Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork People Are Stupid

Options
  • 27-02-2008 9:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

and so are Kerry people ....and to a lesser extent Donegal people.

There can be no other explanation for a flurry of planning applications that eircom sent into these county councils late last year .

The planning applications were for ignorant 25 masts in the middle of (or on the edge of) a series of towns in the South West...and a few to test the water in Donegal . This froma company that sold a scatter of masts themselves last year too :(

From what I can make out the totals were

18 odd in Cork, 4 in Donegal and 6 in Kerry .

None were sent into Galway or Mayo or Sligo ...yet , Clare is unsearchable ( I think so anyway) and Limerick is down at the moment .

The commonality is this . Eircom has what they think is a very cute way of describing what is normally called a 25 metre mast . Country people in Cork and Kerry and Donegal would be too thick to understand .

This one in Kerry , typical of what was sent in, was refused , as were all the Kerry ones .
    CONSTRUCT A 25 METRE SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3 NO, RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES (GARDA, AMBULANE AND FIRRE BRIGADE) TOGETHER WITH ALL ASSOCIATED EQUIPTMENT FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERVICE
    Development Address: EIRCOM EXCHANGE, ABBEYFEALE ROAD, BROSNA WEST, CO KERRY

There is a load of crap about eircom exchanges being ' secure sites ' for this equipment . Secure means build a big ugly chain fence around a bit of a field with an exchange already in it .

There is plenty of guff about how they ' hid' a 25 metre mast behind a 4m high exchange , you can see that process depicted on page 44 of the pdf in the middle of the link above.

Hidden is a misnomer in this case. The drawings are generally right at the end of the PDFs in the Kerry applications .

What eircom told nobody is that they will generally also put an existing Vodafone 2g cell on the mast + Meteor 2g + Eircom 3g and possibly Vodafone 3g to boot .

There are plenty of adequate secure sites for this equipment such as any mast owned or leased by O2 or Vodafone in the area already .....but the lure of the shekel is as strong as ever.

The other live Kerry applications are

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=074250
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=074266
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=074647
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0836

The list of Cork applications is attached below should anyone be interested in them. Cork has not really decided what to do with them, unlike Kerry and Donegal .

Donegal told them to look properly for sites next time.

I fell that all of rural Ireland will know the phrase "Support Pole" before very long .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

25 m?
    is that not bigger than normal? Are average cell masts not about 15m so you don't get too much coverage?

Is that like twice the height of a semi-detached?

What do they really want these for? Can't Tetra pay for space on the the exsisting phone masts and masts they sold to Threefold.

Or is our 100% GSM coverage a lie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Limerick fixed their site, there are 3 applications for these megamasts and 1 in each of Wexford and Waterford in recent weeks,

They can put one in my garden as long as I can use it too.

The least signal BTW is under a mast, for those that DO worry about masts. They don't wish to illuminate the clouds or ground and waste power
    so the signal is like
    > <
     |
    _|_ ground

around the mast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

I have read, with interest, the post about masts in Cork. I come from a farming family, which lives near one of the proposed masts referred to by Sponge Bob. I agree that on this topic that 'Cork People are Stupid'.

The area in which it is proposed to locate this mast is in the middle of the country, 8 miles from a town. We have no great need for high tech garda communications. The mast would have a disastrous effect on the landscape. It is so high. The herd of dairy cows, on which we depend for an income, winter within 200m of the proposed mast. They are pregnant during this period. Our family home is also within 200m of the proposed mast.

Well done to Kerry Co Council for prohibiting masts within 1km of residential properties.

Well done to Kerry Co Council for having regard for the visual amenity of their county, which they regard as a major economic asset.

What will Cork Co Council do?

Does anybody have any advice for me? I am preparing an objection, to be submitted in the next 24 hours.

m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A whole 200m? By god, ye'll all have cancer by the end of the day! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

thanks

You're welcome. Do you have any particular reason for objecting to the proposed mast, or is it just a kneejerk "not in my backyard" reaction? Your comment that the cows will be pregnant suggests a health concern, the evidence for which I would be fascinated with.

adam

if you get REALLY close to > 2GHz high power Microwave you get cataracts (peer into a waveguide or stand in front of a radar dish). In over a 100 years of UHF and 70 years Microwave usage no other health effects have been proven.

1km away may have a stronger signal than 200m away on a 25m mast. The larger height mast is to give about x4 to x10 coverage compared to a mobile phone cell.

The TG4 from Mulliganish or Spur hill is about 1000x power and a similar band.

Tetra is fairly low tech. The data rate is pathetic. There are high tech systems that allow a PDA to be used to see photos or or printed info. Eircom's tetra is basically just to allow the Garda to talk securely. It needs much better / wider coverage than mobile phone and cells can be huge due to much fewer users.

The wrong kind of weeds or too much fertiliser can have an effect on cows. But not Radio masts or electricity pylons. It's not Ionising Radiation like Uranium or Strontium 90 gives off.

Your own phone will give you x100 to x1000 more radio waves than any mast.

watty wrote: »
    Your own phone will give you x100 to x1000 more radio waves than any mast.
    People that object to masts shouldn't be allowed to use wireless devices. No mobile phones, no wireless interntet at home or in hotels or airports, no wireless keyboards and mice, no DECT phones. No radio, no TV, no GPS. No army or navy, no Gardai, no ambulances. No nothing, just a tinfoil hat and a copy of The Catcher in the Rye.

adam

Or electricity too. All that 50Hz radiation :)

• Advertisement

That's the stuff that gives you the extra bad cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with the OP, Cork people are stupid...and kerry people :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have now decided that Mayo people are stupid too so its Support Poles Ahoy

I feel that Mayo people are not stupid at all so I would urge their County Council planners to attach conditions to all these masts.

These are

1. obliging a mast share condition for any licenced operator at no more than €3000 a year

2. for a package of 4 antennae and base station hardware and electricity and in the top 5m of the mast unless an operator is already ON the mast in that spot and

3. 2 x Point to point antennae and associated base station hardware included and

4. No more than €1,500 in one off setup costs and a published schedule of access charges and times accessible and callout charges m by further information .

5. Eircom to publish the contact to whom you go for this package and keep Mayo County Coucil up to date at all times.

And ALL

"In the interests of proper planning and development"

of course.

Cork County Council did not such thing with their support poles. If you are going to ask for permission to build a horse of a mast then it should be available to all operators at a reasonable cost . The Cork Planners do not seem to realise this .

Status08290 EIRCOM LTD
    EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN 2
    EIRCOM EXCHANGE
    KILLADOON E.D
    AILLEMORE
    TO CONSTRUCT A 15M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO. RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application;08301 EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN2

EIRCOM EXCHANGE
    TOORBUCK
    AGHAGOWER NORTH
    TO CONSTRUCT 15M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMETN FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERCVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application;08299 EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN 2

GWEESALIA ED
    RATH HILL
    CO MAYO
    TO CONSTRUCT 15M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMETN FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERCVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application;08298 EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN 2

EIRCOM EXCHANGE
    CHURCHFIELD
    KNOCK
    TO CONSTRUCT A 20M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application;08300 EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN 2

EIRCOM EXCHANGE
    BUNACURRY
    ACHILL
    TO CONSTRUCT 15M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMETN FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERCVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application;08295 EIRCOM LTD
    114 ST STEPHENS GREEN
    DUBLIN 2

EIRCOM EXCHANGE
    TOWN PLOTS EAST
    KILLALA
    TO CONSTRUCT A 20M SUPPORT POLE TO CARRY 3NO. RADIO AERIALS FOR USE BY THE EMERGENCY SERVICES TOGETHER WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT FOR A NEW NATIONAL DIGITAL RADIO SERVICE AT THE EIRCOM EXCHANGE29/02/2008New Application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

In general people are idiots, all afraid of their own shadows. Today it's WiFi or WIMAX or mobile phones, after all the biggest source of radiation is the sun. Are we going to block out the sun like Mr Burns in the Simpsons. As for planners why does every house in Mayo have to have a wooden door?

Advertisement