helps..

after reading the document from te revenue next time i come across a checkpoint i will stop check the officers are in full uniform and the likes and then point it out to them and head off on my merry way. easy lads this guy wasnt using green diesel he just didnt stop for them because they didnt look official. will pass on that document alo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Customs have more powers than the cops when it comes to search warrents and seisures of property including your car. If they are dipping they can insist on taking a sample from the fuel pump if they suspect you are using a false tank. As regards not wearing a hat I would not like to challenge them on that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

shanel23 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a good story of a friend of mine who is in the coastguard -

A few months ago he was driving in his own Land Rover - I think it's an '83 model with a split windscreen - very like the modern defender model - - anyway he comes to a revenue checkpoint around Youghal bridge in Co.Cork and this very officious young customs officer comes to him and tells him she's going to dip his tank to check for red diesel - he being very nice and polite tells her no she is not and to stop wasting his time .. Anyway she's insisting and then giving way to ordering him to turn off his engine and pull over to the side of the road ... she gets frustrated and calls over her superior and he arrives on the scene and she explains the situation - he comes over looks at the Land Rover and then apologies to my friend and tells him to move on ....

now my friend never heard the conversation between the two revenue people .. but it must have been a shock to the young officer to discover that not every Land Rover is a diesel.. :)

This must be a snopes story or something. I was waiting at Pembroke dock for a ferry once, got talking to a very nice Customs senior (Could have been sussing me for all I knew, who cares?). Told me of a fu nny story on the UK roads. He was driving a UK petrol Land Rover thingy (The hardcore thingies with snorkel etc.). He got asked by Customs to pull over. He got a bit thick, tellin them to fup off in a polite way. Newbie Customs officer got arrogant and demanded he pulled over. So over he pulled, and Customs dippped him. Customs officer was shocked to discover that the tank was full of petrol... n00b! Then the driver showed his (customs officer) badge, told the newbie he had a terrible attitude and drove on....

.... All a story I was told by the Customs guy while waiting at the terminal (we went into customs building asking if we could use the toilet... good thing we had nothing to hide, we didnt know where we were going!) could be bull, but still made for some entertainment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

If you are caught with the wrong diesel whats the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

EDIT: my mistake. The document clearly defines the customs uniform as including Hat and badge.
    It is to be noted that officers have no authority to stop vehicles under Section
    134 of the Act unless they are dressed in proper official uniform. In this
    context an officer is not considered to be “in uniform” unless the officer is
    wearing each of the following officially issued garments:-
    1. Headgear: Hat and badge.
    2. Upper Body: Shirt or blouse with a tie or cravat; and / or Jumper,
    Vest, Jacket (including high visibility jacket) and Coat.
    The outer garment must bear rank markings.
    3. Lower Body: Trousers or slacks or skirt.
    It is an offence, liable on summary conviction to a penalty of (€1900), to
    resist, obstruct, or impede an officer in the exercise of this power (Sections
    123 & 124, Finance Act, 2001 refers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

JohnCleary wrote: »
    This must be a snopes story or something. I was waiting at Pembroke dock for a ferry once, got talking to a very nice Customs senior (Could have been sussing me for all I knew, who cares?). Told me of a fu nny story on the UK roads. He was driving a UK petrol Land Rover thingy (The hardcore thingies with snorkel etc.). He got asked by Customs to pull over. He got a bit thick, tellin them to fup off in a polite way. Newbie Customs officer got arrogant and demanded he pulled over. So over he pulled, and Customs dippped him. Customs officer was shocked to discover that the tank was full of petrol... n00b! Then the driver showed his (customs officer) badge, told the newbie he had a terrible attitude and drove on....

.... All a story I was told by the Customs guy while waiting at the terminal (we went into customs building asking if we could use the toilet... good thing we had nothing to hide, we didnt know where we were going!) could be bull, but still made for some entertainment :D

If you met this character you'd know it was for real - still has the old land rover parked up in his driveway

Advertisement